jenniferx
Conscript

A little confused about the luck thing

Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:57 am

Hi. On three tries as the CP I use the Moltke plan for the Germans and the Eugen plan for AH. In the first two rounds of combat I destroy between 6 - 9 Russian corp and take Lodz. The turn ends with me getting -3 for NW due to losses but offset by gains on the battlefield. So I'm neutral on NW.

So Russia gets a bunch of minus NW points for their poor showing and losses etc.

Then here's the strange part. They get a special message indicating they get a special NW bonus of 1 to 6 for some kind of reason (I don't remember the specific message). Okay, once I get. Luck right? But on three separate games with the same basic fact situation? At the same point in the game? That doesn't seem right. Is there a behind the scenes trigger causing this? That almost seems like its scripted.

Like I say, I get once. It should be a rather rare chance for that to occur. Like rolling double sixes or ones. But three times? REALLY?

So please let me know if this just blind luck. Or it's designed this way. Sorry, I don't have a save game.

Thanks.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:10 am

What you're probably seeing is a National Resurgence which has a 33% chance of happening if a fortress or certain cities are taken. See page 15 of the Big Manual for details.

A one-in-three chance means that what you have seen is not statistically unlikely and it appears that major disasters might trigger multiple National Resurgence tests in a single turn.

Bad luck for you but good luck for the Czar.

-C

jenniferx
Conscript

Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Okay. I think that was the language in the message. My, this game is a proverbial onion isn't it?

Thank you for the explanation. Section 2.5.3, pages 15-16.

J

Revan
Corporal

Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:37 am

Hmmm, if you have a specific message that says they can have a 1 to 6 NM bonus, i think the AI has juste play an event "National Morale" which give him this bonus. You can use it too.
I see it rather frequently in my first drop of events, so why not the AI?

calvinus

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:47 am

Revan wrote:Hmmm, if you have a specific message that says they can have a 1 to 6 NM bonus, i think the AI has juste play an event "National Morale" which give him this bonus. You can use it too.
I see it rather frequently in my first drop of events, so why not the AI?

Yes, confirmed. That's a event drawn and played (by AI). This event 'National Morale' can be drawn and used also by human players, of course. Just a matter of luck!...
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”