TheDoctorKing

Explanation of naval war - "Something seems to be wrong with our bloody ships today"

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Is there a FAQ page someone can point me to that explains how naval war works? I have had the following experience several times:

Playing as the Entente, it is spring 1915. I notice that the German High Seas Fleet is out in the North Sea on a "control" mission. Cackling with glee, I send the British Home and Scouting Fleets out to demolish them. They get in a fight. Many rounds of combat ensue. When the battle ends, the proud British navy is a chain of blazing wrecks and the Germans have hardly been damaged. Reload the save and try again, with slightly different parameters but always the same outcome. Once, I played a surprise card at the start of the battle. Another time, I played encircle. One time, I had a "crossing the t" tactical choice versus the German "column" and the display said I had a tactical advantage. One time, I caught the German battlecruisers with my whole fleet and even then was unable to sink them. I even tried to let the AI control my battle on the assumption that I was doing something wrong in terms of deploying my guys on the battle display, but I couldn't see anything the AI did differently from what I was doing and the outcome was distressingly similar.

What's going on?
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Are you playing Stock? If so, this appears to be working as designed.

-C

jcrohio
Lieutenant

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:39 pm

See the second sticky in the WWIG mods forum

TheDoctorKing

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:39 am

Thanks, that's very interesting. When I manage to get the game loaded on my new system I will install your mod. I had also noticed the unusual and surprising behavior of German colonial corps. I found myself fighting one in the trenches on the western front. They have a hell of a defense strength...
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Random
AGEod Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:15 am

TheDoctorKing wrote:Thanks, that's very interesting. When I manage to get the game loaded on my new system I will install your mod. I had also noticed the unusual and surprising behavior of German colonial corps. I found myself fighting one in the trenches on the western front. They have a hell of a defense strength...

The German colonial garrisons make more sense if they are prevented from being used in offensive roles and this is why my naval mod locks them in place until July 1916. If they are destroyed it is possible that the AI will rebuild them and they will appear in Europe but the frequency of this happening seems to be much reduced using the mod.

As for their strength, they will require some effort for the Entente to root them out of the German colonies so although greatly exaggerated, these super-units actually force an allied Player to send historically reasonable forces to Africa in my opinion.

For an easier modding installer, see this thread.:

Naval Mod and JSGME

-C

TheDoctorKing

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:08 pm

Is this patch still good with 1.08Q?
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:03 pm

TheDoctorKing wrote:Is this patch still good with 1.08Q?

I think you mean "mod" versus "patch", and yes the mod is still good for 1.08Q.

TheDoctorKing

Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:35 pm

Installed with the mod (thanks for the language lesson, Red) and just had a naval battle that went about as expected. Three or four rounds between a British B and a BC versus a couple of German ACs in the Atlantic. Both ACs damaged and damage on the B. Only thing was that the battle never went to long range. Presumably the B was too slow to outrun the German cruisers, otherwise we would have pulverized them with no loss to ourselves.

Thanks to Random.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:04 pm

@ TheDoctorKing

You are very welcome, I am glad that the mod seems to work as intended and thank you for the feedback.

-C

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”