Shri

Great Game, a few queries?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:25 am

Hi all,
I am a big history buff (part- time) and WW1 and around is a favorite period even more than WW2 because of its huge impact on us even today!.
Well, i was once surfing and found the reviews of this great game, downloaded the demo not expecting much but was really captivated in the way the game goes into details...
One thing i really like is- the importance given to terrain!.
Hills, valleys, mountains, forests etc are all well showcased..

A few queries-
1. At times on the map there is a river flowing but no penalty occurs at other times it randomly occurs; some rare occasions maybe- most times it correctly occurs.
2. Boreovic v.Bojna is given 1 offensive but no defensive stars, why? he faced the Italians in countless battles on the Isonzo and fought defensive victories. Also Germany has only 1 Guard Korps, in war it raised 5 Guard Divisions, 1 Guard Res, 1 Guard ersatz and 1 Guard Kavellerie whereas Russia has several Guard Divisions (Elites). [Maybe these are game play based, not sure]
3. Can i lock those colonial units esp. German? AI conquering South Africa is a Joke!
4. How can i research Phosgene gas? no icon.
5. One thing i noticed in-game, morale/national will drops very soon for Austria and Russia and mutinies occur in 1915; in reality it never occurred till 1917 and even in 1918 most regiments of the K.u.K remained Kaiser-Tru. Also it should only occur on foreign nationalities not home (German/Russian/Turk).
6. What is the right balance of aggression/difficulty setting for ai? even at high difficulty and aggression it keeps sending single damaged infantry to attack and stops some of my offensives but most times loses units.
7. Arabia was part of Ottoman empire, why is it unowned?
8. Shouldn't the Russians have more Korps esp. Cavalry but also that Russian Corps be predominantly mobilised and reservist.
9. Saxon Troops are much more than real, are Wurtemberg,Baden and other smaller ones inc. in Saxon?

calvinus

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:00 pm

Hello, I answer you for what I can. Perhaps Philippe will integrate my post.

Shri wrote:1. At times on the map there is a river flowing but no penalty occurs at other times it randomly occurs; some rare occasions maybe- most times it correctly occurs.

Yes, it's a WAD. The penalty for Large Rivers is applied randomly. I remember it's 50% of cases, not sure though, sorry. In simple words, crossing such Large Rivers is risky...

Shri wrote:3. Can i lock those colonial units esp. German? AI conquering South Africa is a Joke!

Sure, they can be locked. This forum has some expert Modders who will help you! ;)

Shri wrote:4. How can i research Phosgene gas? no icon.

Scroll the Tech Tree to the right, it's the third step of Gas Research. ;)

Shri wrote:5. One thing i noticed in-game, morale/national will drops very soon for Austria and Russia and mutinies occur in 1915; in reality it never occurred till 1917 and even in 1918 most regiments of the K.u.K remained Kaiser-Tru. Also it should only occur on foreign nationalities not home (German/Russian/Turk).

Old discussion indeed. I remember somebody suggested to add some conditions to these Events, such as not before year X...
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

Shri

Tks

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:03 pm

calvinus wrote:Hello, I answer you for what I can. Perhaps Philippe will integrate my post.

Yes, it's a WAD. The penalty for Large Rivers is applied randomly. I remember it's 50% of cases, not sure though, sorry. In simple words, crossing such Large Rivers is risky...

Ok, so it is a coin-toss, esp. since a lot of important objectives are guarded by rivers or by bad terrain!

Sure, they can be locked. This forum has some expert Modders who will help you! ;)

Will do

Scroll the Tech Tree to the right, it's the third step of Gas Research. ;)

Oh ok.. Duffer. Tks.

Old discussion indeed. I remember somebody suggested to add some conditions to these Events, such as not before year X...

Pl let me know if such an event was written, thanks for the prompt reply.

calvinus

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:21 pm

Shri wrote:Pl let me know if such an event was written, thanks for the prompt reply.

I will ask Philippe if he agrees to add the entry year condition to such events (strikes, mutinies, etc.). Not done yet... that's why you see these occurrences in 1915.

PhilThib

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:02 pm

Adding the entry year condition is fine for me indeed. ;)

Now, more specifically on your questions

2. Boreovic v.Bojna is given 1 offensive but no defensive stars, why? he faced the Italians in countless battles on the Isonzo and fought defensive victories. Also Germany has only 1 Guard Korps, in war it raised 5 Guard Divisions, 1 Guard Res, 1 Guard ersatz and 1 Guard Kavellerie whereas Russia has several Guard Divisions (Elites). [Maybe these are game play based, not sure]
* We reproduced the boardgame values, which have been tested for months...if we change one leader, we need to revise all
* Korps: same answer, game balance issue

* Nominally you are right, Arabia was in 'theory' part of the OE. Nevertheless it was in turmoil and semi-revolt for years, and apart from Hidjaz, the Turks were absent. In terms of gameplay, it was easier to make it independent

8. Shouldn't the Russians have more Korps esp. Cavalry but also that Russian Corps be predominantly mobilised and reservist.
* Russians have de facto more corps, because when they rebuild their weak infantry reservist corps, they are back on map almost instantly. A boardgame rule that worked well and still works

9. Saxon Troops are much more than real, are Wurtemberg,Baden and other smaller ones inc. in Saxon?
* Yes, all minors except Bavaria were dressed 'Saxon' :D

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:08 pm

To lock the German colonial garrisons, open file [color="#008000"]*:\World War One Gold\Data\DB\WarPlanTurnRules.csv[/color] and save the original somewhere safe.

Scroll down to the bottom of the file and insert the following lines:

[color="#008000"]894;GER_WP_Schlieffen;TR_Immobilized;1;100;TP_Milit ary;GER;GER_50_a,GER_50_b,GER_50_c,GER_50_d,GER_Ga r-QinTao
895;GER_WP_Moltke;TR_Immobilized;1;100;TP_Military; GER;GER_50_a,GER_50_b,GER_50_c,GER_50_d,GER_Gar-QinTao
896;GER_WP_Kronprinz;TR_Immobilized;1;100;TP_Milita ry;GER;GER_50_a,GER_50_b,GER_50_c,GER_50_d,GER_Gar-QinTao
897;GER_WP_Hindenburg;TR_Immobilized;1;100;TP_Milit ary;GER;GER_50_a,GER_50_b,GER_50_c,GER_50_d,GER_Ga r-QinTao
898;GER_WP_Rupprecht;TR_Immobilized;1;100;TP_Milita ry;GER;GER_50_a,GER_50_b,GER_50_c,GER_50_d,GER_Gar-QinTao[/color]

Save and close. This solution is not save compatible. Note that this will lock them for the entire game.

If you wish to allow them to move at some point edit the number shown in [color="#FF0000"]RED[/color] as this is the last turn that the Turn Rule applies.

897;GER_WP_Hindenburg;TR_Immobilized;1;[color="#FF0000"]100[/color];TP_Milit ary;GER;GER_50_a,GER_50_b,GER_50_c,GER_50_d,GER_Ga r-QinTao

In my Grand Campaign Naval Mod I have them locked until Turn 18, July 1916.

Good Luck

-C

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:09 pm

Hidjaz was not also very stable that theoretically only some tribes were the real allies. It was the symbol of Arab nationalist movement with Palestinian flag against Ottomans.
Russian actually have enough troops to overwhelm Austrians in 1915.

Calvinus, if you have enough time could you please look at this post. It seems game breaking. I have tried both 3,4 aggressive setting with full AI time.
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27645-AI-witdraw-when-has-a-victory-in-one-flank&p=261065#post261065

calvinus

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Baris wrote:Hidjaz was not also very stable that theoretically only some tribes were the real allies. It was the symbol of Arab nationalist movement with Palestinian flag against Ottomans.
Russian actually have enough troops to overwhelm Austrians in 1915.

Calvinus, if you have enough time could you please look at this post. It seems game breaking. I have tried both 3,4 aggressive setting with full AI time.
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27645-AI-witdraw-when-has-a-victory-in-one-flank&p=261065#post261065

Scheduled in my issue list. ;)

Now 100% committed on FPS performace improvements... :coeurs:

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Baris wrote:

To be honest I have seen this AI behaviour only quite rarely, certainly not enough to consider it game-breaking and yet other players are apparently experiencing it with some frequency. I wonder if something has been introduced in any of the recent updates to v1.08Q?

-C

calvinus

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:16 am

Random wrote:Baris wrote:

To be honest I have seen this AI behaviour only quite rarely, certainly not enough to consider it game-breaking and yet other players are apparently experiencing it with some frequency. I wonder if something has been introduced in any of the recent updates to v1.08Q?

-C

I remind no such AI change in 1.08Q.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:32 am

Calvinus thanks. Yes even slight a bit fps improvement very very welcome.

Random: Yes I didn't remember it was this problem before. It is easy to reproduce. AI is forced to retreat when player doesn't use second line in big battle. And when rarely she doesn't retreat she does not use second line flank even she has much troops. The first part; about forced retreat can be related to AI or a problem in combat mechanic. As it disregards commander obstination value.

Shri

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:45 am

PhilThib wrote:Adding the entry year condition is fine for me indeed. ;)

Now, more specifically on your questions

* We reproduced the boardgame values, which have been tested for months...if we change one leader, we need to revise all
* Korps: same answer, game balance issue

* Nominally you are right, Arabia was in 'theory' part of the OE. Nevertheless it was in turmoil and semi-revolt for years, and apart from Hidjaz, the Turks were absent. In terms of gameplay, it was easier to make it independent

* Russians have de facto more corps, because when they rebuild their weak infantry reservist corps, they are back on map almost instantly. A boardgame rule that worked well and still works

* Yes, all minors except Bavaria were dressed 'Saxon' :D

Well, Thanks Calvinus and Phillippe for the prompt responses.
Baris has made a point, which i too feel at times;
there is a loophole when fighting large battles esp. with weaker troops (esp. Austria, Russia and Turkey); you withdraw all troops to left flank and lose the right flank battle but still end up winning the localized action.
"Lost the battle but won the war"; maybe this can be rectified.

Also - a few times HQ reserves never come up in offensives (trench time);
in defensive, most of the times HQ reserves do not come up.
So; is it better to retain reserves in the armies itself?

BTW- shouldn't mutiny event apply to "France" too, esp. 1916-1917 onwards?

One more query, already raised by some people in the forum- AI plays cards which help the enemy! (as France it once played Bruchmuller to help me as Germany; and once Germany played Polivanof card to help me as Russia).

i have one another query, a little off topic- RP is supposed to represent "manpower" in game terms right?
If so, why is it lost when it is over the limit? i mean a "man" does not die automatically!.
Can't this be recoded to have only so much at a time with rest in reserves pool, which you can draw from in times of "Grand Offensives?"

calvinus

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:21 am

Shri wrote:Well, Thanks Calvinus and Phillippe for the prompt responses.
Baris has made a point, which i too feel at times;
there is a loophole when fighting large battles esp. with weaker troops (esp. Austria, Russia and Turkey); you withdraw all troops to left flank and lose the right flank battle but still end up winning the localized action.
"Lost the battle but won the war"; maybe this can be rectified.

If you are the attacker, you must win both sides. If you are the defender, you loose if both sides are lost.
For this point there's already a AI issue reported by Baris (AI retreating too soon after having won one side), scheduled for improvement.

Shri wrote:Also - a few times HQ reserves never come up in offensives (trench time);
in defensive, most of the times HQ reserves do not come up.
So; is it better to retain reserves in the armies itself?

You mean GHQ, not HQs. Yes, there's a rule for that. GHQ reserves are available only if the GHQ is enough close to the battle area. In the East Front, it's harshers... I do not recall how the rule works exactly, maybe Philippe remembers that...

NY Rangers
Major

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 am

Shri wrote:One more query, already raised by some people in the forum- AI plays cards which help the enemy! (as France it once played Bruchmuller to help me as Germany; and once Germany played Polivanof card to help me as Russia).

True that. As a layman one would think it wouldn't be hard to fix.

PhilThib

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 am

Shri wrote:BTW- shouldn't mutiny event apply to "France" too, esp. 1916-1917 onwards?

One more query, already raised by some people in the forum- AI plays cards which help the enemy! (as France it once played Bruchmuller to help me as Germany; and once Germany played Polivanof card to help me as Russia).

i have one another query, a little off topic- RP is supposed to represent "manpower" in game terms right?
If so, why is it lost when it is over the limit? i mean a "man" does not die automatically!.
Can't this be recoded to have only so much at a time with rest in reserves pool, which you can draw from in times of "Grand Offensives?"

Yes to both counts. We shall include this in next fix

calvinus

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:21 pm

PhilThib wrote:Yes to both counts. We shall include this in next fix

Philippe... I think Shri does refer to the RP Capacity limits (see DB RecruitPointsCapacity.xls/csv)...
Are you suuure we should remove this rule?... :confused:

PhilThib

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 pm

No, I don't . I was mistaken with Rail point (RP acronym I used in another game) :neener:

calvinus

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:44 pm

PhilThib wrote:No, I don't . I was mistaken with Rail point (RP acronym I used in another game) :neener:

So I guess it's better we keep the Rectruit Points max Capacity rule, for game balancing reasons... :neener:

Shri wrote:One more query, already raised by some people in the forum- AI plays cards which help the enemy! (as France it once played Bruchmuller to help me as Germany; and once Germany played Polivanof card to help me as Russia).

I just added a new AI tweaking for this point. You'll find this improvement in the next update of 1.08Q.

calvinus

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:56 pm

Shri wrote:BTW- shouldn't mutiny event apply to "France" too, esp. 1916-1917 onwards?

I added a new Mutitines event that can affect France or Italy. :)

Shri

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 am

calvinus wrote:I added a new Mutitines event that can affect France or Italy. :)

Thanks. Well, i am surprised this great game has not caught the attention of more fans.
Armchair General and several other strategy guides have rated it high, rightly so.

Well; i am going to continue to pester you- one more query;
Is "Army Group" formation on your horizon?
the Imp. German Army employed this in-between command, between Army and Front to great effect in both the wars,

NY Rangers
Major

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:58 am

Shri wrote:Well; i am going to continue to pester you- one more query;
Is "Army Group" formation on your horizon?
the Imp. German Army employed this in-between command, between Army and Front to great effect in both the wars,

From gaming point of view, are they needed?

Shri

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:41 am

Well,
Since there is so much problem of the GHQ reserves esp. in the Eastern Front; for the C.P. who have a long eastern front esp. Konigsberg to Armenia!, some extra reserves will help hold the line.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:34 pm

There's no reason why you cannot add additional Grand Headquarters in the Detachments.csv file of whatever scenario you wish to act as your Army Group HQ's. You can set the parameters to whatever you wish and they should function like Grand Headquarters.

I for one see no requirements for Army Group HQ's within the scope of WW1G and suspect that including them might create more problems than they solve. Fact is the the German part of the East Front has Ober Ost to function as GHQ and both the Austrian and Russian fronts tended to be less static when pushed so here the game mirrors history. You can also tweak the GameRules.csv file to change the way GHQ's manage battle reinforcements on selected fronts.

If a Player thinks these thing need changing there are tools provided in the game to do so.

Gferreq
Corporal

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:49 pm

Great game! Im already a fan of the AGE engine but now learning This too!WOW!
And what about moré games of the WWI???

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”