Alex
Private

Help for new player

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:57 pm

I bought the game before some time, but only now have time to learn it. Apparently, it is one of best strategy games ever.
But, as a new player, I have some questions. I started my first campaing as Austria in GC-4players, and in the first year lost my entire 4-th army. I recovered, but the question is: - is there any way to build the bring back the HQ on the map? In the build window I can see the HQ, but the option to build one is never active. So, what can I do and can I do something?
Thank you

calvinus

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:27 pm

What does the tooltip says when you move the mouse cursor over the Build HQ button?
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:28 pm

If your HQ was isolated when it was destroyed, I'm pretty sure there is no way to rebuild it, I do not recall ever having the option to do so when I have lost entire HQ's in the past.

The Build Window contains all units whether you can actually build them or not but if the build button is not active you're out of luck. Units dedicated to the now non-existent IV Army HQ (those having IV in the yellow Army Assignment box in the top right corner of the counter) are probably best used in defence.

Austria in the 4-Player Campaign is a challenge; Good Luck.

calvinus

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Random wrote:If your HQ was isolated when it was destroyed, I'm pretty sure there is no way to rebuild it, I do not recall ever having the option to do so when I have lost entire HQ's in the past.

The Build Window contains all units whether you can actually build them or not but if the build button is not active you're out of luck. Units dedicated to the now non-existent IV Army HQ (those having IV in the yellow Army Assignment box in the top right corner of the counter) are probably best used in defence.

Austria in the 4-Player Campaign is a challenge; Good Luck.

Random knows [and remembers everything of] WW1 better than me! It's like a congratulation for me! :love:

I quote for Austrian challenge........ :neener:

Alex
Private

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:12 pm

1)Thank you, At least I can be sure that there is no way to rebuild my lost HQ.
2) Austrian side was hard, but I managed to bring Italy to my side. I'm holding the line with entire Italy army from Marceille to Albertville (1917). Russian South Front (From my former border to Romanian border) just collapsed, so in theory I have a free shot on Kiev ( but only in theory)- theyy will bring more troops in Interphase). And- The best part - GB singed separate peace and I managed to keep US neutral. French are alone now... HA-HA-HA! But the truth is it was a lot of good luck for newcomer... things could be VERY different. I can't belive I didn't discovere this game sooner!

calvinus

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:43 pm

I believe the big difference was played in your game by Italy.... same "problem" in the boardgame version of WW1. :(

Alex
Private

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:33 pm

IMHO it is a greate advantage of the game: even as "minor major" (so to speak) power you have a different ways to success (ot otherwise: I tried France and get my ... err... parts ... served to me in 1915 - failed to stop Germany at Luxemburg border (Belgium stayed neutral), because of my preparation to fight a trench war). To win a war at 1917 thanks to diplomacy at 1914... or to lose it because a wrong strategic bet... A greate game!

Shri

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Well, having played the week for a couple of weeks i have to say a few things must be kept in mind when playing-
1. If T.E. never ever attack Germany with Russian troops- Disaster... only defend and crush Turkey with the English and then attack Austria.
2. If C.P. use all your dip-lo on Italy to maintain them neutral at all costs, there is an event which gives you supplies(Economic points) that is better than actual Italian ally! and crush Serbia ASAP.
3. in one of my games- i sent the 2 K.u.K armies to France to defend trenches and sent the superior German troops to crush the Serbs and Rumanians.. needless to say- those Serbs and Rumanians ran for their dear lives as in the real world. the v.Mackensen offensive overran 2 countries within a year.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”