Cordell
Sergeant

few Gameplay question

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:36 am

Since the manuel is not always so clear and very large... (i know rechearch is my friend :) )

1/How using the torpedoing at see for the tactical submarine (p143 germany special rules), is it automatic?

2/I did not find how to give ammunition to my allies

3/During the events that impose garrison in case of nationalist or agitation or colonial revolts, may isent other nationalities that the nation (for exemple Italian corps in Algeria if both allied)?cavalerie corps? Corps on the weak face? Should thos corp be independant or those who are in an HQ count? If yes what about the reserve?

4/If i manage to sent the Hochsee fleet in an occupied port (pure speculation) or an allied port, the check rules continue to run or not?

5/ During a battle in defense on a fortress region i was using artilley in support sometime at the begging, is it cumulative with the 3 round free shot from the forteresse or just a waste of ammunition? In the case of major battle the fortresse support both flanks or just one of them?

That's all for now... :)

calvinus

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:44 am

Cordell wrote:1/How using the torpedoing at see for the tactical submarine (p143 germany special rules), is it automatic?

Automatic checks.

Cordell wrote:2/I did not find how to give ammunition to my allies

Not implemented in the PC game, only in the original boardgame.

Cordell wrote:3/During the events that impose garrison in case of nationalist or agitation or colonial revolts, may isent other nationalities that the nation (for exemple Italian corps in Algeria if both allied)?cavalerie corps? Corps on the weak face? Should thos corp be independant or those who are in an HQ count? If yes what about the reserve?

Any corps (also those in reserve for HQs) of that nation only, not allies.

Cordell wrote:4/If i manage to sent the Hochsee fleet in an occupied port (pure speculation) or an allied port, the check rules continue to run or not?

What do you mean for "check rules continue" ? :blink:

Cordell wrote:5/ During a battle in defense on a fortress region i was using artilley in support sometime at the begging, is it cumulative with the 3 round free shot from the forteresse or just a waste of ammunition? In the case of major battle the fortresse support both flanks or just one of them?

Misunderstanding. The fortress gives a free ammo in the first three rounds of combat, so the artillery fires "free" for the first three rounds, then it spends ammos.

Cordell
Sergeant

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks for your answers Calvinus :)
Precisions
1/ So no needs to send them at see right (for torpedoing purpose)

4/ Lets imagine that i sent the Hochsee fleet in Trieste(before english war entry)
Is the a test to allows my fleet going out of Triest since its not a German port?

5/Ok, i did not payed attention enough sorry about that! So i need any case an artillery right? (and if the artillery arrive after the 3rd turn is it still free either?)

calvinus

Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Cordell wrote:1/ So no needs to send them at see right (for torpedoing purpose)

Not exactly. There's an automatic test during Interphase to check damages on british convoys, at least so I recall...
In addition, these units may be added also in battle for torpeoing. They also give reconnaissance bonus (still in battle).

Cordell wrote:4/ Lets imagine that i sent the Hochsee fleet in Trieste(before english war entry)
Is the a test to allows my fleet going out of Triest since its not a German port?

Though to say. I think the check is done also in this case.

Cordell wrote:5/Ok, i did not payed attention enough sorry about that! So i need any case an artillery right? (and if the artillery arrive after the 3rd turn is it still free either?)

Yes, the fortress provides ammo and you need anyway of the artilleries.

Whitman
Private

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:13 am

I just got this and I am studying the manual etc..,

I thought a Fortress had intrinsic arty that fires for three turns? I am now thinking this is incorrect.

Are you saying that it means that you have to have Arty in your Combat units that are defending the Fortress and they get free ammo for the first three rounds?

Thanks

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:41 am

From my experience, the manual is correct.

My understanding is that units in a fortress get the three-turns free artillery support from the fortress. You can see this in Belgrade, where Serbian defenders get the artillery benefits even though Serbia has no ammunition.

Whitman
Private

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:24 am

Hi Random,
Could you help me with my question about whether or not you need to have Arty in a fortress?

Or is that if you Arty and you are in a Fortress region, you get 3 free shots?

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:10 am

Since only one artillery unit can function in support, having artillery units defending in a fortress should be superfluous in most battle situations, the integral guns of the fortress should suffice. Even if the fortress is reduced you will get the three rounds of artillery support without spending any munitions.

This may or may not be the case in very large battles where both sides of the battle screen are used. To be honest I am not sure if extra artillery units would help since my understanding is that the fortress guns support all defensive combat in their area.

I currently have the Germans trying to punch through the Russian border fortress line, will watch the modifiers and see if I can tell one way or the other.

Hopefully Calvinus will stop by with the definitive answer.

calvinus

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:33 am

Whitman wrote:Hi Random,
Could you help me with my question about whether or not you need to have Arty in a fortress?

Or is that if you Arty and you are in a Fortress region, you get 3 free shots?

I have double-checked the source code of the game, we have two cases:

1) a land combat takes in a region where you own a fortress (so you are the defender) and you do not have any artillery in the area => The fortress fires as an artillery, for free (no ammunition expenditure) for the first three rounds.

2) a land combat takes in a region where you own a fortress (so you are the defender) and you have (at least one) artillery in the area => When committed, the artillery fires (expending ammunitions). When no artillery is committed, the fortress fires as an artillery for free (no ammunition expenditure) for the first three rounds.

Whitman
Private

Wonderful

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Calvinus and Random,

WOW. I did not know that is how that worked. So if you are the Defender and you have access to Arty, you should not commit it until AFTER the first 3 rounds?

Thank you again for your time.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”