Halus
Conscript

The Face of Diplomacy

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:54 am

Wow, diplomacy can really have a big impact in this game. For the start of the campaign game, both AI markers were set just to the right of center (as was suggested in these forums as providing the best position for historical accuracy). I controlled Austria-Hungary while the AI played Germany. I can't remember where exactly I sent all my ambassadors for every turn, but at the start I kept sending zero level ones to Britain.
The game ended in early 1918 with the CP as the victors and Britain, along with the USA, never entered the war. Revolution took out Russia Mar-Apr 1916 with only Romania remaining in the east. I spent a few turns to better position my troops to pounce on her cities. Since all my forces were on this side of the map, decided to take care of Greece so tried to goad them into a war via diplomats. Instead they joined my side and Romania capitulated after taking her cities.
Now the long haul westwards, with eyes on Italy. Again, using diplomats, tried to get her to declare war on me. By Jan-Feb 1917, had enough troops to start an Italian campaign, but to my chagrin, no shots were fired and Italy joined the CP. The rest of the game was spent moving troops again to attack France through Italy.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:00 am

I had always played the Entente but am just putting the finishing touches on my first Central Powers campaign and your observations are spot on.

Initially I went with the Diplomatic Poker option and brought Italy and Turkey into the war in August 1914 even though the advance through Belgium stalled on the Meuse until 1915. By summer of 1915 diplomacy had Bulgaria join the CP offsetting the declaration of war by Romania. During Winter of 1916-17 knocked France out of the war, the Italians had closed on Lyon and the Germans took Paris in the January-February turn. Now in the spring of 1917, Russia, Brazil and Britain are alone against Germany, Austria-Hungry, Bulgaria, Italy, Persia, Turkey and Greece. The Romanian's quit in the summer of 1916 and Serbia was finally overrun in the fall.

Meanwhile diplomats have kept America out despite unrestricted submarine warfare.

The CP diplomatic corps sure earned their pay in this game!

Good Luck advancing through the South of France but look out for French amphibious landings near Genoa; they can really upset your offensive timetable.

Halus
Conscript

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:09 pm

I managed to capture only 10 French provinces in the south before they threw in the towel (nation will at -7), so no amphibious landings from them. Earlier in the game Russia did land a wack of troops in northern Germany and took Danzig. Looking at France looks like Germany had also done a landing in Brittany peninsula area. Oh and I forgot to mention that both Turkey and Bulgaria Joined the CP when Romania declared war.

Averkinen
Sergeant

Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:53 pm

Hmm, in this game, as well as the reality of diplomacy solves if not all of it very, very much. I think that because only entry into the war small powers, I was able to successfully fight in this game. When I played for the Central Powers, Italy joined me first, so I gave her Austrian Trentino. Italy is the most successful ally for Central Powers, after Turkey of course, because with it can capture the whole French North Africa, and also if Italy will attack to the South of France, it will draw a large number of French forces in the south, which will give more opportunities for success for Germany in Lorraine and in northern France. If Italy and Turkey are already at war, then my next goal is to Romania, as for it will fight the Entente, and if Romania is still attached to the central unit, it will again delay the large number of already Russian forces, moreover, it provides more opportunities for the actions of the Turkish fleet in the Black Sea, because of its ports are closer to the Russian coast than Turkish. It is true I do not understand why romania in the game not has its own fleet, as during the real war, her was fleet (same with Bulgaria). :bonk: Also during the war, I'm trying to bring Bulgaria and Persia on own side (the latter is quite easy to draw). And also Greece, but very rarely, because its army is not interesting to me. The last thing I draw over Mexico and China, as they have a special political action, and of the last side is those countries that can only help economically. :thumbsup:
Sorry for my bad English. ;)

ZardozLord
Corporal

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi guys, I was just wondering, what turn mode do you play the game on, the WEGO or the army by army mode?

And what mode would you say is best for the game?

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:32 pm

WEGO for me. Principle reason is that I had had issues attaching units and moving units under national command in the Army by Army mode. Also given the scale of units and time in WW1G, I am not convinced that the restrictions are really representative of the coordination problems that existed at the time.

As for what's best, that is entirely up to you; both modes have their champions. Some have stated that the AI is better in the Army by Army mode but I never noticed it on the occasions where I tried it.

ZardozLord
Corporal

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have decided to go with WEGO, looking forward to getting into a PBEM game when the patch is released :)

Ayeshteni
Captain

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:45 pm

Hehe, after reading the title of the thread I thought this would be about the fact that both the Central Powers and the Entente use the same graphics for thir diplomats and is was about maybe changing (even just flipping the image) to something else to cause less confusion.

I was going to agree. :D

But yes, the diplomatic phase is very important in this game, which is good.

Ayeshteni
"You, O English, who have no right to this Kingdom of France, the King of Heaven orders and commands you through me, Joan the Maid, to leave your fortress and return to your country, and if you do not, so I shall make an uproar that will be perpetually remembered! Behold that I write to you for the third and final time: I shall write to you no further." - Jehanne d'Arc, Orleans 1428

Averkinen
Sergeant

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Ayeshteni wrote:Hehe, after reading the title of the thread I thought this would be about the fact that both the Central Powers and the Entente use the same graphics for thir diplomats and is was about maybe changing (even just flipping the image) to something else to cause less confusion.

I was going to agree. :D

But yes, the diplomatic phase is very important in this game, which is good.

Ayeshteni

Hmm, it would certainly be nice if every country in the game was the real diplomats, as I understand it, I would have agreed also. :D But it is still fairly time-consuming and not yet very necessary thing, as and random diplomats do not look bad, also could receive some the bugs and errors in the game due to this novelty. ;)
Sorry for my bad English. ;)

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”