ulver1
Sergeant

Odd Japanese behavior when she joins the Central Powers.

Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 am

Instead of going to Siberia the Japanese army teleported to the German possessions in the pacific New Guinea. Shouldn’t it have teleported to the Russian Far East?

calvinus

Mon May 24, 2010 12:21 pm

First of all my best compliments for having got Japaneses with CPs! :thumbsup:
It's the first time...

Then, I do not recall there's no scripted teleporting procedure.

Instead, if you're playing on the side of the Entente and Japan is AI driven, I think the Japanese AI chose New Guinea as attack priority...

ulver1
Sergeant

Mon May 24, 2010 12:33 pm

Thought I’d wanted to press on with a second Russo-Japanese war.

calvinus wrote:First of all my best compliments for having got Japaneses with CPs! :thumbsup:
It's the first time...

Then, I do not recall there's no scripted teleporting procedure.

Instead, if you're playing on the side of the Entente and Japan is AI driven, I think the Japanese AI chose New Guinea as attack priority...

That is rather my point. I’m playing the CP, Japan is one my side and she is executing the attack script against the German positions. The Japanese army (under my control) is in the Bismarck Inslee map box when it should be in the Siberian box. I suppose the simple solution is to simply give Japan some sea transport capacity? I’ll see if I can move the Japanese army to Siberia manually in the military phase.

calvinus

Mon May 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Weird!

I checked game DiplomaticEvents.xls DB:

Japan enters the war on the of CPs when it reaches diplomatic level 24 or higher.

In such a case, the Japanese army (JAP_A01) should be redeployed in Siberia East Box, as scripted:

JAP DO_WarDeclaration PS_CentralPowers PE_DeployTroops 1 0 SIBERIA_EAST_BOX,JAP_A01

Otherwise, if Japan enters the war on the side of Entente (diplomatic level -5 or less), the Japanese fleet (JAP_F01) is redeployed in Pacific ocean, as scripted:

JAP DO_WarDeclaration PS_Allies PE_DeployTroops 1 0 GRAND_PACIFIC,JAP_F01

Now, are you sure Japan is fighting on your side??? :blink:

ulver1
Sergeant

Mon May 24, 2010 2:00 pm

I’m pretty sure. Check the saved game from the other thread. Oddly enough in the following turn the Japanese army was back in Japan. Unable to move it to Siberia but the error I get is that it is due to bad weather – fair enough in Jan/Feb. I’ll report back if it works in the summer.

calvinus

Mon May 24, 2010 2:25 pm

The saved game is "too late". I would need indeed of the game saved immediately before the Japanese intervention, so that I could debug the weird behaviour in detail. I will try anyway to reproduce the thing, no problem.

calvinus

Mon May 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks to your save I found a very rare AI freeze (http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=178493&postcount=4) that apparently never happened before. Now fixed. Thanks, Calvinus.

calvinus

Mon May 24, 2010 6:23 pm

Ok I understand what happened in Siberia. :thumbsup:

The Japanese army was first redeployed there.
Then the Military phase begins and the game engine found the Japanese army was located in an area currently not controlled, and occupied by two enemy stacks. So the Japanese army was forced to retreat (by sea) towards the nearest supply source: Bismarck islands.

The only mistake is that no message is provided, so I added a new notification for that! :love:

PhilThib

Mon May 24, 2010 6:58 pm

Well, may be the army should try to attack and conquer instead ? ;)

calvinus

Mon May 24, 2010 7:01 pm

PhilThib wrote:Well, may be the army should try to attack and conquer instead ? ;)

A bit too complex for the scripts... Perhaps it's better we leave this task to the AI, who will find the best target for invasion. ;)

Fastsnake
Major

Mon May 24, 2010 8:10 pm

But are you sure it will do that (i.e. attack Siberia) indeed?

calvinus

Mon May 24, 2010 8:27 pm

No idea of what the AI will do... :D

calvinus

Mon May 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Consider also that in that savegame, the Japanese army retreat because Russian stacks were located in Siberia.

Also, why attack Siberia by force? :blink:

Fastsnake
Major

Mon May 24, 2010 8:44 pm

What other useful thing can the japanese army can do otherwise? :blink:

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon May 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Fastsnake wrote:What other useful thing can the japanese army can do otherwise? :blink:

Go for ABDA possessions in Asia, as in WWII? The French had Indochina; The British Singapore, Oz and Hong-Kong; the Dutch the East Indies. Targets weren't lacking, and as in WWII the Japanese still badly needed the coal, fuel, and food.

That's a good question for alternate historians, though: Were Japan simply in position to be helpful for the Central Powers, aside from tieing much needed units from their colonies in Asia?

Japan joining the CP would be the War in the Pacific, without the US spoiling the fun... for a while. However, as Japan I'd see grabbing Port Arthur and Vladivostock as a primary objectives, just like in 1905, this time with the aim of keeping it (and Manchuria) for good, and prevent the use of these ports as leverage against Japan.

Remember, the Japanese got mauled at Port Arthur in 1904-1905, but the Russians fared even worse and they lost. So the Japanese knew very well the state of Russian troops in Siberia : massive army, yes, but badly led, slow, and with huge logistical issues.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”