Chertio
Lieutenant

National Will question

Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:53 pm

I was surprised as Germany after inflicting major defeats on Russia and France in one turn, that all Entente powers lost 3 NW points for each defeat, a total of 6 for the turn. Both Germany and Austria gained 6 points.

Would a major defeat for Russia really effect France and Britain that badly, and vice versa? Verdun may nearly have broken the French army, but had nothing like the effect in Britain of tens of thousands of names filling the newspapers after the Somme, for instance.

Would -3 for the country or countries whose troops were involved, -1 for allies whose troops were not involved (and the other way round for the victors) be more realistic?

calvinus

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:00 pm

This is a point that comes from the original boardgame rules, but I agree with you... the impact is terrible, mainly considering it affects nations not directly involved... I will check if this is a misunderstanding of boardgame design and if something is to be changed... during xmas vacations! ;)

Tamas

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:11 pm

I would rather keep this feature, for both historical and gameplay reasons.

vonRocko
Colonel

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:39 pm

Tamas wrote:I would rather keep this feature, for both historical and gameplay reasons.

I agree with Tamas. There might be balance issues if you change.

calvinus

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:42 pm

Ok, a new diatriba has started! :D

vonRocko
Colonel

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:23 pm

Just looking from a German point of view. Germany is struggling to bring down 3 and sometimes 4 major powers (France,England,Russia,Italy). The Entente has Germany,and to a lesser degree AH.
If we change the rule, Germany would need a major victory against all four (4 seperate battles) to get the same result. Whereas the entente can hammer Germany with a loss from each and every country.Germany needs 4 victories,to the other countries single victory. I feel this could be unbalancing.

Syt
Colonel

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:37 pm

Chertio wrote:Would a major defeat for Russia really effect France and Britain that badly, and vice versa?

It would and did. It was no coincidence that the Entente saw their biggest post-1914 crisis (mutinies, setbacks) between 1917 and summer 1918 when Russia was knocked out for good and the Americans were not yet showing up in force on the continent (despite providing valuable naval and economic aid).

Conversely, the Brusilov offensive boosted Entente morale.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The brutality and inhumanity of war stood in great contrast to what I had heard and read about as a youth.
- Reinhold Spengler, war volunteer 1st Bavarian Infanterie Regmnt., 1916

Sheytan
Lieutenant

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Frankly I dont think anyone has played the game through with the latest patch? So id suggest doing so, a campaign game, and see how this pans out. As it is im personally delighted to see so much working in the game now, including this feature, which once again id suggest reserving judgement on until you run a full game.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”