jmjjmj
Conscript

Moving units is too erratic

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:47 pm

I love ageod. I love ACW, even though I cant play it on my new vista computer :(

And I love WWI and the complexity this game promises. But I am wasting tooo much time trying to move units.

The first click on a unit doesnt always work to put it in position to move. Most of the time, the click and drag doesnt work because i didnt click on exactly the perfect spot, and so I am dragging nothing. If I click on rail movement and then fail at the click and drag, I have to reclick on rail and start again clicking and dragging. Worse, because failing on a click and drag usually leaves the unit unselected (which is totally annoying) you have to reselect it, choose rail movement and try again. Usually it takes me 4 to 5 clicks per unit to set up a move by the Austrian army near Italy by rail towards Serbia.

I don't remember having any trouble like this with ACW

also, if the rail movement button was not clicked before you set up the move, can you click it afterwards to make the move a rail move?

I am not a complainer. But I cant imaging going through a whole game clicking 4-5 times on each unit or more each turn.

I have the same problem using two different mouses. I can't imagine what it would be like on a touch pad.

Is anyone else having the same problem, or any ideas what I can do differently? Any chance to make it work more like ACW?

db99
Corporal

Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:37 pm

I'm afraid I have to agree with all your frustrations in regards to selecting and moving :-)

Zooming all the way in on the map helps with selecting if you are not already doing that. That's the only thing I've found that improves it so far. I suppose changing to a lower resolution might help too. I run 1680 x 1050 so some of the interface buttons, like the map views, are very small and cause me some problems at times.

Lafrite

Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:44 pm

Is anyone else having the same problem, or any ideas what I can do differently? Any chance to make it work more like ACW?

I respond strictly at technically level. :sherlock:

It will be hard : BoA, AACW, WIA and the future VGN are all build around the same AGE (Athena Game Engine) core.
This AGE core is programmed in Delphi (Pascal)

WW1 runs under a completly different engine (the same as Great Invasion with many adaptations), programmed in C++ language.

Retrofits from the two differents engines are impossible.

jmjjmj
Conscript

Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:49 pm

db99 wrote:I'm afraid I have to agree with all your frustrations in regards to selecting and moving :-)

Zooming all the way in on the map helps with selecting if you are not already doing that. That's the only thing I've found that improves it so far. I suppose changing to a lower resolution might help too. I run 1680 x 1050 so some of the interface buttons, like the map views, are very small and cause me some problems at times.

I like my 1920 x 1200 resolution, but I could try downsizing if that helps. I have to say that going to the maximum zoom in doesnt help much if the space you are trying to reach is beyond the edge of the current view, since it will often abort the move completely if you try to scroll the map with a unit picked up.

I should have mentioned general dropping problems, where I have the unit picked up and when i click to drop it doesn't drop but instead believes I was just selecting that province-- and I have to start all over.

jmjjmj
Conscript

Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:51 pm

Lafrite wrote:I respond strictly at technically level. :sherlock:

It will be hard : BoA, AACW, WIA and the future VGN are all build around the same AGE (Athena Game Engine) core.
This AGE core is programmed in Delphi (Pascal)

WW1 runs under a completly different engine (the same as Great Invasion with many adaptations), programmed in C++ language.

Retrofits from the two differents engines are impossible.

That is helpful to know. Perhaps some tips on working better with the interface or any way to help ensure you are actually picking up the unit.

PDF

Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:59 pm

If we had a hardware mouse option, I think it will help. The current software cursor is too big, and it's hard to figure where the real "pointer zone" is.

I also have a big issue with sliders (tech spendings, economic aid..) : when you click and try to move them the game gets nearly totally unresponsive, the mouse jumps every 2 seconds or so erratically, leaves the window and refuses to get back in... seems bugged. Scrolling arrows (left/right) on these sliders would also help.

Clovis

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:45 pm

I've currently no problem with drag and drop or mouseclick selection.

My config Core 2 duo E 6400 overclocked at 3 ghz, 2 Go Ram, 2 HD in Raid 0 mode, Nvidia 7950 GT card, 1680*1050 screen resolution, Windows XP

Maybe it's because my config is rather powerful. Or maybe it's some lag effect due the hardware incompatibility spotted.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

PDF

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Clovis wrote:I've currently no problem with drag and drop or mouseclick selection.

My config Core 2 duo E 6400 overclocked at 3 ghz, 2 Go Ram, 2 HD in Raid 0 mode, Nvidia 7950 GT card, 1680*1050 screen resolution, Windows XP

Maybe it's because my config is rather powerful. Or maybe it's some lag effect due the hardware incompatibility spotted.

Mine is 4x inferior or so (Athlon 2400 and GF6600), but heck, I'm talking about moving a cursor, not controlling a space flight or such !! :wacko:

db99
Corporal

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:55 pm

PDF wrote:If we had a hardware mouse option, I think it will help. The current software cursor is too big, and it's hard to figure where the real "pointer zone" is.

I also have a big issue with sliders (tech spendings, economic aid..) : when you click and try to move them the game gets nearly totally unresponsive, the mouse jumps every 2 seconds or so erratically, leaves the window and refuses to get back in... seems bugged. Scrolling arrows (left/right) on these sliders would also help.

I strongly 2nd the hardware mouse option :thumbsup:

If you pause the AI during your turn before you adjust sliders etc. that helps with the mouse jumps quite a bit.

jmjjmj
Conscript

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:59 pm

Clovis wrote:I've currently no problem with drag and drop or mouseclick selection.

Mine is not too underpowered, I think. Core 2 duo P9500, 2.53 ghz, 4 GB RAM, NVDIA M 9300, 1920 x 1200 when hooked up to my monitor, Windows Vista.

Maybe it's another vista problem. I have another computer thats XP. maybe i should see if the same problem occurs with it.

PDF

Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:42 pm

I'm under XP. Given the magnitude of the slowlessness it can't just be my machine, there's a bug or driver or compat problem.

Clovis

Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:02 am

jmjjmj wrote:Mine is not too underpowered, I think. Core 2 duo P9500, 2.53 ghz, 4 GB RAM, NVDIA M 9300, 1920 x 1200 when hooked up to my monitor, Windows Vista.

Maybe it's another vista problem. I have another computer thats XP. maybe i should see if the same problem occurs with it.

I'm prone to think the incompatible CPUs are the more recent Intel.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

jmjjmj
Conscript

Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:42 am

ok, I'm getting more of the hang of the movement thing. You can pick up and drag the desitnation arrow circle (but dont click on it without pulling it or it cancels the movement). also the delete key works to move you back one province

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”