Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:01 pm

This is an amazingly innovative and ambitious engine; indeed it may turn out to be a pioneering effort that will prove to be a harbinger of future developments in strategy wargames.

There are still some problems with patch 1.06a, but they are minor, and what is more important: the fundamentally exquisite nature of the overall design shines more clearly with each new improvement.

A game this good is worth waiting for.

I do not doubt that in a year or so, we will see lots of games that are hollow copycats of the ingenius game system we have here!

It is very encouraging to see a game maker pushing the envelope, taking some rirks, and advancing the standards of the industry, even if it does in involve some stumbling, and require some patience on our part as fans/players. Anything I can do to help you guys, just send me a note! In the long run, I think you guys will reap dividends from having taken this risk.

I also want to say that I sympathize with the hard work and devotion of the developers these past few weeks/months, not to mention having put this all together in the first place.

*Standing Ovation!*

calvinus

Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:13 pm

Many thanks Anthropoid. The hard job of the last three months almost collapsed my brain, and I'm now not able to keep working the 16 hours per day like before. However, I'm still working on the game, little by little, in order to get the best version as possible. I think this would mean other 2-3 months of development, for new features and improvements, plus bug fixing and minor corrections, of course.

I really hope this experience will open a new segment for wargaming. The game engine is extremely complex and hard to replicate in coding. So in my future I could evaluate the opportunity of releasing the source code of the core engine, for those volunteers who wish to develop similar games for WW2, Balkan Wars, etc. etc... :love:
On my side I'm 99.9% sure that this is my last game. :eyebrow:

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:21 pm

Wow, sorry to hear it has been such a hard experience for you Calvinus.

It really is an excellent design.

vonRocko
Colonel

Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:43 pm

calvinus wrote:
I really hope this experience will open a new segment for wargaming.

I just want to say Thank you Calvinus. This game will be a classic! It is sad to hear this will probably be your last game. The industry certainly needs innovative thinkers,like you.
Thanks again for many hours of entertainment and fun! :thumbsup: :coeurs: :)

gpepper

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:05 pm

calvinus wrote:Many thanks Anthropoid. The hard job of the last three months almost collapsed my brain, and I'm now not able to keep working the 16 hours per day like before. However, I'm still working on the game, little by little, in order to get the best version as possible. I think this would mean other 2-3 months of development, for new features and improvements, plus bug fixing and minor corrections, of course.

I really hope this experience will open a new segment for wargaming. The game engine is extremely complex and hard to replicate in coding. So in my future I could evaluate the opportunity of releasing the source code of the core engine, for those volunteers who wish to develop similar games for WW2, Balkan Wars, etc. etc... :love:

The last months were hard, I know how you can feel today ! I've been there before, with you !
This game is great, we did a huge work on it but you deserve it more than me, because it is your game and because I just did the look of it...
We are to old to spend to much time working. You have better to do know like having a child ! I hope to see you soon Luca ! ;)
:thumbsup:
[CENTER]. : G P E P P E R : .
[url]http://www.gillespfeiffer.com[/URL]
[url]http://www.frenchschoolofcg.com[/URL][/align]

calvinus

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Gilles hit the point! My next creation will be a child! :thumbsup:

Carnium

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:47 pm

calvinus wrote:Gilles hit the point! My next creation will be a child! :thumbsup:

All the best Luca :thumbsup:
Good side of your new "creation" is that you will not need 16 hours per day to create it and it will contain (almost) no bugs ;)
Raising your "creation" on the other hand could feel just like the gaming industry - working 16+ hours per day, no sleep and a good chance for "bugs" in the process before the "final" build :D

Adlertag

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Indeed, raising a child is by far the most difficult challenge in an entire life.
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

AndrewKurtz

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:15 am

calvinus wrote:On my side I'm 99.9% sure that this is my last game. :eyebrow:

I hope that is not the case, but given the effort you have put put out in the last few months, I can imagine where this is coming from.

My only piece of advice is to put some time between you and the battle before deciding you never want to fight again. The worst time to make any decision about a situation is when you are in the middle of the situation.

And I also want to make sure you know there is a strong contingent of us out here that really appreciate what you have designed, built and supported. I said it early and I mean it more now...this game is going to be a gem (it is already very close, if not there). So from me personally...thank you :coeurs:

Franciscus

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:47 am

calvinus wrote:Gilles hit the point! My next creation will be a child! :thumbsup:

My dear Calvinus, don't even THINK about comparing your recent work, with troubles, anxieties, successes and victories, with those of raising a child. Believe me, I know :p apy:

It seems that you are overburned, after WW1 difficult release, etc. Take a break, a deep breath, relax, and move on.

Regards

calvinus

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:16 am

My many thanks to all of you who are giving so great moral support with your nice words! :)

Flop
Major

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:52 pm

calvinus wrote:On my side I'm 99.9% sure that this is my last game. :eyebrow:

I was hoping you'd be developing Great Invasions 2. :(

But I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide.

gpepper

Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:25 pm

I just hope his AI won't be such complex as WW1 one ! :neener:
[CENTER]. : G P E P P E R : .

[url]http://www.gillespfeiffer.com[/URL]

[url]http://www.frenchschoolofcg.com[/URL][/align]

calvinus

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Flop wrote:I was hoping you'd be developing Great Invasions 2. :(

But I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide.

A volunteer is studying the code..... :siffle:

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:22 pm

calvinus wrote:A volunteer is studying the code..... :siffle:

Studying for update or sequel?
"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Tecnócrata
Conscript

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:48 pm

Just ordered this title from UK (awaiting arrival), but just wanted to say that the refund offer was an impressive gesture.

Sure, should be the norm, but the fact is that it is not, so this honesty is a virtue these days and should be praised.

So far this and Stardock are the only worthy developers right now.
[SIZE="3"][font="Book Antiqua"]I told you that we'll meet again here. The Place Where There Is No Darkness.[/font][/size]

SDFDAA
Civilian

pppppppp

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”