PhilThib

Official Communique

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:10 am

Dear Purchasers of AGEOD’s WWI,

For those who do not already know me, my name is Philippe Thibaut, General Manager of AGEOD. I wish to make a brief announcement on behalf AGEOD regarding our just released title, WWI.

[color="DarkRed"]WW1: La Grande Guerre [/color] is an extremely ambitious game, based on a very rich and sophisticated set of rules. It was developed by a third-party team based in Italy. The engine is not same one which drives BOA, AACW, NCP, WIA, and ultimately VGN. WWI was produced with a vastly improved version of the same engine which was first used to develop the game, Great Invasions.

Some of you are experiencing various problems (freezes, CTDs, bugs, unclear rules, and/or a lack of adequate documentation). I am deeply sorry for these problems. However, I am absolutely certain that these problems will all be completely resolved to your ultimate satisfaction. Please accept my personal apologies for any inconvenience and disappointment. Luca Cammisa, head of the Italian team, is working around the clock to correct any and all issues. I have many years of experience working with Luca. He and his team are very talented, and I have full confidence in them.

The plan is to get out the first patch as quickly as possible to address stability and hardware compatibility issues. A second patch should follow in a few weeks which will address the most serious game play bugs. Beyond that, as there have always been for our games, there will be further patches until the game realizes its full and ultimate potential. Finally, we are aware that the initial game manual is inadequate and that providing a copy of the board game rules for download is no substitute. Concurrent with coding and testing, we are working on a complete and comprehensive manual.

AGEOD has always strived to be an ambitious industry leader when it comes to history oriented strategy/wargaming. Quite a few of our games have received awards and wide spread acclaim. Ambition has driven us to raise the bar with each new game. However, no company can continuously push the edge of the envelope without occasionally stumbling as has happened here. Modeling the “War to End All Wars” and one of the greatest conflicts of the last century was an epic undertaking. Despite some humbling initial problems, we assure you that AGEOD is up to the task. Ultimately, WWI will be no less of a masterpiece than any of our other titles.

We appreciate everyones’ understanding, patience, and loyal patronage. We have been as open and transparent as possible about this situation. However, we would never seek to impose on or exploit our customers’ good will. Therefore, we fully understand and accept that some of you might prefer not to wait until all remaining issues with WWI are addressed. So for those who are not satisfied with WWI as it now stands and prefer not to wait for patches, we are ready to reimburse your purchase price.

Please know that ultimately what AGEOD values most as a business is our reputation for quality and customer service along with happy customers who feel that they have received full value for their hard earned dollars or euros. Even if you should choose to return the game, we hope you will still consider yourself part of the AGEOD family. You will always be welcome here to discuss our products with us and guide us to realize games that are only bounded by your and our imaginations. Thank you.

Philippe Thibaut
General Manager, AGEOD
:love:

FLS

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:18 am

Gentlemen,
Standing ovation please for Philippe and his team !!!

Nikel

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:23 am

I am not affected by these problems as I have not bought WWI, so sorry for been the second to answer here :neener:

Just wanted to say CHAPEAU for your statement :hat:

Carnium

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:29 am

Thanks for the info Philippe :thumbsup:

Could you make both announcements a stickies as things can easily get overlooked because of the big amount of new threads.

Rafiki

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:33 am

[color="Blue"]Good suggestion :) [/color]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

sval06
Captain

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:38 am

PhilThib wrote:.... Even if you should choose to return the game, we hope you will still consider yourself part of the AGEOD family. You will always be welcome here to discuss our products with us and guide us to realize games that are only bounded by your and our imaginations. Thank you.

Philippe Thibaut
General Manager, AGEOD
:love:

I am still confident on your capability (correct english word?) to fix these issues.

That's because I am considering myself as an Ageod family member that I do not want to be reimbursed for WWI despite the actual problems. And as in all family sometimes problem occurs, but at the end everything is fine...

As my boss said when I began working: Keep up the good work :coeurs:

@ Tagwyn: Are you happy?, it is written in (broken) english :D

Preussenhusar
Civilian

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:19 am

Henry never would have given back the game - so won't I.

I will wait for the patch.

:thumbsup:

PH

boudi

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:32 am

This official communique is welcome ! Good communication ! In Ageod we trust. :)

On les aura ! ;)

Vous n'aurez pas l'Alsace et la Lorraineeeeeu,
Et, malgré vous, nous resterons français.
Vous avez pu germaniser la plaine,
Mais notre coeur vous ne l'aurez jamais.

Et na ! :D

murat
Lieutenant

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:38 am

I confirm my trust in Philip and in Calvinus.
The ageod game procjects is the most important devolopmet in the main of the wargamer.
The historical accurancy render an ageod's game an jewel.
Thank you for all
murat

yoppy
Sergeant

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:12 pm

Till now I invested a remarkeable amount of money in the programms of ageod.
And I will do so in the future because I'm sure that ageod makes no "fire and forget"-policy after launching their product to the customers.

The way the problems and possible solutions here in the forums are discussed and Philippe Thibaut and his crew communicate with us is the best proof for that.

Keep on doing your good work. :)

philo050
Civilian

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:43 pm

I too Am holding on to this rough diamond ;) for when it is cut and polished it will be a thing of beauty :thumbsup:
hip hip hoorah!
philo

Phillip
Civilian

Persevere

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:55 pm

One of the frustrations with the present Tutorials is the size of the text window and the difficulty of carrying out the on-map actions with only a very small proportion of the screen surface available. You could dispense with the text box entirely and have the Tutorial text on a printable pdf document (regressive though that may seem to the IT mind, it works and is very clear), or, if you can't dispense with the progression cue's provided by clicking from screen to screen, then at least make the text window smaller so more of the screen is accessible. There would have to be more text windows, but that would be the lesser of two evils.
In a world where unaccountability is the mantra of the age, it is refreshing to see someone taking responsibility for their mistakes -almost unheard of in the IT gaming world.
Although I disagreed with the delayed activation, I would like to see this game work and I'm sure you will be able to make it as good as it's forebears. Persevere.

vonRocko
Colonel

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:03 pm

Thank you Mr.Thibaut. well said! I never doubted Ageods integrity. :thumbsup:

Seven
Corporal

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:10 pm

This is the best response I've ever seen coming from a game company over an issue like this, ever.
Superlative.

Highest Regards,
Seven

animaluk
Corporal

stick with you

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:23 pm

I will be sticking with this game and this great company. no refund here thank you :)

Franciscus

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:29 pm

:coeurs: :coeurs:
I would not expect nothing less from PhilThib knowing the past. And I personally have all confidence in his will to make WW1 as good as he certainly expects, being so clearly a work of love from him.
Without false romanticism, I must say that I really feel part of a family, here, but I am really a little selfish ;) : I love good strategy games and you provide them. I have and will continue to support you the most important way - buying your games - because I really want you to have success and continue making great games for my pleasure.

But I apologise for my presumption, but would like to give a little piece of advice to the AGEOD team.

Clearly AGEOd is ambitious. They certainly want to be a dominat player in the field of strateg PC gaming. WW1 and the upcoming VGN are big steps in that direction, I am certain.
But I feel that you are in a crossroad, and you must think wisely about your future course. You may continue to make games for the wargame / strategy "hardcore" comunity and a few other non-hardcore gamers like me that just simply like a good historical based strategy game. If so, you can rest fairly assured that we will continue to support you and wait faithfully months while, through the patching process, your games keep improving.
BUT if, as I suspect, you are trying to attract a larger player population, you must be careful. If you want to put your games in the FNAC shelfs, you must remember that most players expect to have good documentation and a stable game out of the box. Most mainstream players do not go the forums and do not follow closely the patching process. If frustrated, they will simply stay away from your future games.
If you want to grow and keep your reputation, you must really grow as a company.
This sentence of your statement:
PhilThib wrote: Concurrent with coding and testing, we are working on a complete and comprehensive manual.

is exemplary. I am glad and expect this to be true. Nevertheless it really should be something to be done mainly before release date. How to do it is up to you. There are ways that work (think Stardock).

Wish all the best to you.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Official communique

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:01 pm

This game is a masterpiece. It does need polishing, adjusting, and finishing. The documentation, especially, needs to be much better.

If you stick to the 2 player game, it appears to be quite stable. At least it is for me, and my system is not high end. Ageod will fix the other modes, in time.

I admire the scope of what Ageod is doing here. This game recreates the scope and feel of the Great War in a way that nothing else- be it book , movie, or game, has ever come close to.

I do suggest that Ageod create a help thread, sticky it, and answer every question asked as soon as possible in the thread. This would help immeasurably while we wait for patching and documentation.

Finally, It is much harder to build the Taj Mahal than a Macdonald's. Which would you rather have?

I salute Ageod for building the Taj Mahal, even though it is not complete yet. It will be, and those of us who stick with it will be richly rewarded.

Clovis

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:04 pm

I don't search the impossible, a company which doesn't make errors. I profondly appreciate to have a company which acknowledges error made and try to fix the question ASAP.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Mike_Toth
Conscript

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:20 pm

Philippe,

We all have confidence in you and your crew. You guys put out some
great games.

Keep up the great work, we're confident you guys will get everything straightened out.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WallysWorld
Captain

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:58 pm

I too want to state my full confidence in the team.

I have had no problems with the game so far and I look forward to many hours of enjoyment with the game.

richfed

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 pm

I have no doubts this game will excel. As soon as it appears to be reasonably stable, I will be buying.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

captainmatt
Sergeant

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:09 pm

I have had some problems with the game so far, but it is very apparent to me that AGEOD is taking the necessary steps to resolve the issues that have been brought up by players so far. I am a faithful player of ACW, BOA, and D2 and I expect that this game will outdo all of the others. No refund is necessary and I do look forward to more patches/updates/explanations of the game!

Slick Wilhelm
Corporal

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:30 pm

Seven wrote:This is the best response I've ever seen coming from a game company over an issue like this, ever.
Superlative.

Highest Regards,
Seven

These were exactly my thoughts as I was reading Philip's communique. I never thought I'd see the day where a software company would actually tell the truth and be so forthcoming for the benefit of their customers.

To be honest, I was leaning against purchasing this game. But now I'm going to buy it, if for no other reason than to support a company who knows how to treat it's customers.

Well done, lads! :thumbsup:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:51 am

Dear Slick Willie: Yes. Your English is fine. I speak a bit of French and a bit of Spanish and almost no German. Your intention is very clear. t

mi1291
Private

Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:27 am

Despite this nasty youth problems, I think this is one of the most important, innovative (war)game project in last 10 years.

Soon This will be my first ageod's game. surely it will be not the last one.

Philippe & Luca:
From Italy.....
Thanks for this game !!!

06 Maestro
General

Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:38 am

This purchase was my first Ageod game. I am having some difficulties, (no crashes:thumbsup :) , but I have been there before.
If the French could hang in there after Plan 17, I think I can hold out for a few weeks or months until the required patches are forthcoming.
The offer to reimburse the purchase price is very unusual, and gracious, but I will pass on the offer. However, I would ask that the Italian team pass on the vino and canolies for the next few weeks. Avanti!

Johnnie
Captain

Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:33 am

PhilThib:

Bravo. Your company's philosophy is one reason why I have purchased BOA, WIA, NC, ACW, Montjoie and WWI. And I will continue to purchase your products.

That said, crack the whip and get that patch out. I had my first CTD tonight.

Keep up the good work.

db99
Corporal

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:16 am

I'll keep my copy and am really impressed with your offer to buy it back :) Don't see that very often in this industry. I have 2 other AGEOD games and they are some of my favorites and I'm sure this one will be too.

I'm one of the lucky ones who've only experienced a crash or two. I've been playing in all my free time :D I'll admit that I do stare at the screen and run the mouse over everything trying to figure out what I need to do to advance to the next phase on occasion but it's been fun nonetheless ;)

Should be a pretty phenomenal game once it's up to speed. I've been enjoying it an awful lot as is :thumbsup:

In the mean time I might have to finally pick up AACW.... :niark:

Hannibal Smith
Private

Thanks

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:00 am

Merci, bravo et ... bon courage. :coeurs: :thumbsup:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wwi

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:44 am

Phil: You know how I feel. I will keep the game. Best, t :coeurs:

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”