Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Strategy-Wargamer first impressions

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:05 am

http://the-strategy-wargamer.tumblr.com/post/60303843630/civil-war-2-first-impressions-i-was-able-to-get

He seems to like it so far. Much bigger scope than the first game, plus a GIANT map, nice icons, tons of options, and user-friendly UI. His main problems were with key commands and shortcuts that pertain to unit info like the left-ctrl key in the first game which would show unit numbers rather than the default unit power.

To me this map, while more simple in appearance, really lends itself well to movement and unit placement. Most early impressions seem to echo each other in that this new map is much easier to play around with. Also, the unit scroll box seems more refined than in PON/AJE/BOR.

Overall, this preview is very positive, especially since it's not coming from an AGEOD mark like myself. He's relatively new to the interface and features, yet took to it very well. That bodes well for new gamers looking to break themselves in to this type of game.

arsan

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Thanks for the link! :thumbsup:

Pocus

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Yes the reviewer is quite enthusiastic! I just regret he did not play any of the tutorials though, some concepts would have been easier for him if he did them :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Canon
Lieutenant

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Game looks great! Too bad the reviewer was a beginner or we could have seen more in depth features.

Not sure why he doesn't like the Power rating, as it gives you a rough estimate of what the sum of your forces equals. It would be complicated and frustrating to find out on your own how artillery compare to infantry, or even militia to conscripts to regulars!

What this review did was firmly establish that I will buy the sequel (although I was 95% sure I was going too). In anticipation I've been replaying the Original a lot and have really gotten back into that game.

I hope more battle scenarios are added, via DLC if required, covering Kentucky, Antietam, etc. with maybe even the Grant vs Lee battles in 1864, which most players will never get to see otherwise.

Return to “News from AGEod”