Philkian

Ageod's Civil War II from Historicon

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:53 am

Hi guys,

here are the details that that Philippe Thibaut released at our annual press conference at Historicon on Civil War II.

Philippe Thibaut

AGEOD is a company that was created in 2005 by two French veteran developers and game designers, Philippe Malacher and myself, Philippe Thibaut. Some of you may be heard my name already, as the creator of the grand strategy game Europa Universalis… but we have done quite a few games already, and are planning to do more

Our goal back then was, and still is, to create historically realistic games of operational or grand strategy, and we also wanted to do that on a specific game engine that would render at its best the feel and circumstances of warfare. Our first – and successful – attempt was with Birth of America, a game on the American Revolution.

So over the years, with the subsequent addition of more games to our line, we have also developed this engine to suit our needs: the Adaptive Game Engine, a.k.a. AGE.

One of our most successful games during our recent history was Ageod’s American Civil War, which was released back in 2007. I’ll tell you more about this game and its present heir in a few minutes.

In the last 8 years, we did our best to produce interesting and original games on various subjects, and we sold them to a core group of faithful clients that was slowly but continuously built up over the years. We are proud to say that most of our customers hold more than one of our titles, and regularly express their confidence in our potential and products. But they also express (sometimes loudly) their expectations and desire for more and newer.

This is where we came to the conclusion that we could not at the same time satisfy the clients and continue to grow by our own, as we were just too small and not multiple-headed to do what was required. It became increasingly obvious to look for partners to help sustain our development.

Everyone knows that finding a good and reliable partner is difficult. And even when you have found one, working along is not always that easy. So we took our time and were relatively cautious and patient in evaluating who we should merge with. Luckily for us, we had been working with Matrix and Slitherine since years, almost from the very start.

So we had some good and long-standing experience in mutual collaboration and respect, and it was evident for us that we had found a potentially suitable partner. With the Slitherine Group we could have access to secure funding and an even bigger community of strategy gamers, so allowing us to continue to grow and create bigger and better games.

Within the group, we all agreed that our core values were similar, and that the years of building the Ageod brand and reputation should be built upon, not swallowed into a larger one-named entity… Ageod thus continues to operate its current forums and sell its catalogue of games from an Ageod website, using the Group’s standard copy protection methods and e-commerce systems operated by Plimus. This will also enable Ageod customers to purchase a full boxed version of their favorite titles direct from the site, something which was not much possible for our smaller team before.

So why are we are today?

An innovative history strategy game company can find all sorts of subjects to dwell on and develop. But our experience shows that it is sometimes difficult to reach a large audience if the subject is itself too original or unique. We know how to make detailed and wonderful games, but we have to make sure they appeal to a large crowd.

At the same time, we had the feeling that our products looked sometimes overly elitist and complex, and this impression was probably due to some concepts and ergonomic designs that began to date a bit.

So we wanted to create our next game with those two aims in mind: a subject to please a large number of players, and a look and ease of play that would appeal to the greatest majority of gamers.

As I said a minute earlier, Ageod’s greatest success was its game on the American Civil War, released 6 years ago and still a good seller to date. It was voted Wargame of the year by two sites, and was also selected by Scholastic to be an important part of their History catalog. We felt that this great game could benefit from all the efforts and improvements our AGE engine has seen in the same period of time, and so we could offer a renewed and even better experience to our fans.

So with all of this in mind, we decided a year ago that our 2013 title would be Civil War II, and this is the game I am going to present you now.

Civil War II

Description
Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.
This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

The first video shows the main menu and displays some of the game options, then loads a scenario which ends on the map, centered over the Union capital.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1TwyM-eWvk

Map & Generals
A tour of the map which is split into regions, shows an assortment of terrain including navigable rivers, hostile environments such as wilderness, swamps and an explanation of their impact on the game. The map is huge, from New England to the Rockies and from Canada to the Caribbean (far-off regions, e.g. California or Europe, are represented by off map-boxes). A mini map located in the bottom corner helps players to jump to the right destination.
Each region is identified and displays terrain, ownership, loyalty, supplies, and infrastructure.
The game displays naval and land units easily. Tabs allow quick navigation between stacks located in the same area. Clicking on a unit displays a more detailed panel with extra information.
In particular, great care is given to the historical organization of troops; armies, corps and divisions (with their respective leaders) all clearly identified on the map. Flashing red highlights indicate the respective command structures and orders of battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giwxZafeyKs

Main game functions are accessible via a single button click.

Recruiting Units; in the game is done by a single button click. Units are then dragged and dropped on the map (which shows in green or red whether or not it is possible to build there). Filters allow sorting units by type (infantry, cavalry, artillery, ships) or by theater, for quick decision making.
Regional Decisions is a new feature added to the game. Also accessible via a single button. It uses the same principle of drag and drop to map regions where they are permitted, again shown in green. It has certain similarities to a card game and adds an element of excitement and specific effects (quite a few are in the “Dirty Tricks Department”). This can be used to help improve your regions (e.g. telegraph line construction) and is an innovative and simple way to represent various events without special rules.
Last, the Ledger organizes information about the player’s nation and displays Historical Options which are easily accessed by a single click and which are implemented during the next turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfSOjJ1UGI

Foreign Powers & Original Scenarios

Extra features rarely seen in others games:
Foreign Entry; CW2 also permits playing as or against the British, French, or Mexican forces. The game map provides the opportunity for more diverse theaters of operations, from Canada to the West Indies and from Mexico to Europe). Orders of Battle for these foreign powers are well detailed.
Political Cost of Command; all of the key leaders are rated for seniority and political affiliation. Players can monitor their generals and decide when to give them Command or decide not to promote them; causing then them to become discontented, losing seniority and possibly having political implications. All affecting the final chances of victory. Bypassing the command hierarchy is possible, but costly in terms of national morale which is a key element in winning or losing the game.
Original scenarios; are planned already. For example Sibley’s New Mexico campaign in 1862, and more will follow, allowing original and diverse conflicts to take place across the breadth of the map, with conflicts in neighboring lands from Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean to operations and warfare in the Far West.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlmWXCTDpuk

Victory & Defeat – Simultaneous Movement - River Movements

Victory or defeat is achieved by reaching your victory morale or falling below your defeat threshold. Gaining morale is done by defeating the enemy and by capturing objectives located across the entire map.
CW2 is a simultaneous turn based game. Players issue their orders and the game will process them simultaneously offering greater realism and often surprises and also allows Multiplayer via our PBEM system.
An interesting feature is strategic movement along rivers. This key aspect of the American Civil War is closely depicted, with various types of river craft. Providing an opportunity for swift redeployment along navigable rivers and for transfer of supplies, however do not overlook enemy coastal defenses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnVCTZGf7gM

Conclusion

CW2 is the latest version of AGEOD’s famous and popular game engine. The American Civil War was originally released in 2007 and this new and hugely improved version brings a host of new features to the period. This combined with a greatly improved interface design and some great new gameplay features will attract both existing and new fans to the period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-IIfaKb_JE

Below you can also have a look at some screenshots from the game

Portraits

Carribean Islands

Division break down

Don't mess with the British

Face off

Generals

Mighty Union Fleet

Producing Ships

You can visit also the official product page http://www.ageod.co.uk/products/500/details/Civil.War.II

anjou
Lieutenant

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:14 pm

So many wonderful rivers. I love the smell of regional decisions in the morning

gekkoguy82
Major

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Those leader and unit portraits are pretty sharp! I'm also liking the look of the map. Different than the original, but nice. Keep up the good work, really looking forward to this game! :thumbsup:

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:55 am

Just a question. Can we disable the animated flags? They are very irritating. Especially when some screens show how well the units stand out from the map, on others this effect is ruined by these gaudy sort of things. And, was a sharpening filter used on the screens? They look pixelated.

But thanks for a very comprehensive update. Looks like the game is shaping up nicely and we're immensely looking forward to playing it.

Carnium

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:08 pm

Very nice preview. Another superb AGEOD game for my collection :coeurs:

Gen.DixonS.Miles
Captain

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:20 pm

It is perfect in my eyes with the display. But! Now I need to play it.

Kensai

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:38 am

I love the upgrade/update of everything. From icons to maps. :w00t:
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Mirandasucre
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:45 am

YES !!!.....can't wait for this game and Sibley's campaign......hope for a Great Sioux Uprising in Minnesota DLC campaign ....and for The French Expediton in Mexico DLC campaign too....and dream of Bozeman trail ....and 1876-77 sioux campaign....and more....

Leibst

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:11 am

This argument "So we wanted to create our next game with those two aims in mind: a subject to please a large number of players, and a look and ease of play that would appeal to the greatest majority of gamers." worries me a bit.
When a company talks about ease of play for me means less interesting. I like the actual level of complexity of AGEOD games.

Why is going to be easier to play CW2 than AACW?
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Carnium

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:02 am

Leibstandarte wrote:This argument "So we wanted to create our next game with those two aims in mind: a subject to please a large number of players, and a look and ease of play that would appeal to the greatest majority of gamers." worries me a bit.
When a company talks about ease of play for me means less interesting. I like the actual level of complexity og AGEOD games.

Why is going to be easier to play CW2 than AACW?

My guess is that AGEOD wants to make games that would appeal to larger crowd that before (=better sales). This means that inevitably SOME of the AGEOD veterans might be a "bit" less pleased than before.
Judging from the screens there are already some "interesting" graphical changes that I still haven't decided if I like them or not:
- completely new style of leader portraits (again). Way more "cartoonish" as before- some look incredible good, other less.
- units on map are now shown just till their waist (before the whole unit was seen)

Well some of us will ned some time to re-adjust to the changes :w00t:

Leibst

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:09 am

I'm sure the game is going to be a great game, but the term easier in wargames is not my friend. :p apy:
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:12 am

I may be in the minority here, but I'm kind of looking forward to a more lean, beer and pretzel AGEOD game for once. So many top down board game style strategy games take on the 'everything matters' approach, and after a while it can really be a grind. I don't care if the icons are animated or not, the bells and whistles don't mean squat to me... but in the end I just want to play something fun, and I know a lot of PC gamers have been turned off from these type of games in the past simply because they didn't have the desire or the time to become software coders; to understand the logistics, map, supply, morale, and everything else that is usually tossed into the mix in a war game.

If ACW 2 is a war game that paints a broad picture but with fewer colors I'll be a happy guy. So long as it's fun and it keeps that 'one more turn' game play alive, I think most of us will be happy. They don't need to reinvent the wheel with the sequel, just do what they did in the first one and improve on it.

Carnium

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Leibstandarte wrote:I'm sure the game is going to be a great game, but the term easier in wargames is not my friend. :p apy:

I kinda feel the same.
Maybe there would be a way to "dumb" down future games for people that like a quick and fun game without too much micromanagement (which could be assigned to the AI).
But maybe by "easier" they meant a more flexible and easier to access menus and setting and not "easier" AI and/or gameplay ;)

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:02 pm

My hope is that they have made the interface easier to use, and that is what they mean. You could do that without dumbing down the game. A lot of the complexity in the Ageod games is under the hood, so to speak, anyway. One thing that made the first Ageod civil war game difficult to learn to play was the constant deep raids carried out by the AI, to a much greater extent than happened in the real war. I would not miss that aspect.

Canon
Lieutenant

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:44 pm

My main hopes are

1: Improved AI (obviously). I found in many games as the Union I never faced any Army-sized force outside of Virginia. In the West I would roll up and isolate individual divisions who acted independently instead of concentrating to challenge me. In the 1862 campaign it was better, as the AI started with formed Armies, but once you smashed these they usually had a hard time pulling back together.

2: More scenarios. Thanks to the dedicated work of modders, the original ACW had a good amount of small and medium length scenarios. I found these just as entertaining as the main campaigns. If recent AGEOD games are any indication, modding new scenarios doesn't seem to be as popular now, so I hope the team will be able to supply this need instead, through DLC if necessary. I especially hope for Antietam, Wilderness, and Chickamauga battles, as nobody seemed to cover these, but would like to see the return of the 1862 Campaigns, Kentucky and Vicksburg.

3: More realistic losses. When you lose 10,000 troops in a major battle, it should take months to get back up to strength, rather than a few weeks. If an army loses a decisive battle it should be paralyzed (figuratively, not actually locked) and the regional initiative should pass to the victor. Right now I don't hesitate to engage in a pitched battle because I know whatever the outcome, I can still maintain whatever strategy I'm pursuing.

I have high hopes for ACW2, and hope the trend of great Ageod games continue.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:31 am

The ship drawings are pretty awesome if you ask me.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:05 am

This backlash against the 'dumbing down' of strategy games really annoys me, though I can understand the position. Here's why it bugs me. Like Vaalen said, a lot of the complexity of strategy games, particularly AGEOD games, is on the technical side. Build a decent engine with bells and whistles and construct a halfway competent AI and it will please both beer and pretzel types as well as the micro managers who were raised on board games and want to be able to count every horse and study battle casualty charts for hours on end. Like the voice said in Field of Dreams, 'build it and they will come.'

But this has always been an issue with gaming. Does a genre keep to its roots and only try to please its hardcore base that pulls its knives out at the mere suggestion of change, or does it change in order to attempt to expand its base and reach a wider audience? I guess it's a matter of preference, but for me I don't see any reason why strategy games can be dynamic enough to make both sides happy. I love the technical side of games such as the Gary Grigsby series, but I also love the quick and easy games like Unity of Command or Europe at War. In fact, for me the only real annoyance with strategy game development is that once a studio has found a successful model, they just basically do the same game over and over again (big finger pointing at Paradox). I love the eastern front in WWII, but I mean really, how many times do we need to see a top down 2D operational level game about Barbarossa? I can think of about half a dozen just off the top of my head. Where's the ingenuity? Where's the creativity? I love steak, but I wouldn't want to eat it every single day.

Return to “News from AGEod”