Pocus

AGEOD, Matrix and Slitherine merged! - A message to the players

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:37 pm

The official announcement can be read here:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27291-AGEOD-and-Slitherine-join-forces

And now, our own, personal message to you :D

Dear players,
Christmas is always a season full of gifts and surprises, plus there is this story about a newborn child, right? As such, we are pleased to announce two big news to you!

AGEOD has been reborn! The new AGEOD consists of the existing team (Philippe Thibaut aka PhilThib, Philippe Malacher aka Pocus, Fernando Turi aka Generalisimo and Gilles Pfeiffer aka the Dark Pepper), and is merging with Slitherine and Matrix!

Yes, you heard it, we have managed to form this triangle of wargaming expertise. Each entity will maintain its own identity, with the specific touch of each studio staying as the directing line for their new games. Basically it means that the AGEOD team will work on the AGE Engine, as before (one more turn syndrome? yes please!).

What does it changes for you? Only for the best. The AGEOD Forum stays the same, you can still buy our games at our webshop. You are still encouraged to mod our games, or even contact us if you think a project of yours would be a great game project. But there is more, with Matrix now a partner, we will be able to supply a full boxed copy of all our games. With the additional resources that the merger provides we have over 250 years of experience developing strategy games. This will allow us to share knowledge and technology to go on creating great games. In future the plan is to incorporate the Matrix system to allow unlimited downloads and installs as often as you like

Oh, I almost forgot something that might be of interest to you... Our next game, due in 2013 is Ageod American Civil War 2. I'm sure you'll want to know more about it, so don't hesitate to fire your questions...
Smoothbore or rifled, as you prefer :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:57 pm

What ? AACW 2, and what changes with the AACW (i think it's perfect)
Matrix ? Steel Panthers ? YUUUU !

:wavey:
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

bob.
General

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Would have preferred a completely new game instead of another AACW game but I am looking forward to it anyway. Well, how couldn't I look forward to any new AGEOD game ;)

Will it be more like an AACW+, improving the old game and making use of the new AGE engine features etc. or do you plan to create a game that plays very different from the old one?

Pocus

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:22 pm

bob. wrote:Would have preferred a completely new game instead of another AACW game but I am looking forward to it anyway. Well, how couldn't I look forward to any new AGEOD game ;)

Will it be more like an AACW+, improving the old game and making use of the new AGE engine features etc. or do you plan to create a game that plays very different from the old one?

Ah, this question had to come! And is rather difficult to answer precisely right now. Basically there will be both. We don't want to drastically change the experience of old players, but in the same time we want to freshen up quite a lot of windows (interface stuff thus) and concepts (gameplay features). Plus we will add some content, like a bigger map.

Just think of what we can do now with options compared to what we had, as tools in 2007.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Pocus wrote:... Our next game, due in 2013 is Ageod American Civil War 2.

Yeeeehaa!! :coeurs: :coeurs: :thumbsup:

Now seriously, I wish to all AGEOD team good luck in this new adventure... and new merger. ;)

Best Regards!

Ethan.
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Palpat
Colonel

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Hope the prices will stay the same.
Matrix ain't know for its price policy...

Carnium

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:05 pm

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!
Can't wait to see AACW2 and MAYBE NPC2 one day too :w00t:
Will there be any joint projects?

vonRocko
Colonel

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Absolutely Great! Good news! Happy Times are here! :thumbsup:

Matto
Colonel

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Great, near all games I have are from Matrix, Slitherine and AGEOD ... great to see you together :thumbsup:
Napoleon days in Austerlitz 2011 - photo gallery
My Czech pages agout AGEOD: AGEOD games, RoP AAR - Prussian side
My AGEOD games: WoN, TYW, EAW, CW2, AJE, PoN, NCP, ROP Gold, RUS Gold and BOA2

JMass
Corporal

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Good news! Good luck to you all! :w00t:
"Oh my lords, my brothers, my sons, the everlasting honour of Christians is in your hands."
[SIZE="1"]Αυτοκράτορ Κωνσταντίνος ΙΑ' Δραγάσης Παλαιολόγος[/size]

Now playing, testing or modding: AJE-BoR, Ancient Warfare, CMBN, CMFI, CTGW, FoG, RUS, Squad Battles, WWII-Europe
Idling: a lot of games

Garnier
Conscript

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:48 pm

I have a suggestion to make for ACW2:

Please provide a way to somehow export the data for a battle into a file, and import battle results back into the game.

There are different ways to do this. Simplest is to make the savegame file format be plain text, or if it's binary to make the binary format public.

Or better, you could have an in-game button to export a battle to a file and then a button to import results.

With these features, modders could integrate ACW2 with a battle engine like Scourge of War (that already provides import/export features). This would combine the strategic campaign with an excellent real time battle engine, similar to how the Total War series works, but with much more realistic campaign and battles.

Scourge of War is already published by Matrix, so letting modders bring the two games together would lead to more customers for both, which is a win-win.

wosung

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:52 pm

The A-M-S merger and AACW2 both sound like ... wise choices.
Hope the two times three of you will be happy with this.
Hope we'll get more good TBS.

Best regards

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Good Luck with the merger. A bit disappointed that the subject of the next AGEOD engine game will be the ACW again but I guess that's where the sales are.

Standing by for all the AJE DLC that you can crank out though.

Franciscus

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Great news !

This merger seems to make much more sense than "the other one" :) .

My wishes are for many success now and in the future for Ageod, making the games we love.

Regarding AACW2, simply can't wait :thumbsup:

PS: Garnier sugestion above of exporting data for battles is maybe difficult to implement but would be a great addiction, no doubt. Also, please consider to make cross-platform versions of future games, at least an OSX version. Let's get free of the Windows rule ! :cool:

Best regards

DanSez
Sergeant

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:25 pm

AACW2 --- WHEN CAN I PREORDER.

Great news, and yes there is a lot that can be done for the old girl - imporved battle results, larger map, new (and maybe earned?) traits.

Good luck with the merger. Is there any way that the Matrix site will recognize/register (at least AJE) purchases made at your website?

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:53 pm

This is good news. Ageod will not perish.

AACW2 is a perfect game to start with. Certainly you can adopt the better battle system reports, and maybe even improve the battle circle so people can figure out how the battle is progressing as it happens. It would add so much more to an already wonderful game.

And, at the risk of restarting an old war, I ask that you consider drastically reducing the constant deep cavalry raids by the south into the North, something that never happened historically, although their was much raiding in occupied territory in the south, and something that is very difficult for newbies to deal with.

Bodhis
Corporal

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 pm

Wow that are realy great news! Hopefully Matrix now will change its pricing policy :neener: ACW with all the new features you developed the last years will be great.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Good news all around. I'm actually kind of surprised that AACW will be getting a new coat of paint and a reboot, but it doesn't disappoint since I think I'm not alone in enjoying it the most.

I really like Matrix's titles available, but please don't let them bully you guys into price hikes for AGEOD games. Matrix's games, DRM free installs, and tech support are all great, but their pricing model is outrageous.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Boomer wrote:Good news all around. I'm actually kind of surprised that AACW will be getting a new coat of paint and a reboot, but it doesn't disappoint since I think I'm not alone in enjoying it the most.

I really like Matrix's titles available, but please don't let them bully you guys into price hikes for AGEOD games. Matrix's games, DRM free installs, and tech support are all great, but their pricing model is outrageous.

Boomer, I know what you mean about pricing, but Ageod will have to go along with the program. Personally, I am willing to pay Matrix prices to ensure Ageods survival. It just means that I will spend less on other games.

Hobbes

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:30 pm

And coastal forts working as they should :) All the best with AACW2!

Cheers,
Chris
P.S. increased chance to see foreign involvement (through believable ahistorical events) from marine interference and aid to full scale involvement would be nice - either as a scenario option or an additional scenario (but not 100% chance unless another scenario is made where this is forced).

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Regarding AACW2, I can't either wait!! :happyrun: :happyrun:

By the way, I think it would be fantastic if we could buy it in boxed version... Hopefully! :w00t: (Yes, I'm from the 80's. :neener :)
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

derblaueClaus
Corporal

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:30 pm

AACW 2 ? Sounds very appealing to me. Also good luck with the merger. Although I don't like Matrix price policy I think AGEOD fits very good in their portfolio.

bob.
General

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:37 pm

Well, AGEOD has many of their games on Matrix site already and many are cheaper than on this site (ageod.com)! For example, AACW costs 13 $ right now, RUS 20 $ because of the Christmas sale.
In the end it's the developers/publishers that decide the price, not Matrix. It's just that because of the small target group many of the developers decide to sell their games for a lot of money - I guess they think the audience that is interested in it will pay the higher price, too. Anyway, I don't see a reason why AGEOD games should become more expensive just because they teamed up with Matrix.

Mirandasucre
Lieutenant

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:15 pm

i can see on Matrix site : "The new Ageod will have the primary task of developing the AGE engine and expanding its capabilities to embrace new opportunities, not only in terms of the number and quality of releases, but also in respect of the platforms we will be working on."
Does it mean Ageod games on IPAD soon ?

Mirandasucre
Lieutenant

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Great news for AACW2....i suppose there will be PON elements in it...like economic matters......and perhaps tactical options like "Forge of Freedom".....could be a must....
I stlll dream of a MEXICAN REVOLUTION game like RUS....

DaiMonPaul
Private

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:17 am

Sounds like great news on both fronts!

charlesonmission

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:56 am

Congratulations and can't wait for AACW 2!

Charles

gchristie
Brigadier General

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:24 am

Franciscus wrote:Great news !

This merger seems to make much more sense than "the other one" :) .

Best of luck and good fortune in this new venture. I agree that this seems a better fit as all three companies have solid turn based offerings. Slitherine's Commander Europe at War has a very active modding community and forum for adults, much like here. The cultures of the three companies seem more aligned from what little I've observed.

And really, can one ever get enough American Civil War... :)

Out of curiosity, I see that Matrix has no plans for a Forge of Freedom 2 which seems wise. That being said, any chance that AACW2 would introduce a bit of player control over the battles given the new venture with Matrix? :coeurs:
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Ubercat
Sergeant

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:42 am

Great news on AACW2!

I have some suggestions. The map for AACW is gorgeous, but very "busy" and hard to interpret at a glance. The map for AJE is a beautiful work of art, and much easier to understand. Could the graphics of the new Civil War game reflect more from the AJE game than its own predecessor?

Also, The Shenandoah Valley was a critical area in the real war that never seemed to be very well represented in AACW. If the passes in and out of the valley were relevant in AACW I could never tell. Could they be clearly delineated in AACW2?

I was just thinking last night that a new edition of this game including all the advances you guys have made is a no-brainer. Thanks again!

DON
Sergeant

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:07 am

A day one purchase for me!

Return to “News from AGEod”