PANGI

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:46 am

i want 30 year wars game till i for the first time sat before computer and there is still none. i hope ageod one day will make a one
ImageImage

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:53 pm

There are some valid reasons why a Rome game would be a good idea. Firstly because there's obviously a market for them, seeing how many Rome games there are already. Secondly because it would be a less "hectic" game than those games involving an RTS-element, such as Rome:Total War (excellent game, too bad the AI is dumb as dog-residue) and Europa Universalis:Rome (also a good game), not to mention all the RTW-clones .
But, and I'm merely guessing now, the majority of the kind of people who would enjoy AGEOD-games are perhaps not the kind of people who will dedicate a whole lot of time in playing computer games. Unfortunately for us gamers.

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:55 pm

PANGI wrote:i want 30 year wars game till i for the first time sat before computer and there is still none.

Depending on how picky you are, there's both "Europa Universalis III", "M&B With Fire and Sword" and "Cossacks".

PANGI

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:30 pm

le Anders wrote:Depending on how picky you are, there's both "Europa Universalis III", "M&B With Fire and Sword" and "Cossacks".

very picky :) although i like cossacks
ImageImage

nadia911
Corporal

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:14 pm

They are talking about? Roma Total War? Cossacks? Europe Universalis? Mount & Blade? Sorry, but apparently mistook the forum, here is for real wargames, RTS games here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forum.php

Console games here: http://www.ea.com/

Welcome to the real world

oberst_klink
Lieutenant

30-years war AGEOD

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:23 pm

PANGI wrote:i want 30 year wars game till i for the first time sat before computer and there is still none. i hope ageod one day will make a one

Yeah, 30 years war would be interesting and even with 3 months turns quite a long and interesting challenge. Have you been to Belo Hora (spelling?) near Prague? I had the pleasure of teaching German in Mlada Boleslav once, loved the CZ.

Klink, Oberst
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Don't forget to visit the Gefechtsstand!

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:36 pm

For me the key is to invest in a good european map at ROP scale with Overlays. Than they can do just everything between 1600 and 1900. I would love to be able to play the different stages of the 30YW, but also LouisXIV's wars, etc...

Balderw
Conscript

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:53 pm

veji1 wrote:For me the key is to invest in a good european map at ROP scale with Overlays. Than they can do just everything between 1600 and 1900. I would love to be able to play the different stages of the 30YW, but also LouisXIV's wars, etc...
+1 :thumbsup:

PANGI

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:12 pm

oberst_klink wrote:Yeah, 30 years war would be interesting and even with 3 months turns quite a long and interesting challenge. Have you been to Belo Hora (spelling?) near Prague? I had the pleasure of teaching German in Mlada Boleslav once, loved the CZ.

Klink, Oberst

Hey, i'm travelling through Bílá Hora/White Mountain battlefield every day when im going to school. But today there is only a place around Letohrádek Hvězda/Star Summer Palace preserved -> from the very last moments of the battle when moravian regiment was slaughtered. 90% of the battlefield consumed city estates (Šterboholy/Battle of Prague (1757) battlefield is also lost). Last year i was surprised that they are reenactment of the final moment of the battle of White Mountain near the Palace. I didnt know that.
ImageImage

oberst_klink
Lieutenant

Not even Friedrich's battlefield waas preserved?

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:58 pm

PANGI wrote:Hey, i'm travelling through Bílá Hora/White Mountain battlefield every day when im going to school. But today there is only a place around Letohrádek Hvězda/Star Summer Palace preserved -> from the very last moments of the battle when moravian regiment was slaughtered. 90% of the battlefield consumed city estates (Šterboholy/Battle of Prague (1757) battlefield is also lost). Last year i was surprised that they are reenactment of the final moment of the battle of White Mountain near the Palace. I didnt know that.

But most of the 1866 Prussian-Austrian war battlefields are still there; I mean, not being built up. While in M-B I was close to most of them anyway.

Klink, Oberst
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Don't forget to visit the Gefechtsstand!

rezaf
Private

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Definately sad news for me - I HATE the frigging Clausewitz engine - I think it's one of the most horrible "3D" engines ever created - a major eyesore.

Real-time isn't a problem for me, though - I used to love all Paradox games back in the EU-engine times. As PoN has nicely proven, processing 1500 individual turns needs to be avoided at all costs, so if you want to have such a long game, Paradox' real-time approach is the way to go.

When Paradox made the move to 3D, I took refuge in AGEOD games - I picked all of them up, except RUS (and including PoN, the mess that it is).
I loved especially the hand-drawn maps like in AACW, less so the rendered stuff like in NCP.

Earlier in the thread, even the devs lamented the lack of mods for the AGE engine - imo there's a good reason for this - the moddability is horribly complicated. Heaps of badly formatted text files, interconnected in the strangest ways force you to sink loads of time in before you ever get to see something, and at the slightest error the game will crash on you with little helpful feedback about where exactly the problem lies - talk about modding unfriendly.

So, my wish, if the AGE engine is to be abandoned from the official developers for the most part, would be either an effort to release an official, usable game editor OR a restructuring of the files and feedback mechanisms to allow others to write such tools more easily.
Not that I have realistical hopes of this ever happening - there've been years of time in which it could have been focused, but instead these man-years were wasted on implementing superficial stuff that the engine is unable to cope with for PoN... a shame, really.
_____
rezaf

PANGI

not even that :)

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:01 pm

oberst_klink wrote:But most of the 1866 Prussian-Austrian war battlefields are still there; I mean, not being built up. While in M-B I was close to most of them anyway.

Klink, Oberst

Yes there are big reenactments of Hradec Králové/Königgratz battle every year. But of course the battlefield is huge - but i think it's well preserved. So the Kolín (1757) battlefield... and of course Austerlitz (i think it's biggest battle reeanctment in Europe? the 200 aniversary was definitely huge) The problem with Prague battlefields is that the city grows. Other battles had that luck that they were fought on a countryside
ImageImage

Quirk
Lieutenant

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:48 pm

Besides the Punic Wars or even a 30YW scenario I would prefer a War of the Roses game. I think it is a very interesting conflict and most players of AGEod games surely know about it.
The only strategy game with WoR as a background, as far as I know, is the old Kingmaker.

Rivers, fortresses, different battle sites...and I just love to behead my adversaries, if it serves a purpose :D

OneArmedMexican
General

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:00 am

Quirk wrote:Besides the Punic Wars or even a 30YW scenario I would prefer a War of the Roses game. I think it is a very interesting conflict and most players of AGEod games surely know about it.
The only strategy game with WoR as a background, as far as I know, is the old Kingmaker.

Rivers, fortresses, different battle sites...and I just love to behead my adversaries, if it serves a purpose :D

War of the Roses? It would surely appeal to the market in England. But in the rest of the world? In continental Europe or the US for example, most people know little about this English dynastic conflict. The history nuts that play AGEOD games may be a different crowd. But if you have to count on them alone, you end up with another game that remains a niche product.

Personally, I would love it but I would just as much enjoy a game about the 30 Years War. Guess I am one of the nuts. :bonk:

PhilThib

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:21 am

We are all nuts....starting with our dear squirrel lead :mdr: :mdr:

Quirk
Lieutenant

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:18 am

Well, maybe I was a bit too optimistic. Problem is of course that Ageod has to reach enough players to ensure the profitability of it's project. With the War of the Roses the risk might be too high.

Nevertheless, the WoR is definitely one of my favourit settings. If anyone knows another game besides Kingmaker, I would be glad if you could tell me :)

Nikel

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:26 am

If you search for "war of the Roses" you will find a few in the boardgamegeek site, for example

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25277/richard-iii-the-wars-of-the-roses

Florent

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:33 am

Nikel

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:35 am

Now that you talk about GMT...I wonder if the P500 thing coud have saved AGEod, well perhaps not P500, but P5000? :bonk:

PhilThib

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:41 am

We had thought about it, but it is not working for the PC strategy game industry....

The P500 does not have you pay in advance, you just "know" about what minimum number of copies you can sell...which means knowing more or less what you'll make for sure...

This is rather good to know but quite useless for us, because what we need is the finance before the game is even started in production, which means sometimes 12-18 months ahead of any sale...and in addition, we have now from past experience a rather good estimate of minimum sales...so globally, it would not not help :(

Quirk
Lieutenant

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:23 am

Thanks for the suggestions, though I was more thinking about computer games. I very much enjoy boardgames, but it is hard to find people who are willing to engage in strategy boardgames for some hours nowadays.

Kingmaker was adapted for the PC and Amiga in the early 90s or so.

Nikel

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:35 am

Quirk wrote:
Kingmaker was adapted for the PC and Amiga in the early 90s or so.

Sorry, did not know it, thought it was only a boardgame.

Nikel

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:38 am

PhilThib wrote:We had thought about it, but it is not working for the PC strategy game industry....

The P500 does not have you pay in advance, you just "know" about what minimum number of copies you can sell...which means knowing more or less what you'll make for sure...

This is rather good to know but quite useless for us, because what we need is the finance before the game is even started in production, which means sometimes 12-18 months ahead of any sale...and in addition, we have now from past experience a rather good estimate of minimum sales...so globally, it would not not help :(

Oh, I thought it was precisely this way, that you had to pay in advance for your pet game, once they had 500 people that had payed then the company would create the game.

Of course those payers would have to trust you, but I bet there are more than one here ;)

Then how many and how much each would have been needed for you to survive per year? Assuming 1 game per year?

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:01 pm

OneArmedMexican wrote:War of the Roses?

Paradox is already making that game. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?648-War-of-the-Roses

PI is my favourite game publisher.

caranorn

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:30 pm

le Anders wrote:Paradox is already making that game. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?648-War-of-the-Roses

PI is my favourite game publisher.

Obviously not a strategy game about that conflict...
Marc aka Caran...

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:43 pm

caranorn wrote:Obviously not a strategy game about that conflict...

Strategy/RPG, since it looks to be a lot like M&B.

dinsdale
Sergeant

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:07 pm

I havent posted in a while, life has reduced the amount of time I get to play, and practically eliminated the time I get to spend talking about games :)

While I'm sad that the new game isn't on AGE, I understand that compromises are necessary, and if it keeps Phil+Phil making games, then the results can't be too bad. However, one concern I do have is the AI. I have been (un) pleasantly surprised many times by the opponent in AACW and WIA, can that type of perfomance be replicated in a real time engine where there doesnt appear to be as much processing power dedicated to AI?

Since discovering Birth of America, I think I have every ageod game, including Great Invasions and WW1. While there may be mixed results in terms of the products, with the BoA type games being of the highest, each game have some pieces of absolute genius in them.... so it can't be all the engine ;)

I will miss updates to AGE, the games looked beautiful and the WEGO was perfectly suited to the design. I still play WIA, ROP and AACW whenever I can, I don't think I've gotten so much play out of games since EU1... I wonder if they have something in common :)

I wish all at ageod the very best of luck and hope that things work out with Paradox. I hope that you guys have a chance to continue making games for years to come.

lodilefty

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:28 pm

um, I don't plan to stop patching, if it makes sense do do so... :)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 pm

Less patching, more finished games!

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:24 pm

I suppose you have to be a European to want to play a game based on the "30 Years War!" It does nothing for me - at all! Where is AGEOD's market? Where do they get sales from? USA! Make games for the market. See? t

Return to “News from AGEod”