James D Burns

Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:13 am

I remember when this happened to Talonsoft. The management there gave all kinds of assurances that nothing would change and no one need worry. Six months later Talonsoft was just a one or two page website with a lot of dead links pointing to forgotten game patches.

Take 2 wanted their US distribution network and nothing else. So once the papers were signed, they quickly excised themselves of everything but that network and Talonsoft became a vague memory.

So I guess it all depends on what Paradox ‘really’ wants out of this deal. They already have their own distribution network, so it has to be the games themselves they want. I can’t imagine they’d spend a lot of money just to block a potential competing products release.

Unless of course they didn’t actually spend a lot of money on this deal…

Personally I hope things work out all right. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a situation where one company acquires another where people didn’t end up regretting the deal in some form or another in the end.

Jim

Anguille

Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:36 am

tagwyn wrote:Longblade banned me from Matrix forums. Even Earl could not help me. t

Longblade? isn't he a mod from wargamer forum?

richfed

Congrats!!

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:59 pm

Seems like a great move to me ... best of "both" worlds. Congratulations to you!! Awesome ...
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Ian Coote
Major

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Well, I hope its a good move, but it sure wasn't that great for Mad Minute Games and " Take Command Second Manassas ".

dduff442
Private

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:14 pm

I hope AGEOD retains its identity during the merger. The engineering culture at AGEOD is quite different from Paradox. The AGEOD game models are, in a word, better. I also feel AGEOD's pricing strategy is superior both commercially and in terms of customer satisfaction.

Jarkko
Colonel

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:10 am

tagwyn wrote:Longblade banned me from Matrix forums.

Longblade is not a mod on Matrix forums, but an admin at Wargamer forums :)

Quod erat demonstrandum.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Alzate
Private

papa and mama got married

Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:23 pm

a bit sad here
i am a long-run Paradox fan (i bought EUI in German back in 2000-01). i bought also pax romana. while paradox has moved towards mainstream gaming, losing some passion for their games and their fans, ageod has improved both their quality of gaming and dedication to their forumites. ACCW is a crowning achievement.
both companies have given me months of jonsyful playing, but i can't help feeling sad. hope it is for the best

tc237
Colonel

Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:40 am

Ian Coote wrote:Well, I hope its a good move, but it sure wasn't that great for Mad Minute Games and " Take Command Second Manassas ".

You might be thinking of MMG's first game "Take Command: Civil War Bull Run".
It was published by Activision Value, they gave it minimal publicity and retail distribution.
IMO Paradox did more than enough for TC:2M. There was tons of publicity, at least in wargaming circles. A big print run, there are still boxes showing up in retail, might be bargain bins but retail stores never the less.

Pocus

Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:12 am

Alzate wrote:a bit sad here
i am a long-run Paradox fan (i bought EUI in German back in 2000-01). i bought also pax romana. while paradox has moved towards mainstream gaming, losing some passion for their games and their fans, ageod has improved both their quality of gaming and dedication to their forumites. ACCW is a crowning achievement.
both companies have given me months of jonsyful playing, but i can't help feeling sad. hope it is for the best

Thanks for the feelings.

Pax Romana has not been made by AGEOD or the AGE engine though.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Nial
Colonel

Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:54 pm

Well...I am going to be cautiously optimistic. Only time will tell how it will all turn out.

So best of luck AGEOD.

Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Nial
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Ian Coote wrote:Well, I hope its a good move, but it sure wasn't that great for Mad Minute Games and " Take Command Second Manassas ".

MMG was not bought out by Paradox. The latter only published TC2M, and that was a while ago.
"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Zoso
Conscript

Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:26 am

I have not posted in quite some time but I have to tell you this makes me very very sad. I have written Paradox off my gaming list a long time ago and never looked back. Not a way to bring in the new year. :(

The Magi
Conscript

Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:37 am

I also wrote Paradox off my list for obvious reasons already stated. To be honest, I only bought there products because I could not find a other company providing adequate games in that genre.Then I found AGEOD and Matrix games so I jumped that ship. Looks like they found me here but I doubt they will buy Matrix games soon. At least I hope not. >.>

I blame my country America for all of this. :blink:
========================================
Ageod Games Owned: Pride of Nations, American Civil War - The Blue and the Gray, BoA2: Wars in America, and Rise of Prussia ========================================

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:29 pm

Ahoy mate: PI soon to own all strategy/adventure/war gaming. Watch out Matrix. t

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:37 pm

I am with you my friend. t

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:40 pm

J: Did I claim otherwise? I don't think so. t

RELee
Lieutenant

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:26 pm

A bit late in coming, I know. We had a re-org recently as well, and configured our wardrobe to suit the situation. In honor of the acquisition...

I promise, this is the 2nd and only time I'll post this. I know it ain't pretty. ;)

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Has AGEod been renamed "Paradox France"?
"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Pocus

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:56 am

The company is still Ageod, but as a shortcut so that people understand we are now a subsidiary of Paradox, Paradox France is also valid.

No plan to change ageod.com and our logo to Paradox France, among others things :) .

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

A Real Shame

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Dang I haven't been to the AGEOD forum for a while and now see the bad news that AGEOD has allied with Paradox whom I have no interest in ever doing business with ever again. Their Hearts of Iron game series was the worst ever created.

It was bad enough to be allied with Matrix but going with Paradox is a big step backwards for AGEOD. Well as long as I can buy direct from AGEOD I won't mind so much. A real shame that the computer wargaming industry is riddled with such poor game marketing companies, makes it tough for truly independent wargame creators to exist and provide quality games that are better than the flood of bad games perpetuated by Paradox.

Generalisimo

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Omnius wrote:Dang I haven't been to the AGEOD forum for a while and now see the bad news that AGEOD has allied with Paradox whom I have no interest in ever doing business with ever again. Their Hearts of Iron game series was the worst ever created.

They are not "allied", Paradox bought AGEOD... there is a subtle difference on that. ;)

Omnius wrote:It was bad enough to be allied with Matrix but going with Paradox is a big step backwards for AGEOD. Well as long as I can buy direct from AGEOD I won't mind so much. A real shame that the computer wargaming industry is riddled with such poor game marketing companies, makes it tough for truly independent wargame creators to exist and provide quality games that are better than the flood of bad games perpetuated by Paradox.

One of the points of the new agreement is that AGEOD remains like an independent studio... and you can still buy AGEOD games on the AGEOD webshop. ;)

Anyway, without getting into much detail, I think you are being abit unfair with paradox... although we may agree that their games are not perfect, a LOT of people have fun with them.... including myself. ;)
But that's another discussion... for another thread... or maybe for another forum... this is about AGEOD games. :thumbsup:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Return to “News from AGEod”