I have prepared v0.4 of Berto's WIA Weathers Mod. To download, see the first message in this thread.
v0.4 of the mod introduces even more variability, and reintroduces "Blizzard".
v0.4 also fixes the WIA always-fair-weather in coastal areas bug described in the thread
The v0.4 weather specifications are:
@areasnorth = ("Canadian_Maritimes", "Eastern_Canada", "Western_Canada", "Eastern_Great_Lakes", "Western_Great_Lakes", "Upper_New_England");
@areasmiddle = ("Lower_New_England", "Kentuckee_Uplands", "Upland_Middle_States", "Upper_West", "Northern_Plains", "Coastal_Middle_States", "WxAtlantic", "WxEurope");
@areassouth = ("Southern_Plains", "Upland_South", "Upland_Southeast", "Lower_Louisianne", "Coastal_Carribean", "Coastal_Southeast");
@areasall = (@areasnorth, @areasmiddle, @areassouth);
@northcold = (3.5
, 3.2, 3.1, 2.5, 1.1, 0.5, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 1.1, 2.5, 3.1);
@north = (2.8
, 2.5, 2.1, 1.5, 0.5, 0.2, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1.5, 2.5);
@northwarm = (1.8
, 1.6, 1.4, 0.9, 0.5, 0.2, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 0.9, 1.4);
@middlecold = (2.8, 2.6, 2.4, 2.2, 0.8, 0.5, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 2.2, 2.6);
@middle = (1.8, 1.6, 1.4, 1.2, 0.5, 0.2, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1.1, 1.4);
@middlewarm = (0.9, 0.8, 0.7, 0.6, 0.5, 0.2, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 0.6, 0.8);
@southcold = (1.5, 1.2, 1.1, 0.5, 0.5, 0.2, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1.1, 1.2);
@south = (0.9, 0.8, 0.7, 0.6, 0.4, 0.1, 0.1, 0.1, 0.1, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8);
@southwarm = (0.8, 0.7, 0.6, 0.5, 0.3, 0.1, 0 , 0 , 0 , 0.2, 0.4, 0.7);
For the Canadian_Maritimes, one of the "areasnorth", in January, with a specification of 3.5/2.8/1.8 (top to bottom, cold to norm to warm), the weather probabilities would be:
For "northcold" (3.5):
For "north" (2.8):
For "northwarm" (1.8):
Specifying an integer, e.g. 2, gives 100% probability for that weather, e.g., "Snow", as in (this hypothetical example, not actually specified in v0.4):
A (hypothetical) integer spec of 1 would give 100% probability to Mud:
Specifying a decimal number would vary between the round-up and round-down integers weathers. For example, a (hypothetical) decimal spec of 1.5 would give 50% probability of Mud, 50% probability of Snow:
The closer the decimal number gets to the round-up integer, the greater the probability of the round-up integer weather. For example a (hypothetical) decimal spec of 1.8 would give 20% probability of Mud, 80% probability of Snow:
While the closer the decimal number gets to the round-down integer, the greater the probability of the round-down integer weather. For example a (hypothetical) decimal spec of 1.3 would give 70% probability of Mud, 30% probability of Snow:
If it's not clear, the weathers again are:
0 - Fair
1 - Mud
2 - Snow
3 - Frozen
4 - Blizzard
So, for the Canadian_Maritimes, with January weather specified as 3.5/2.8/1.8 (see above), we get the corresponding entries in the WeatherPatterns_Canadian_Maritimes.ini file as
I have tried very hard to introduce sensible variation, and as much variation as possible, without violating the mod's three main design "principles":
--colder to the north, warmer to the south
--colder in the uplands and wilderness, warmer in the lowlands and toward the coasts
--consistency east to west (no "crazy quilt" weather patterns)
In order to achieve the desired effects (adhere to the three design principles), I have to constrain each region to just one or two "adjacent" weather possibilities in any given month (e.g., 2 => Snow; or 1.5 => 50% chance Mud, 50% chance Snow). To allow three or more possible weathers for a given region and month is to invite inverted weather/temperature patterns, "crazy quilt" patterns, or worse.
v0.4 of the Mod reintroduces, in a few areas in the coldest months, the "Blizzard" weather. I now interpret the word "Blizzard" to mean both
Snow and Frozen average conditions (not to suggest a continuous howling winter snowstorm lasting for up to 15 days).
Don't be freaked out too much to see a bit of rain/mud to the north, with snow to the south; or rain/mud in elevated regions, snow in lower elevations. I have tried to eliminate such apparent anomalies, but -- given the limitations of the AGE weather model -- it is difficult to impossible. No, you should interpret "Mud" (rain) to include both warm rains and cold, freezing rains. And "Snow" might imply warm, melting spring snows as well as cold, hard, mid-winter snows. "Snow" might or might not suggest frozen conditions. "Frozen" might or might not include snowy conditions, but could just as well mean cold, dry winter weather so common to much of North America. The point is, the weather concepts should remain fuzzy, and don't get too hung up on the (imperfect) Weathers naming scheme.
I have run through a complete year of test game turns, and I like what I see. Still not perfect, but getting better and better.
I still have some tweaking to do, but the broad outlines of this Weathers Mod are firmly settled.
I still need to:
--Reassign a few regions to different weather areas.
Here's a teaser. In the WIA/GameData/Areas.ini file, move the $Gillepsie Gap region from
// Area #94, Kentuckee_Uplands
UID = $area_Weather_Kentuckee_Uplands
Name = Kentuckee_Uplands
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = ... [remove $Gillepsie Gap from the list]
// Area #95, Upland_Southeast
UID = $area_Weather_Upland_Southeast
Name = Upland_Southeast
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = ... [add $Gillepsie Gap to the list]
That will get rid of the annoying "appendix" effect shown in msg #32 ("The Kentucky weather area (Kentuckee_Uplands)" message) of this message thread.
There will be a few more cosmetic changes like that. More importantly will be several planned major revisions around the boundaries of a few weather areas (for example, Lower_Louisianne).
-- Study more carefully actual long-term average temperature/weather patterns of North American climate. This will require a visit to the local library, supplemented by on-line researches. I want this Weathers Mod to be factual (within reason), not based on vague impressions or anecdote.
This remains a work-in-progress, but it's moving steadily towards the first "official" release v1.0. ("Official" in a personal sense. AGEOD may or may not decide to incorporate it into their official game releases. Nice if it comes to that, but doesn't really matter
In the next post, I will detail the Perl script I use to, basing off the specifications, generate the actual WeatherPatterns*.ini files.