PANGI

Frech&Indian War Graphic Pack

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:16 am

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

What is it?

This mod aims at making the game visually more appealing, by greatly enhancing the details and overall historical accuracy of the unit graphics for the French and Indian War scenarii. It includes new graphics for all three European powers: France, Great Britain and Spain.

Historically accurate you said?

All new models have been carefully researched, using various sources such as the Seven Years War Project, the contemporary paintings of David Morier, and Osprey books.

How to install?

1 - Download the .zip file attached at the end of this post.
2 - Extract the archive on your Hard Drive
3 - From there, you have two choices:
- either copy / paste the WIA folder from your newly extracted archive into your Wars in America game main folder. Remember to backup your original files before, as they will be overwritten in the process.
- or download JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler, a program that will allow you to install / uninstall mods at will without damaging the original game files.

Reminder!

Although there is no restriction to use it, the pack will install accurate units for the French and Indian War era only. If you want to play other scenarii, such as the American War of Independence or the earlier ones, the units displayed will still be those of the French and Indian War pack. This is due to a game engine restriction that reuses the same model for several different scenarii and units.
Therefore, the new units only replace the generic ones already in the game. For example, the new Highlander unit wears the uniform of the 42nd Regiment of Foot, but will be used for all Highlander units (72nd, 78th, etc.). The colonial American unit wears the uniform of Washington's Virginia regiment, but will be used for all other colonial units ("Jersey Blues", "Shirley's" and "Peperrell's", etc.).

Please ask any question and do not hesitate to share comments as well as criticism.

Thank you for stopping by, and happy gaming! :hat:

The armies

[CENTER]Image

[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Image

[/CENTER]
Attachments
F&I war graphic pack ver.6.rar
(619.89 KiB) Downloaded 1030 times

Carnium

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:21 am

Excellent work :thumbsup:
Are they all historical correct too ?

PANGI

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:26 am

well, ive tryed to make them historical as possible as can. But i was forced to compromises becouse of game mechanics and sometimes becouse of my esthetical feeling...

im free to receive instructions to improve them :D

Hobbes

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:33 am

Wonderful Pangi!

I am after some uniforms for a King William's War scenario that look something like these (they don't have to be exact - just some examples of the type of styles I need). Or a few alterations to the Voyager or Ranger uniforms would be useful.

If you or anyone can help out with any of these it would be of great assistance!

Thanks, Chris
Attachments
MilBostRegOffCav.jpg
Gibbons1697.jpg
British1705.jpg
1701A.jpg

PANGI

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:30 pm

ok...maybe i'll try something

ImageImage
Attachments
hobbes.rar
(65.63 KiB) Downloaded 489 times

Hobbes

Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:37 pm

:coeurs:

Many thanks PANGI! All the changes you make will give scenario designers more choice for unit graphics to use - these are great, much more like the units in the period I need.

It would also be nice to see a variation or two on the _CAN_Courrier unit.
A change of colour - a few bits of colour. Maybe even a version without a hat :)

Many thanks, Chris
Attachments
Settler.gif

TiFlo
Captain

Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:26 pm

Before I go on, those late 17th / early 18th century units look gorgeous!

Now, onto our FIW units. If you're still looking for suggestions, here are mine.

1) the French:
I believe the inside of the infantry jacket is of the same color as that of the lower sleeves (blue for your marine unit). Therefore, the part turned inside out (over the legs) should also be of that color. Right as you did with that marine soldier.
The grenadier. Either it is my eyes and I'm too old for that, or you really did add that mustache. Zehr gut Kamerade, zehr gut :thumbsup:

2) the Brits:
Since you chose the full dress for the Highlander, I would suggest to try and replace that rolled up blanket across his chest by the broadsword's belt (it should actually be hanging under his left arm, but I'm afraid there is only so much we can do).
The light infantry soldier is great too, but would be even greater if you could somehow manage to have him wear leggings. Brow leggings, as worn by my original Royal American soldier.

And I'll be pleased to offer you any help with that.

Again, great work, I love it!
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

PANGI

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:07 am

Thanks Hobbes. I'll try. It looks a little difficult. I'm curious about your scenario...

Thanks TiFlo. You're right about the jacket. Ive tryed to figure it out how to manage it. It is almost invisible on this model. I've colored the small corner which is visible but the result was unpleasant for my eyes. So i left it (for now - i'll see)

Natürlich :D it's a moustache:

I'll take a look on some highlanders (i must admit, that these guys are not my speciality - dont know much about them - but like their appearance :) ) also considering make him sword...

the light. I know about it. I have it in mind but left it becouse there is no model in WIA with gaiters. But i tryed:
But for now they are just white - i've tryed to make a dark one before (for royal americans (like you) as you can see in your thread) but somehow im not satisfied with it.

Hobbes

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks Pangi, don't worry about the difficult ones, anything you can do will be a help. A variation on the Courrier would be very useful.

Cheers, Chris

TiFlo
Captain

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:18 pm

*walks shamefully into the room*
I went back to my books, and the French coat is actually plain white on the inside... So you were right, and they should stay as they are now.

I sent you a PM for the British units. White gaiters is already better. I'll have a try with them on my side, and see what I can come up with.
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

PANGI

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Ah, it was missunderstanding. I though you wrote about waistcoats :) (it's my english)

PANGI

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:24 pm

So im trying to make dark gaiters:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

what do you think?

also trying to redone courier to looks more like from 18c
(dont worry hobbes, i didnt forget)
EDIT:I've made some research and found out that the original coureur des bois is much more historically correct than mine :(

Hobbes

Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Thanks Pangi he's great! :thumbsup: You have inspired me to start playing around with a few graphics myself. Bo Rearguard gave me a link to the free GIMP software which seems ideal for this sort of thing http://www.gimp.org/

I have made a version of your marine without the chest strap.

Cheers, Chris
Attachments
Marine2.png

PANGI

Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:24 pm

good hobbes...(but the courier wasnt intend for william's war. he's rather mid18c - i'll try some modification on him to better resemble early 18c for you)

Hobbes

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:42 pm

:coeurs:

TiFlo
Captain

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:14 pm

@ PANGI

Those gaiters are perfect! I'm sold :thumbsup:

As you said, the coureur des bois would be better off staying as it is now. The ingame unit is already pretty accurate. HOWEVER, trade the fur hat for a French regular cocked hat on your modified unit and I can perfectly see a French marine officer on summer field dress (although the coat would have to be blue, and I don't know what we could do with him...).

@ Hobbes
Great looking unit! I especialy like the open coat and the overlapping white tie.
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

PANGI

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:33 am

Let it be, TiFlo...

So i have made another changes. I was not happy about my original grenadier appearance so made small changes - BUT hope that the level of detail isnt too much :(

another attempt is french dragoon:

arsan

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:50 am

Great work Pangi! :thumbsup:
The grenadier looks great!
And that "elegant" courier is very cool.

EDIT: the only thing i'm not too convinced about is the red/yellow combination on the British. The mix of colours looks too flashy for my taste.
Is the yellow historical?? wasn't it kind of white-ish?? :confused:

PANGI

Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:09 am

well, the regiment of course have different facing colors, but yellow was very frequent and most among regiments in America theater. There is one with green facings in my pack (it's TiFlo's work!) for example, but it seems that the game operates only with one model of british regulars in F&I wars scenarios - so i think the yellow one better represents typical british king's regiment. (i didnt make statistics which facing color was most frequent but the yellow is somehow typical for me, i think... :( ) maybe i could use different tinge...

TiFlo
Captain

Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:59 pm

That new yellow looks very woolly, cool! :thumbsup: (Did you also touch the cap? It looks gorgeous close-up, as well as the sleeves).
That together with the red already in use give sort of a washed out look to the uniform, which would have been common among units stationned in the colonies for several campaigns.

About the facings, you said it all. And while yellow sure was commonly used, you could also find blue, orange, green, red (with white laces), white facings and derivatives of all these at that time. I believe all could be seen at some point in the Americas. Have a look here.
Still, I agree with you that yellow / yellowish facings are probably the ones most of us will more easily relate to. And since the game seems to only be using one model for the FIW scenarii, we're sort of short for variety here (I actually looked into adding more units to be able to use 3-4 more French regiments in game earlier this year, but it appeared to be more tedious than I expected, so I buried the idea).

Now, if you feel like doing more, there is another area that could be improved: the belts. I'll have to check for the French, but I'm pretty sure the British regular (and definitely the colonials) didn't yet have plain white belts at the time of the SYW. They would still be light brownish, like those worn by the late 17th Cent. soldiers on those pictures posted by Hobbes earlier. What do you think?
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

arsan

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:53 pm

The new yellow tone looks awesome! :coeurs: :coeurs:
It blends much better with the red! :thumbsup:
Congrats!

PANGI

Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:35 pm

thanks arsan :)

TiFlo, i think the belt is very light brown, but i could make them darker sure...i'll try

I hope i finished highlander model - the shape i mean, the sword still missing and removing that blanket is unattainable task for me so far :(

EDIT: made this (i was exaggerating as usual), but was so stupid and lost UNIT file, so i have to make it again :crying:

Hobbes

Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:40 pm

Love it. Socks especially!

TiFlo
Captain

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:52 pm

:happyrun:

I love it!! Although I believe none of the regiments on duty in North America during the Seven Years war had blue bonnets issued to them, and only wore black ones. At least according to regulation. But I could be wrong, and you're the artist :)

Do you need a hand for the Broadsword?

EDIT: In any case, the ribbon around the bonnet would not be white, as this would be the equivalent of the white cockade, which was a symbol of catholic units (ie. French regiment Royal Ecossois). The bonnets would most probably be plain black (or blue), but if you really want to keep it, I'd suggest making it red, as that would be coming in use circa the 1760's.
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

PANGI

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:04 pm

You have survey. Ive used this site as main source http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=42nd_Foot - as i said before, realy dont know much about highlanders.

TiFlo wrote:Do you need a hand for the Broadsword?

you can :D

Hobbes

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi Pangi, he looks a lot closer to this image from Pontiac's War than the AGEOD highlander. I would like to use him for the scenario when you are happy with him and upload the file. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Chris
Attachments
The_Battle_of_Bushy_Run.jpg

TiFlo
Captain

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:20 pm

Mmh... Fair enough for the ribbon. But I stick to my point :D

On the other hand, I took a close look at the Balmoral bonnet in my closet, and it is indeed blue. Mind you, a really dark one. Have a look here, maybe you can see the subtle difference between the wool and the black ribbon at the back. And the regimental orders of British Highland units of that time indeed mention that the bonnet is made of "heavy blue wool" (I'm quoting Stuart Reid in his 18th Century Highlanders Osprey book). Which from afar would just look plain black.

@ Hobbes
That picture, however good looking and showing the great courage and determination of imperial troops facing savages, is not very accurate. For very well researched contemporary paintings of Highland units in the FIW and Pontiac's War, I'd strongly recommend those of Robert Griffing.

EDIT: 1, 2, 3, 4 (better quality rendering here)
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks TiFlo, I have just been looking for some other pictures!

Would the highlanders have actually been wearing kilts into this battle?
It seems in winter or rough country they may have been wearing trews or tartan leggings?

Never thought about this before :)

Cheers, Chris

PANGI

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:41 pm

Hobbes wrote:I would like to use him for the scenario when you are happy with him and upload the file. :thumbsup:

Sure you can. Ive already uploaded the fist version (with TiFlo's hated blanket :D ). Next version will follow some day :) i hope - and have no idea which will be the last :D

Ok TiFlo, the more information the better. The paintings are brilliant (i know them). I'll try again.

Hobbes

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:46 pm

PANGI wrote:Sure you can. Ive already uploaded the fist version (with TiFlo's hated blanket :D ). Next version will follow some day :) i hope - and have no idea which will be the last :D

Thanks Pangi, there is no rush for me so I will add it to the scenario in a month or so. The scenario is finished apart from some PBEM testing but I don't think it will be generally available until the patch after the current beta.

Cheers, Chris

Return to “WIA Mods”