Donegal
Corporal

Modding textures for a better perfomance?

Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:14 am

Hi
I have a 1 GB RAM PC and I have problems with the map,scrolling to slow, even disabling the big textures in the game options. Can the textures be modified for a better perfomance? I have seen there isn't textures in the last screenshot of the Punic war mod. How can the textures be modified?
Thanks

arsan

Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:39 am

Hi Donegal!

Sorry, don't know about the textures modding. :bonk:
But removing them like on the Punic mod would make the game look horrible!
I have played the game with 1GB RAM (on XP) without problem (just got another GB recently and it helps, but not that much).
The first time you pass over an area is slow as it takes some seconds as the textures are loaded on memory, but after that the scrolling on that area is Ok.
I use to do a zoom out, scroll badly around so region bmps get loaded and then i can scroll normally. :thumbsup:
Maybe upgrading the graphics card drivers can improve performance. I have an 5 years old ATI 9600pro and installing the latest omega drivers helped improved thing greatly on this and other games.
The official ATI Catalyst are very bad for old cards :(

Also, increasing the size of the windows virtual memory should help. I have it at 3 Gb.
(Franciscus is the local expert on memory managemet. Surely he can give better advice about this if he sees this post :) )
Hope it helps!

Pocus

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:06 am

You can play without map textures, and regions will be only color-keyed. Add UseTexOnly =1 in general.opt file.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

deadmeat1471
Private

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Thx!

interesting.... it seems to have little effect on performance XD

Return to “WIA Mods”