Hobbes

Help with Winter Quarters

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi folks, can anyone answer this to save me a bit of time. If I have 2 units called Ojibwa and I want to send both back to a certain village regardless of their current location is there an easy way to do this? The regular winter quarters example (below) just seems to pick one at random. I could fire the event x times depending on the max number of Ojibwas there could be but this seems a bit basic. Is there a better way?

I'm making slow progress with Pontiac at the moment as my wife is just out of hospital following a hip op but I'm still working on it when I get the time and I'm not too drained. Hopefully it will be ready by end February.

Send a unit to Winter Quarters:

StartEvent 999 Can occur an unlimited number of times
EvalUnqUnit Ojibwa Warband Finds a specific named unit. {Copy/Paste the unit name to insure exact match}
This command insures that the unit still exists. Otherwise, event does not occur.
TurnIndex 10 Occurs only on turn 11 of each year {January 1 = TurnIndex 0}
SelUnqUnit Ojibwa Warband Selects the unit found in Conditions.
MoveUnit $Ojibwa relocates to the region indicated. {Insure that it is a valid Alias: }
ChangeFixing 5 set the unit to be fixed for a set number of turns.
Cheers, Chris

lodilefty

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:32 pm

Hobbes wrote:Hi folks, can anyone answer this to save me a bit of time. If I have 2 units called Ojibwa and I want to send both back to a certain village regardless of their current location is there an easy way to do this? The regular winter quarters example (below) just seems to pick one at random. I could fire the event x times depending on the max number of Ojibwas there could be but this seems a bit basic. Is there a better way?

I'm making slow progress with Pontiac at the moment as my wife is just out of hospital following a hip op but I'm still working on it when I get the time and I'm not too drained. Hopefully it will be ready by end February.

Send a unit to Winter Quarters:

StartEvent 999 Can occur an unlimited number of times
EvalUnqUnit Ojibwa Warband Finds a specific named unit. {Copy/Paste the unit name to insure exact match}
This command insures that the unit still exists. Otherwise, event does not occur.
TurnIndex 10 Occurs only on turn 11 of each year {January 1 = TurnIndex 0}
SelUnqUnit Ojibwa Warband Selects the unit found in Conditions.
MoveUnit $Ojibwa relocates to the region indicated. {Insure that it is a valid Alias: }
ChangeFixing 5 set the unit to be fixed for a set number of turns.
Cheers, Chris

AFAIK, the 'easy way' is to give them 2 different names and have 2 events:
for instance:
Ojibwa Warriors
Ojibwa Raiders
Ojibwa Warband
etc...

I think that event an 'unlimited event' only fires once per turn. You could try simply duplicating the event as is,as that approach seems to make an event with same name work for some of the 'regular replacements' events in campaigns... Might still have trouble with random selection, though...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:30 pm

Damn, OK thanks Lodi. I did have them all called by different names but changed them - deciding it would be easier if the names were the same.

I'll have a play around tomorrow.
Chris

Hobbes

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:23 pm

I assume if event 1 fires and moves a tribe to it's home village and fixes it event 2 could fire and it would look for another non fixed tribe with the same name and move that. I'm surprised there is not a command that can affect all units with the same name.

Could this be done to move all units with the same model name? Something with selectsubunit? Then each tribe would have to have its own model.

Might be easiest just to fire the event multiple times depending on the number of units with the same name. A bit of a pain as some of the larger tribes have up to 6 or 7 units. If I use a different name for each Indian unit in a tribe I will still have to have a seperate event to move each.

Of course it could be left up to the player to move units to winter quarters or freeze. I'm not sure from game experience that Indians freeze too quickly though?

Cheers, Chris

lodilefty

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:28 pm

More thoughts:

In the Fallen Timbers, Winter Quarters events have probability assigned. This avoids 'everybody goes home' leaving the IND player with nothing to do for 5 turns.

You could make Winter Quarters AI-only [IMHO with probability], and thus let humans manage it themselves

Slightly OT:
The EP and FE 'systems' are always in place. We can use them for things other than French in AWI or options. They can be used as 'success counters' similar to VP, to trigger events...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:54 pm

lodilefty wrote:More thoughts:

In the Fallen Timbers, Winter Quarters events have probability assigned. This avoids 'everybody goes home' leaving the IND player with nothing to do for 5 turns.

You could make Winter Quarters AI-only [IMHO with probability], and thus let humans manage it themselves

Slightly OT:
The EP and FE 'systems' are always in place. We can use them for things other than French in AWI or options. They can be used as 'success counters' similar to VP, to trigger events...

Good points Lodi but I don't think either side would have much to do for those 5 turns so they should be resolved quickly. I wouldn't like to see an
Indian player able to continue a siege into deep winter. I'll bear this in mind in testing though. I'm mainly using NM for event triggers but I may find a use for your ideas.

Thanks, Chris

Hobbes

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:22 pm

I'm trying to achieve a similar effect to allow one tribe to sue for peace independently and return to their main village. In this example I am trying to send three Wyandot tribes back to Lorain and fix them. Sometimes it moves all three back to the village but sometimes only two. Anyone have any idea why this might be? In my tests all three are in different stacks.

Actions
SelUnqUnit Wyandot|0
MoveUnit $Lorain
ChangeFixing 999
SelUnqUnit Wyandot|0
MoveUnit $Lorain
ChangeFixing 999
SelUnqUnit Wyandot|0
MoveUnit $Lorain
ChangeFixing 999

Cheers, Chris

lodilefty

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Hobbes wrote:I'm trying to achieve a similar effect to allow one tribe to sue for peace independently and return to their main village. In this example I am trying to send three Wyandot tribes back to Lorain and fix them. Sometimes it moves all three back to the village but sometimes only two. Anyone have any idea why this might be? In my tests all three are in different stacks.

Actions
SelUnqUnit Wyandot[color="red"]|0[/color]
MoveUnit $Lorain
ChangeFixing 999
SelUnqUnit Wyandot[color="red"]|0[/color]
MoveUnit $Lorain
ChangeFixing 999
SelUnqUnit Wyandot[color="Red"]|0[/color]
MoveUnit $Lorain
ChangeFixing 999

Cheers, Chris

Is the one not sent in a stack with inactive leader?
Or otherwise 'locked'?
Or under siege?

Try it without the [color="red"]|0[/color]

May also be the 'same name' issue...
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Hobbes

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:00 pm

Yes I think I will have to go back to having unique names.
Cheers, Chris

Return to “WIA Mods”