lodilefty

1777 Saratoga - 15 day turns

Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:00 pm

Yes! 15 day turns. :thumbsup:

For now, as mod only, to see how well it [a new SupplyMod command] works. :D

[color="Red"]Requires version 1.02c or later.[/color]

Easy extract format:
  • Download attachment
  • Unzip into your Wars in America folder.
  • You should be asked if you wish to overwrite WIA folder [if not, you're in the wrong place ;) ].

No files are overwritten
2 files:
WIA\Events\1777 Saratoga 15.sct
WIA\Scens\1777 Saratoga 15.scn

Enjoy!
Comments welcome! :)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Carnium

Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:06 pm

I am sad to see that aparently nobod else tried your improved Saratoga scenario. :(
Tried it myself as I found it when I was searching for topics about the original Saratoga scenario.
Can you please list the changes you have made to the original scenario ?
Played as the USA and quite liked your scenario. The only problem is (like the original one) that there is almost no fight on the north (Fort Ticonderoga) and you can win easily if you concentrate your forces around New York (which I easily captured in the first turns) and Philadelphia and hold the objectives long enough.
I hope you did not give up on this scenario as it is a step in a right direction.

lodilefty

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Carnium wrote:I am sad to see that aparently nobod else tried your improved Saratoga scenario. :(
Tried it myself as I found it when I was searching for topics about the original Saratoga scenario.
Can you please list the changes you have made to the original scenario ?
Played as the USA and quite liked your scenario. The only problem is (like the original one) that there is almost no fight on the north (Fort Ticonderoga) and you can win easily if you concentrate your forces around New York (which I easily captured in the first turns) and Philadelphia and hold the objectives long enough.
I hope you did not give up on this scenario as it is a step in a right direction.

The only change is that turns last 15 days :)

The setup does include the new command that adjusts supply generation and consumtion, but that is transparent to the player. ;)

Did you try it with patch 1.04? The new AI may male a difference...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Carnium

Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:51 pm

lodilefty wrote:Did you try it with patch 1.04? The new AI may male a difference...

Sure. I have all my games patched to the latest versions ;)
Played with the British and won by a single point. The big problem here is Burgoyne and his huge army which would need cca 100 days to reach Fort Ticonderoga. But he gets locked every third turn and it seems that the AI is lost when this happen. That is why I have never every seen him reach Fort Ticonderoga (your and the original scenario) when the Brits were played by the AI. Can something be done to help him a bit ?

lodilefty

Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:00 am

Carnium wrote:Sure. I have all my games patched to the latest versions ;)
Played with the British and won by a single point. The big problem here is Burgoyne and his huge army which would need cca 100 days to reach Fort Ticonderoga. But he gets locked every third turn and it seems that the AI is lost when this happen. That is why I have never every seen him reach Fort Ticonderoga (your and the original scenario) when the Brits were played by the AI. Can something be done to help him a bit ?

Hmm, here's what I do:
Do you see the bateaux nearby? Load up, float down and land! Separate the Germans if needed, too. I also bring the bateaux down from 'up north' to contnue this method.

I usually take Ticonderoga by turn 2 or 3.

Getting to Saratoga, however is another problem, but that's history, eh?

Now, how to get Athena to do this.... :blink:

Have you tried giving AI more Activation bonus?
Also, more detection bonus may help [it did in BoA, but I haven't tested it much in WIA]
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Carnium

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:16 am

lodilefty wrote:Hmm, here's what I do:
Do you see the bateaux nearby? Load up, float down and land! Separate the Germans if needed, too. I also bring the bateaux down from 'up north' to contnue this method.

I usually take Ticonderoga by turn 2 or 3.

Getting to Saratoga, however is another problem, but that's history, eh?

Now, how to get Athena to do this.... :blink:

Have you tried giving AI more Activation bonus?
Also, more detection bonus may help [it did in BoA, but I haven't tested it much in WIA]

I did the same .. but not as early as you did and the US troops from Ticonderoga invaded first. Pure suicide ;)
Athena on the other hand is kinda lost when it is supposed to do something like that. Would it be too ahistoric if you give the British enough bateauxes to load all the forces and land them near Ticonderoga ?

Will play a bit with the AI bonuses today and will report back later.
Detection seems to be ok, as the AI is aggressive enough and will explore your mistakes and strike on the strategic cities just when it hurts the most :thumbsup:

lodilefty

Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:33 pm

I'm not sure more bateaux would do it, as AI has difficulty with amphibious activity in general [also true with AACW game, I think] :(

Similar problem with the 1815 Scenario led to a complete rewrite, with a lot of AI 'helpers'. I'm too busy right now to rewrite this one, but would be willing to 'coach' a modder through it. :w00t:
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Carnium

Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:46 pm

lodilefty wrote:I'm too busy right now to rewrite this one, but would be willing to 'coach' a modder through it. :w00t:

We are in no hurry ;)

Carnium

Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:47 am

Tried this with all sort of bonuses (activation and detection) to the British side and there is no way to "force" Athena to reach and attack Fort Ticonderoga. It will give a great fight on the south but the north is too calm.
Right now both Saratoga scenarios could be labeled as "best played as the British side"

Return to “WIA Mods”