JadeKing
Lieutenant

Cant play the game

Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:56 pm

Whenever I press the new game button, the game just sends my computer on standby, and forcing me to use the reset button. It even managed to change my sata setup to non-raid, causing me a lot of problems. So what is up with this :tournepas This is a really serious problem :p leure:

It happens both with version 1.00 and 1.02.
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Thank goodness we don't understand the language of ravens, jackdaws, crickets, frogs, and pigs. Otherwise we'd probably worry about what they think too. Yet how many people seem more brainless than the frogs and jackdaws? Does that make any difference to us? No. We let what they say upset us and render our lives utterly miserable.
Dio Chrysostom

PhilThib

Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Our tech support is away tonight. He will look into this tomorrow morning. I did not see anything wrong at first glance...this is strange :tournepas

Primasprit

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:14 pm

Hi JadeKing,

a serious problem indeed. :non:
However I can't imagine how the game could do anything like this on your computer. It uses only normal read/write functions and is certainly not able to mess with your raid system. :bonk:

Do you have other Ageod games running on this computer?
Maybe you can try to run some diagnostic tools for your raid system to check if everything is OK with that? Which raid mode are you using?

Does the crash exactly happen when you are pressing the New Game button or upon scenario selection?

Cheers
Norbert

JadeKing
Lieutenant

Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:59 am

I will try to install The civil war game when I get home from work. I have actually just formatted my drive, so I might have missed some upgrades, though I dont think so. Spent a whole day getting them all installed :grr:
Thank goodness we don't understand the language of ravens, jackdaws, crickets, frogs, and pigs. Otherwise we'd probably worry about what they think too. Yet how many people seem more brainless than the frogs and jackdaws? Does that make any difference to us? No. We let what they say upset us and render our lives utterly miserable.

Dio Chrysostom

JadeKing
Lieutenant

Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:59 pm

Ok, It seems that it is the Catalyst A.I feauture that crash the game. But only if you use the advanced option and not the standard. I actually experienced this in another game too (Not from AGEOD), so it seems like a really poor gimmick feature from ATI :fleb:

Dio Chrysostom

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Side note for non-experts: Catalyst AI is an ATI card feature. it's supposed to reduce the card activity when resources deman is low. its utiliy and impact is currently discussed in various forums.

Cheers,
Korrigan
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Primasprit

Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:25 pm

Good that you found the cause, I hope your issues are resolved now. :)

ATI makes good graphic cards, but their drivers are often unstable. I had never any problems with my old ATI 8500 but I bought two other ATI cards afterwards (9800, 1650) and had always some trouble. This were for example Blue Screens with several games. I changed to NVidia now and be quite happy with that.

(Well the best graphic card I ever had was a Matrox Millenium 2 however... :p )

Cheers
Norbert

GShock

Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:51 pm

Eh i know i know. ATI does make good cards, in fact it's the best manufacturer along with Nvidia (and sometimes even better). Unfortunately this with drivers stability sometimes is an issue. Only sometimes luckily.

Keep us updated on your situation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

JadeKing
Lieutenant

Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:45 pm

Yes, I have no more problems after turning this off. It is just weird it would shut my whole system down, and return to IDE mode. Especially since it is only when using the advanced setting and not standard. Maybe I should try and contact ATI, and see if they can explain it.

The card itself is fine though, and has served me well for many years. And I dont think it is getting retired any time soon, as I am not playing many graphic heavy games lately. Maybe when Empire: Total War comes out, but these games really gets on my nerves. I spent more time modding them, than actually playing them :sourcil: But I am also spending a lot of times trying to figure out which of the campaigns in WIA to play. So many to choose from :tournepas

Dio Chrysostom

Return to “WIA Technical support / Aide technique”