cotwell
Private

CTDs

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:30 am

Upgraded from 1.06C to 1.10e, and had two CTDs the first day (today). I have the Main log file, but cannot find either a crash dump or the saved game. However, I am able to resume the game, so there must be a save somewhere, right? How do I find it and how do I get the info to you? Anyway, I sent the Log files to your email address.

p.s. also upgraded the video driver but still got a crash just now.

cotwell
Private

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:35 pm

It may have just been an outdated video driver. Updated the driver and so far today the game hasn't crashed. I saved the game, though, and noted the path in the save message. No saved game there (except for the tutorial game) So....???

Durk

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Did you find the answer. Find saved games in the load portion of the main menu. If not there, go into the WIA folder on your computer. Open the Saves folder.

cotwell
Private

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Durk

There is nothing in the saves folder except the tutorial. I can load a game from the Load command in the menu (or I can resume my current game.) ???

Durk

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:00 am

So a question then, have you had a chance to use the save button during the game before the crash?
The reason I ask, this creates a new folder in the Saves file for your game. If there is no folder in the saves file, and you have saved the game from within the game, this would be very odd.
A second question, are you running the game as an administrator?

Ebbingford

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:09 am

I think the game needs to be ran as an administrator and installed somewhere apart from c:/programs. This should help matters.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

cotwell
Private

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:23 am

I have saved the game, but no new folder shows up in the Saves folder. It just crashed again, and told me to send you the "logs saved at:...." but then gave no location, and no new logs were saved - nothing with today's date. I haven't been running it as Administrator, but can try that. If that doesn't work, my backup DVDs just came, and I can uninstall and reinstall in a different location (as the post just above suggests.) Worth it? This will revert to whatever version is on the DVD however. (The download was 1.06, for some reason.) Maybe that would be better?

Durk

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:40 am

Yes, the issue is likely file location. I put most of my games in Programs (x) 86 or the Games Folder off the C: drive, but a unique folder works, too.
Two ways to run as admin, assuming windows Vista, 7 or 8, right click and select run as admin or open file properties and set to run as admin. In the newer windows versions you do not have full rights, so some game functions are not allowed.
It will be worth it. You will have a happy game and a happy time playing. No matter the version of the dvd, just update to 1.10e
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?26945-WIA-Patch-1-10e-Official-Legacy-November-13-2012

If you click on lodilefty links at the bottom of his forum posts it always has the latest update.
I always save the latest update in the same folder as the game. That way if I buy a new computer or need to reinstall I know right where it is.

cotwell
Private

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 am

Running as Administrator made it so that saved game now DO show up in the Saves folder. I'll try that for awhile and see if it still crashes. If so, I'll re-install to a location other than the Program Files (x86) folder - where it is now. We will see. Thanks for all the help!

Durk

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:54 am

Good news.
I like running from Program Files (x86) for PBEM as it always places the replay on the desktop.
Fingers crossed.

cotwell
Private

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:50 am

But the game still crashes when running as Admin. So I uninstalled it, except even running a command prompt as administrator, I cannot remove the folder 'Wars in America'. I managed to remove the .ttf file it left behind and all the sub folders but not the main folder.

So tomorrow I will try installing from the DVD I received. Do you think I should install in a new location?

Durk

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Sure, put it in your games folder or make a new folder; given the issues with the uninstall.

Also, make certain that you install as an administrator. I use the rick click to run the install as an administrator.

cotwell
Private

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:46 am

I installed the game off the disk - it was the old version: 1.06c. I made a new folder AGEOD - thought I'd put the other ageod games I bought in there too. But WiA still crashes. I haven't even updated it, because I was afraid to - it was the update that crashed before. I'm emailing the saved game and contents of the logs folder. But this is kinda depressing. I was really liking this game!

Durk

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:51 am

You will get it to work.
The version is not important as to whether or not it works. Updating might help, actually.
I wish I knew more about why you are crashing.
Hang in there. There is a fix which will work.
Try it in your games folder? Maybe?

Durk

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:52 am

You will get it to work.
The version is not important as to whether or not it works. Updating might help, actually.
I wish I knew more about why you are crashing.
Hang in there. There is a fix which will work.
Try it in your games folder? Maybe?

cotwell
Private

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:58 am

Usually it crashes at the end of turn resolution - this last time it just hung - I had the little spinny windows wheel. I could actually click stuff and managed to get to the desktop but when I started the game back up it immediately crashed.

Pocus

Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:04 pm

Try to activate error logging and provide the logs, this can help us (and you :) )

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

cotwell
Private

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Pocus wrote:Try to activate error logging and provide the logs, this can help us (and you :) )

How do I do that?

Ebbingford

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:36 pm

In the options menu at the start of the game, under the system tab, make sure that error logging is checked.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

cotwell
Private

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks. I'll try that when I get home today.

cotwell
Private

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:03 pm

I ran the debug, and got a crash with a memory exception error and an insufficient memory error. (I have 16GB, though....) The support team said they no longer support this game at their email address and that I must post to this forum. I have the logs and the saved game zipped up but nowhere to send them now. What do I do?

A reminder: I had patched the game and it still crashed; updated my video driver and it still crashed. Re-installed to a new directory and it still crashed.

Durk

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:30 am

Post the files here via "go advanced" as attachment. While I am not a technical guy, others who frequent the forum are.

Is it always crashing during the execute phase of turn resolution?

cotwell
Private

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:48 am

I attached the log files. The Saved game is larger than the forum rules allow. It crashes at the end of turn resolution. I don;t know what phase that is, but it's when you expect to get control back from the program. It crashes about two years in to the 1755 campaign, and the last couple of times, I couldn't resume the game. (The very first time it crashed, it said there was an error writing some winter texture, but that was oh so many crashes ago now, and before I had updated my video driver.)
Attachments
Logs.rar
(288.12 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

Pocus

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:50 pm

It seems to be an hardware error. Is your computer recent? Can you provide your DirectX Diag file please?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

cotwell
Private

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:54 pm

My computer is less than a year old. Here is the dxdiag output.
Attachments
DxDiag.rar
(6.09 KiB) Downloaded 239 times

Pocus

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 am

This crash seems related to the video driver and how the game put pressure on it (when the map change from winter to non winter or the reverse eg). This sometime happen on Vista/Seven with a video card not supporting fully DirectX 9, for older video cards, or for weird configurations (like running with WINE or with a MAC). That would be the first case for you. I would advise to reduce the max texture size and memory usage in the Options Window, System, to the leftmost check each. If the game seems stable, then crank the settings one notch. If the game is still not stable, you must disable winter images from the same menu. Sorry for the inconvenience.

cotwell
Private

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:51 pm

I will check this, but I have a GTX 680, and DX 11 (see the dxdiag attached to my previous post.) And only the very first crash had to do with texture mapping - that was before I updated the driver. All the multitude of other crashes have happened at the end stage of turn resolution.

Last night I was able to save and load, but then noticed this in my recycle bin (see attached) Is this normal. It looks like a game got deleted, but I didn't delete it!

EDIT: I left a space in that game when I named it. Durk pointed out to me that that might cause problems. I don't think that's my only problem though, because it was crashing before I did this. (and after the driver update.)
Attachments
Recycled.jpg

cotwell
Private

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:28 pm

p.s. I have never changed any of the windowing settings in the little configuration utility - just left everything "as is" Should I be running some other options there?

cotwell
Private

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:07 pm

pps: I am not running any non-standard setup. And I can run more graphics-intensive games with full AA, etc. Still, I will try your suggestion, since the last crash I do remember came in April - so the season textures would be changing. It does make sense in a way, although why this would happen on THIS hardware (a pretty high-end machine) is a bit of a mystery.

Pocus

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:48 am

About recycle bin, yes that's normal, the game phases out the older turns (each turn is saved, even if you don't do it) and keep the last 3.

About crashes, when people get 'out of memory' in the log or something similar, then it generally means that the video driver is not handling fully all the textures we store in the card (they don't get flushed out or only partially). This might very well be because our games are not using Dx10 or 11 and so there can be legacy compatibility problems. It happens in Windows Vista and later, for a few persons, sorry.

There is a plan to move to Dx11 but not before 2014 and only if ACW2 our current project is a success.

Return to “WIA Technical support / Aide technique”