cotwell
Private

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks, Pocus. So far on lower texture settings (1 and 2) it has not crashed. But I haven't had much time to play lately. Still, so far, so good, except that oceans are just solid blue, even bumping the textures up to setting 2, so it looks a bit cheezy.

Pocus

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:35 am

Try to keep all textures then but lower memory (allowed) usage to 25% or 10% and see what it does.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

robphx387
Conscript

Fri May 10, 2013 5:26 am

Ive been playing the demo for a month waiting for my game to get here from england and was impressed with it, having no errors at all, and smooth gameplay. I played through the Pequot war flawlessly, but some 20 turns into the french and indian war I got a CTD twice from the same occurrence, a battle resulting in the total destruction of the defending force W/ a general present. (in this case, just a general being captured by the enemy) so i moved the general and avoided the CTD... however the same type of crash then occurred when i tried to take 2 different towns over the course of the next few turns. I cannot capture, or lose, a town defended by a general/leader without a CTD. This sort of makes the game impossible to play. What can i do? The game is the PCDVD box set of Ageod's military strategies, unmodified, freshly installed yesterday on win 7.

Durk

Fri May 10, 2013 6:31 am

A bit more information would help. It is your new game that is causing the crashes? When you say unmodified, does this mean you have installed no updates and patches?
When you installed, did you install using administrative rights? Finally, when you run the game are you running it as an administrator? Windows 7 does not grant the game enough permission to run without crashes unless run as an administrator.

I would suggest to update to the latest patch. Here http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?26945-WIA-Patch-1-10e-Official-Legacy-November-13-2012
If you have not used administrative rights, try that first.
If this still leaves you crashing, drop another note.

robphx387
Conscript

Fri May 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.

I've installed the full game, no patches, and did not use run as administrator to install or play.

I tried to 'run as administrator' after reading your message, but the savegame file was not found by the game software. running without administrator allows the savegame file to be found using 'resume game' or 'load game' but the problem persists (since im not running administrator.

as far as the patch goes, if i downloaded the patch, would it affect a game already in progress?

Is there a folder i can move the savegame file to where it will recognize when run as administrator or should I just download the patch, run as admin from now on, and write off this savegame. (i'm hoping i wont have to do that, its an interesting scenario where a third of my army was crushed early on, and washington froze/starved to death in ohio. Really wanted to see where that was going)

Do you require more information?

I'm working for the next several hours and wont be able to attempt any solutions to the problem until after 6pm (or i make my page count for the day, whatever comes first)

Thanks again for such a quick response

Durk

Fri May 10, 2013 11:47 pm

My recommendation is to do a full, fresh second install in a different location. WIA defaults to the Program Files (x86). If that is where your game resides, install a fresh copy into your Games folder as an administrator. Then update with the latest patch. Try a game to see if you get the same crash.
Assuming you do not, and you shouldn't, then you can copy your file from one version's saves file to the new one and see if the scenario still plays.

This preserves your game, but let's you see if installing and running as an administrator fixes most issues.

Not addressed is your concern about finding the game when you run as an administrator. More on that in a minute.
Look here http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?26567-Can-t-finde-save

robphx387
Conscript

Sat May 11, 2013 2:15 am

based on that, I'll be uninstalling all the games (after first copying the save folder i found the game in to my desktop) re-installing as admin (if i can figure out how) and placing the directory as the games folder followed by the WIA update (ill worry about the other games patches as i get to them) then drop my save game into the new saves folder. ill let you know how that goes. shouldn't take a half hour

EDIT:

ok, did it, got past the crash i was having, made it to the next turn after re-install as admin and patched in my doc:games folder. (even forgot to hit run as admin to play) and also got my savegame to transfer NP.

my next question is this...

Extract into \WIA\Events
1 file overwritten
1812 Campaign.zip

Do i need that, and if so, when i extract to destination, i overwrite the file already there, correct?

thank you so much, im going to keep playing to see if it happens again but i think you got it for me.

Durk

Sat May 11, 2013 3:38 am

Good news.

If you get the 1812 question when updating, answer yes.
You do overwrite the file. When you play the 1812 scenario you will be glad you did.

cotwell
Private

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:06 pm

I was playing the 1755 campaign with version 1.06c (the one on the backup DVD) I got to Sept. 1763, and then the game hung at end of turn. I got an error message to the effect that the save operation was in use by another process. Would that be related to memory usage?

p.s. it's too bad too. As Britain, I was laying siege to Montreal, and defending Quebec. I think I'm starting to figure it out a bit.

Durk

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:05 am

Let's start with a guess, you are using Windows 7 or 8. If so, run the game as an administrator. These operating systems deny the program a number of save options if you are not running in administrative mode. To do this either right click and select run as admin each time or open properties and change the program to always run as admin. That is my guess.

Updating to latest patch is a good idea, but not likely the cause. http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?26945-WIA-Patch-1-10e-Official-Legacy-November-13-2012

cotwell
Private

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:12 pm

I am running Win7, but I also was running as administrator when the hang occurred.

Durk

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:10 am

I do not have a good idea, I'm afraid. Memory can be an issue. Have you allotted 75% to the game? (Do this from the Options Panel)
Try that.
Update to most recent patch.
And let us know.

cotwell
Private

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:34 am

Durk wrote:I do not have a good idea, I'm afraid. Memory can be an issue. Have you allotted 75% to the game? (Do this from the Options Panel)
Try that.
Update to most recent patch.
And let us know.

I was using 50% memory, upped it to 75% and just got a memory exception error - insufficient memory. Haven't upgraded the version yet. 1,10e was crashing A LOT before. But I have nothing to lose now, so I'll upgrade tomorrow.

Still have never finished a campaign

Durk

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:43 am

Turn of winter textures and sounds as well as update.
See if that works.
You know, these are just experiments for now.

cotwell
Private

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:35 am

Durk wrote:Turn of winter textures and sounds as well as update.
See if that works.
You know, these are just experiments for now.

Thanks. Will do. It's odd though, isn't it? I mean, I have 16 GB and however much video memory a GTX 680 has

cotwell
Private

Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:37 am

Now I cannot resume a game or load a save. I get the message that the file is in use by another process. I have had it with this game. This is ridiculous. I bought four AGEOD games and now I want my money back!

Durk

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:20 am

Well, others might join in to what to do. It is not the AGEOD games, however. They work just fine in so many systems. I appreciate your frustration, but it is just figuring out what is going wrong.
This message you are getting is not a game issue. It is a systems issue. My suggestion, use the control/alt/delete to open the system, then terminate other programs.
Something you have done has told your computer to run another program using your game file exe.
We can PM this issue, but others may have a better Idea.
It is not the games, it is a systems issue. Please to not be mad at the game, your issue is other than the game.

Franciscus

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 am

Hi, cotwell.

The issues you describe usually are caused either by windows UAC or by an antivirus.

Sugestions:
- Turn OFF UAC (first thing I do in Windows since Vista time).
- Install your game NOT in Programs directory (ie, use a specific folder, like C:\Ageod)
- Make sure to exempt all your game' installation folders from your AV.

As to the memory, issues occur even with high-end systems, it has something to do with the way memory gets dumped and interplanetária between RAM and VRAM (the memory of your graphics card)
If you still have issues after the above steps, try memory usage set at 25%.

Hope it helps

Regards

cotwell
Private

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:26 am

I have Win7, and run as administrator. how do I turn of UAC? I see no option in CP...
I use NOD32. I see no option to exempt folders. How do I do that?
game is installed in AGEOD folder

No other programs are running when I start the game. I run it as admin. I tried to save a game, but it didn't save it evidently. I suspect what happened was that the game I tried to load was a leftover from 1.6c. Could that be why I got the error message?

It still doesn't solve the problem if I cannot save a game....

I seem to remember this from when I upgraded to 1.10e before. I couldn't save any games.

Durk

Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi cotwell - I am traveling, sorry for long delay in reply.
UAC is User Account Control, Windows stuff. Google it.
Make a new folder in your Games folder (C:Games) for the game.

By AV Franciscus means Anti-Virus. I just turn mine off for the install, then start again.

This is probably the issue. Try this first, then versions might matter

If you saved under the same name, what you say might be the issue. Start a new game with a new name and see.

cotwell
Private

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:29 pm

I know what AV is. My program has no option to exempt folders. I was asking if anyone had NOD32 and knew about this.

I know what UAC is. I just don't see any way to change the settings in control panel. I run as administrator.

The game is installed in a folder all its own - not program files\blah\blah...

EDIT: never mind. I figured out how to turn UAC off (I think) And I will try re= installing and running with my AV turned off, also.

Return to “WIA Technical support / Aide technique”