markacres
Conscript

PBEM Questions

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:48 pm

Is the manual correct about how PBEM should work - in terms of the trn and ord files? Also, the manual mentions a zip utility included in the game, which I can't find anywhere.

Ubercat
Sergeant

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:16 am

I'm Mark's PBEM opponent and our first game is hitting a wall in that no ord file is being generated when I save the game after entering my orders. I've tried saving both from within the game and after backing out to the main menu. I see text stating that the ord file was created, including the path to the file, but there's never an ord file in the folder. Just the trn file.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

homet
Corporal

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:19 am

Markacres-

The manual properly describes how PBEM should work. One player generally is the host and the other player(s) participate. The host will send the players the appropriate trn and rpl files (no rpl file at start). He will receive back the ord files. At that point, assuming the host has generated his orders for the turn, he can execute the turn and the process begins again.

Alternately, there is a bilateral hosting process where players alternate as hosts that also works quite well for two player games. The process is described in:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?24142-A-method-to-speed-up-your-PBEM-games

Good luck!

homet
Corporal

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:24 am

Unfortunately, I have a Windows XP machine at home. I do have a Window's 7 machine at work and the search features seem much better. Did you try searching for files with the suffix .ord? Maybe it's putting the file in a different directory. Alternately, maybe the OS is hiding the file.

Maybe this post will help?

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?23587-PBEM-issue&highlight=windows+7+pbem

Ubercat
Sergeant

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 am

Thanks. That link led to a link that led to a link that helped me find the file! Windows 7 buried it about 6 layers deep in obscure folders. :confused:

Durk

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:14 am

Now that you have found the folder, make a shortcut on the desktop. That way, you will have easy access.

Pocus

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Ubercat wrote:Thanks. That link led to a link that led to a link that helped me find the file! Windows 7 buried it about 6 layers deep in obscure folders. :confused:

I was going to say that indeed Windows 7 or 8 'likes' to virtualize the folders where your save files. This is their way to tell you they added new features to the O/S :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Ubercat
Sergeant

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:14 pm

It's bizarre that I can save a game in SP and then load it later, (the file shows up when I click load game), but when I save an MP game I have to go searching for the save file in the Windows 7 swamp.

Does the game really distinguish between SP and MP save files? I was under the impression that it looks for an .ord file for each side, and if one isn't present it just has Athena play that side.

Return to “WIA Technical support / Aide technique”