Jim717
Conscript

Game will not start

Wed May 12, 2010 2:40 am

Hadn't played in a couple of weeks, but when I try to start up, now I get an error message:

Exception Exception dans le module WIA.exe dans 0010F00F
Failed to initialise directX audio. DirectX 8 may not be installed

The game always worked before, so I suspect it is a vista update issue. I tried AACW and the same this occurred with that game as well.....

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gray_Lensman

Wed May 12, 2010 2:59 am

deleted

Jim717
Conscript

where to install directX

Wed May 12, 2010 3:18 am

Ok. I downloaded the diectx 9.0 from your link, but it asks me where I want to install it to. I directed it to the windows folder, but it did not help. Should this be installed somewhere else? Thanks again for the help.

Gray_Lensman

Wed May 12, 2010 3:28 am

deleted

Jim717
Conscript

Wed May 12, 2010 3:39 am

I run it, but after after it starts, I agree to the license, then a window comes up with "Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files.", a blank space and a browse box to the right of it. I directed it to the windows folder, but I don't think that was right....it did not change anything.

Sorry to be a pain, but I am not very technically inclined....but I do miss playing this game :(

Jim717
Conscript

Wed May 12, 2010 3:50 am

just tried directing to a folder I created, and when extracted, there is a dxsetup application file. I doubled clicked and ran it, it said it updated components, but still no luck in starting the game.....

Gray_Lensman

Wed May 12, 2010 12:55 pm

deleted

Jim717
Conscript

Wed May 12, 2010 2:10 pm

Still no luck :(

I have also updated my video card driver(Nvidia GTX 260) and sound card driver (Creative SB x-Fi) also. It seems that it is game engine specific, as my other games are running. Napoleon total war for example runs as do other Matrix games, FoG, etc. .....

Same message comes up when I try to start....

Also downloaded RoP demo, and I get the same error...

Gray_Lensman

Thu May 13, 2010 1:22 pm

deleted

lodilefty

Thu May 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:At this point, I'm all out of ideas. :(

Same here :(

I run Vista, and have encountered no issues at all..... [knocks on wood]

Pocus is on a short sabbatical, so we'll need to be patient.

Meanwhile, you could run DxDiag and post the resulting report file here....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Fastsnake
Major

Thu May 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Is BOA II particularly hard to run well?
I mean, with my graphics freezing problem, I just can't even launch or load a party reasonably well from now. :confused:

Carnium

Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 pm

What is your sound card Jim717?
Try updating it with Vista compatible drivers.

lodilefty

Thu May 13, 2010 3:12 pm

Fastsnake wrote:Is BOA II particularly hard to run well?
I mean, with my graphics freezing problem, I just can't even launch or load a party reasonably well from now. :confused:

IMHO, not a difficult game to get to run.

I run all AGE games and even WW1 on my laptop, with what was once dissed as a "not serious gamer's computer" :blink:

I run Vista, and a lot of serious strategy games (not FPS or RTS as I hate those :neener :)

My laptop specs (for comparison):
  • Operating System Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
  • Service Pack 2
  • On - Spybot - Search and Destroy
  • On - Windows Defender
  • On - avast! antivirus
  • Physically Attached Storage Capacity
    [INDENT]
  • C: 221 GB
  • D: 10 GB[/INDENT]
  • Total Physical RAM Installed 3 GB
    [INDENT]
  • RAM Currently Used 60.67%
  • Maximum Supported 4 GB[/INDENT]
  • Sound:Intel(R) High Definition Audio HDMI
  • Display:Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Thu May 13, 2010 3:33 pm

deleted

Jim717
Conscript

Thu May 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Well....still searching for answers. I have checked microsoft's tech forums and have a few ideas. I have three possibilities that I will be looking into. 1. A problem with my sound card. Even though I have updated the drivers, I am told that it is possible that all the old drivers or registry entries may not be removed and could pose a problem. I am using a Creative soundblaster X-Fi gamer extreme, and it seems that creative is known for issues. 2. somehow there is still a problem with directx. My antivirus program inadvertently deleted a needed file somewhere. I was using McAffe and again it seems that there are some known issues.

So....I will first attempt a different sound card to see if that is the problem, then proceed to do so re-installs and if worse comes to worse, I am considering a re-format of the hard drive. I do not intend to give up, as I know this worked before.

Hopefully I can discover something that will be helpful to others along the way. I will post any answers that I find. Thanks to all that are attempting to solve this with me.

Gray_Lensman

Thu May 13, 2010 5:07 pm

deleted

Jim717
Conscript

Sun May 16, 2010 12:31 am

Well....never did figure out the problem.....but.....I did a reformat of the hard drive and reinstall of Vista and all drivers and it is up and running. So, I am happily back in action!

Carnium

Sun May 16, 2010 1:56 pm

Jim717 wrote:Well....never did figure out the problem.....but.....I did a reformat of the hard drive and reinstall of Vista and all drivers and it is up and running. So, I am happily back in action!

Glad to hear that :thumbsup:
Enjoy the game(s) now ;)

jennison
Sergeant

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:06 pm

I know this problem was resolved, but just to help out anyone that might run into this in the future, I had the same exact error with Win7. Turns out that I didn't have a service started. For some reason, my Windows Audio EndPoint Builder service was stopped. I started the service, made sure my audio drivers were the latest, and AACW started right up. :thumbsup:

eleven_west
Corporal

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Ok I had the same problem today - and guess what it was simple : My laptop speakers were disabled (I do that when I connect my HDMI cable to my TV to get sound correctly) once I enabled them the game started. It's definitely sound related, this worked for me but may be something else for others

Return to “WIA Technical support / Aide technique”