Carnium

1812 campaign errors/mistakes

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:44 pm

While playing the 1812 campaign as the USA I got an error with the usual mesage "an error has occured and the file will be sent to ...".
Checked the main log and it says
[Error ] Errors found in script: 1 Check E:\igre\Wars in America\WIA\Scripts\ScriptReport.txt

So here is my script report.
Btw .. are the errors realy auto sent to the developers when they occur ?
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Pocus

Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Yes, we get mails to support@ageod.com when you send a mail. We strive to answer all of them, at least with a "we got your mail and we will check the issue soon".
With this new reporting feature, we already fixed some events problems.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Carnium

Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:21 pm

Could you please check if you have got my mail as I am quite sure that nothing was auto-sent (using Thunderbird).
Just got another error/mistake in the same campaign. DeRottenburg twins :
ImageImage

Carnium

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:49 pm

Well it seems that the bad luck is preventing me from playing this scenario as I have resumed my old save game and the game crashed completely with an critical error message in June 1815 :p leure:
There seems to be some nasty things in my !Main log file (attached). To my surprise there were no errors in the ScriptReport.
Here is my saved game http://www.files.to/get/347851/0j2ptvv6rl

A couple of additional questions
- British invasion fleet has never ever (played 3 times) landed in New Orleans but they go to Newark - New York instead. Is this WAD ? If it is then there is no need to have new troops raised in New Orleans if there is no invasion there :tournepas
- AI loves to lay sieges during the winter with terrible results. Any chances to remove this "feature" ?
- any chances to make news about new units or privateers clickable as it is really time consuming to hunt down the new units/ships ?
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

lodilefty

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:53 am

Carnium wrote:Well it seems that the bad luck is preventing me from playing this scenario as I have resumed my old save game and the game crashed completely with an critical error message in June 1815 :p leure:
There seems to be some nasty things in my !Main log file (attached). To my surprise there were no errors in the ScriptReport.

- British invasion fleet has never ever (played 3 times) landed in New Orleans but they go to Newark - New York instead. Is this WAD ? If it is then there is no need to have new troops raised in New Orleans if there is no invasion there :tournepas
- AI loves to lay sieges during the winter with terrible results. Any chances to remove this "feature" ?
- any chances to make news about new units or privateers clickable as it is really time consuming to hunt down the new units/ships ?

I'll look at it, but those kinds of errors are usually beyond my meager skills. :(

Which British Fleet? Do you mean the AI sends the Royal Expedition to NY in late 1814? ...or that it appears there?

AI features require "Invole Pocus" spell. We'll add it to his list ;)
I'll look at the privateers events :)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

lodilefty

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:39 am

Carnium wrote:Well it seems that the bad luck is preventing me from playing this scenario as I have resumed my old save game and the game crashed completely with an critical error message in June 1815 :p leure:

Um, no error when I ran it...
I've seen this occasionally after a long session. Something I call 'Stack Overflow' [from my old DOS days :o ]

Reload and retry? [Attached Victory screen :) ]

I think we'll look at adding Objectives to tis Campaign: New Orleans and maybe Charleston... Make the south more attractive to British AI...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Carnium

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:54 am

lodilefty wrote:Um, no error when I ran it...
I've seen this occasionally after a long session. Something I call 'Stack Overflow' [from my old DOS days :o ]

Reload and retry? [Attached Victory screen :) ]

I think we'll look at adding Objectives to tis Campaign: New Orleans and maybe Charleston... Make the south more attractive to British AI...Which British Fleet? Do you mean the AI sends the Royal Expedition to NY in late 1814? ...or that it appears there?

Strange .. restored the previous turn and it did not crash again. No idea why it crashed in the first time :bonk:

British fleet under Cochrane with Pakenhams army on board that appears near New Orleans usually goes all the way up to Newmark and then tries to reach New York.
Probably has something to do with objectives as you already said.

Carnium

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:57 am

I felt like playing this scenario with the latest patch and it really makes a difference.

However some things that are still bothering me :
- The assault on New Orleans event still does not play correctly as it seems that the British fleet is picking other objectives instead of New Orleans.
- it seems that the American player is favourite to win this scenario by points as the British AI is not aggressive enough with the units from Eastern Canada. They usually just sit and wait (are they locked in Canada, haven't checked :bonk :) . It would be more interesting if they would actually attack with all these huge armies and make a push towards Washington D.C.

The best news is that there were no errors or crashes any more :thumbsup:

lodilefty

Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:45 pm

Carnium wrote:I felt like playing this scenario with the latest patch and it really makes a difference.

- The assault on New Orleans event still does not play correctly as it seems that the British fleet is picking other objectives instead of New Orleans.
- it seems that the American player is favourite to win this scenario by points as the British AI is not aggressive enough with the units from Eastern Canada. They usually just sit and wait (are they locked in Canada, haven't checked :bonk :) . It would be more interesting if they would actually attack with all these huge armies and make a push towards Washington D.C.

We can take a look at boosting the AI for 'next patch cycle'
We had problems with NO amphib in the 1815 scenario, too. Will look at that too.
Privateers 'location' needs a look. For now, I find them by using "Y" to cycle through ships.

Thanks for the feedback :D
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Siekster
Sergeant

Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:37 pm

Carnium wrote:I felt like playing this scenario with the latest patch and it really makes a difference.

Can't blame them really.... assaulting a well garrisoned city in the middle of the swamp.... not my idea of an easy target!! I'll take that force and go elsewhere thank you!!! Of course, one loses a little of the historical flavour, but hey! That's what the game is about!
"You underestimate my powers!!!"

-Anakin Skywalker, moments before jumping and having three of his extremities hacked off by a lightsaber...

Carnium

Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:13 pm

lodilefty wrote:We can take a look at boosting the AI for 'next patch cycle'
We had problems with NO amphib in the 1815 scenario, too. Will look at that too.
Privateers 'location' needs a look. For now, I find them by using "Y" to cycle through ships.

Thanks for the feedback :D

Excellent Lodi !
About naval warfare. Are the Ships actually blockading ports in this game? Haven't actually seen them doing it.
Also please look at the location of the new supply wagons.
And pretty please for the total casualties report :neener:

Siekster wrote:Can't blame them really.... assaulting a well garrisoned city in the middle of the swamp.... not my idea of an easy target!! I'll take that force and go elsewhere thank you!!! Of course, one loses a little of the historical flavour, but hey! That's what the game is about!

So true .. BUUUT... then the historically scripted event could/should be removed.
It makes no sense that you get the news that the British fleet is about to attack New Orleans and that a new army is mustered to resist them. And then the invasion fleet sails away :wacko:

Historically this invasion fleet only task was to invade New Orleans (after the war was over) :D

lodilefty

Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Carnium wrote:Excellent Lodi !
About naval warfare. Are the Ships actually blockading ports in this game? Haven't actually seen them doing it.
Also please look at the location of the new supply wagons.
And pretty please for the total casualties report :neener:

So true .. BUUUT... then the historically scripted event could/should be removed.
It makes no sense that you get the news that the British fleet is about to attack New Orleans and that a new army is mustered to resist them. And then the invasion fleet sails away :wacko:

Historically this invasion fleet only task was to invade New Orleans (after the war was over) :D

The solution used for 1815 could be applied:
If GBR = human, fleet appears as it does now.
If GBR = AI, the troops appear already landed 'down river', with the fleet offshore.

We'll try other things first.

As for blockades: hmm, have to investigate...
  • There should be a reduction in the 'quantity of ships needed' in the tooltip for a water region
  • Many ports have multiple entry/exit points. All need full blockade [ seen by water region tooltip] to have effect.
  • Need to then see if there is reduction in supply to the port.
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Carnium

Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm

lodilefty wrote:The solution used for 1815 could be applied:
If GBR = human, fleet appears as it does now.
If GBR = AI, the troops appear already landed 'down river', with the fleet offshore.

That is a great idea and I am pretty sure it would work for in this scenario and all others that need naval landings.

Anyway, can a naval force be programmed/scripted to have a certain spot to unload the troops ?
If I understand correctly the unloaded troops will then "search" for the best target/objective to occupy and hold.

lodilefty

Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:54 pm

Carnium wrote:That is a great idea and I am pretty sure it would work for in this scenario and all others that need naval landings.

Anyway, can a naval force be programmed/scripted to have a certain spot to unload the troops ?
If I understand correctly the unloaded troops will then "search" for the best target/objective to occupy and hold.

AFAIK, there is no way to script an 'unload', other than arrival in a port, and even that is not 100% certain...

We'll try to use the AI.Interest command to drive amphib before resorting to the forced landing answer....
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Carnium

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:58 pm

Here is a little report from the other (British) side, playing with the default rules with a minor detection bonus for the AI.

British land reinforcements actually appear in Quebec, although you get the message that they will in Halifax. Naval units appear properly in Halifax.

Why is Cap Breton (sea ?) a controlled objective and how do you actually control it ? Halifax would be a more logical choice ;)

Tecumseh and his war band is not visible/shown on the mini map.

US army never really attacked Upper and Lower Canada as it should historically. Maybe I should have use more aggressive AI settings ?

The AI still loves to leave large stacks middle of nowhere during the winter doing nothing except losing strength because of the weather effect.
Here is a picture of US troops enjoying in the snowy forest and waiting to be eliminated by the British army.

Clovis

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Carnium wrote:Here is a little report from the other (British) side, playing with the default rules with a minor detection bonus for the AI.

British land reinforcements actually appear in Quebec, although you get the message that they will in Halifax. Naval units appear properly in Halifax.

Why is Cap Breton (sea ?) a controlled objective and how do you actually control it ? Halifax would be a more logical choice ;)

Tecumseh and his war band is not visible/shown on the mini map.

US army never attacked the are near Quebec as it should historically. Maybe I should have use more aggressive AI settings ?

The AI still loves to leave large stacks middle of nowhere during the winter doing nothing except losing strength because of the weather effect.
Here is a picture of US troops enjoying in the snowy forest and waiting to be eliminated by the British army.

I suppose it should be necessary to give more weight in AI choices to resupplying missions.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

arsan

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Are you playing the 1.04 beta?
From my experience AI has got much more winter friendly with it.
Regards!

Siekster
Sergeant

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:55 pm

I addition, it may not have been the AI's intention to be stuck in the wilderness in the middle of winter. The American generals are famous for low strategic ratings in this war, resulting in failures to activate at times. He may have had an activation failure on his multi-month march up north.... I know it's happened to me plenty of times....

-Anakin Skywalker, moments before jumping and having three of his extremities hacked off by a lightsaber...

Carnium

Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:07 am

arsan wrote:Are you playing the 1.04 beta?
From my experience AI has got much more winter friendly with it.
Regards!

Yes this is with 1.04 beta.
Regards!

Siekster wrote:I addition, it may not have been the AI's intention to be stuck in the wilderness in the middle of winter. The American generals are famous for low strategic ratings in this war, resulting in failures to activate at times. He may have had an activation failure on his multi-month march up north.... I know it's happened to me plenty of times....

Hmm, yes that would explain this behaviour and similar ones.
But how could we prevent the AI from doing that too often ?

arsan

Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:19 am

Do you play with hardened activation?
That woudl make stacks become locked when unactivated. Pretty nasty on winter, specially for for the AI.
Still, with normal activation an stack with an inactive leader surprised by snow on wilderness terrain can need a couple of turns to get back to the nearest settlement :bonk:
You can give some activation bonus to the AI and/or play with standard activation to help her.

Siekster
Sergeant

Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:44 am

Carnium wrote:Yes this is with 1.04 beta.
Regards!

Hmm, yes that would explain this behaviour and similar ones.
But how could we prevent the AI from doing that too often ?

I'm not sure, seeing how it happens to me too!! I think I allow myself enough time for a campaign before winter, and a couple of months of no activation, and my army is toast. I had a pretty sweet looking stack of Burgoyne's on the march back to Oswego from Fort Stanwyx decimated,and I mean decimated, by winter in Oneida..... time and unforseen cirumstances!!

I feel that the AI is doing remarkable better in this regard... in my game vs. the Colonials in the War for Independence, I haven't witnessed any problems yet.... of course, the American generals seemed to have taken a nose dive in the war of 1812 :wacko:

Carnium

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:07 am

arsan wrote:Do you play with hardened activation?
That woudl make stacks become locked when unactivated. Pretty nasty on winter, specially for for the AI.
Still, with normal activation an stack with an inactive leader surprised by snow on wilderness terrain can need a couple of turns to get back to the nearest settlement :bonk:
You can give some activation bonus to the AI and/or play with standard activation to help her.

I am playing with the "penalties for unactivated leaders" rule as the AI had huge problems when I was using the "unactivated leaders cant move" rule.
Activation bonuses didn't do much in my two tests (playing as the British and Americans).

Siekster wrote:I'm not sure, seeing how it happens to me too!! I think I allow myself enough time for a campaign before winter, and a couple of months of no activation, and my army is toast. I had a pretty sweet looking stack of Burgoyne's on the march back to Oswego from Fort Stanwyx decimated,and I mean decimated, by winter in Oneida..... time and unforseen cirumstances!!

I feel that the AI is doing remarkable better in this regard... in my game vs. the Colonials in the War for Independence, I haven't witnessed any problems yet.... of course, the American generals seemed to have taken a nose dive in the war of 1812 :wacko:

I am pretty much using the (supposed) German strategy in Russia during WW2 in all the AGEOD games - offensive till late autumn-winter and strictly defensive during winter. It works remarkable well :thumbsup:

Havent played the War of Independance with the latest patch yet as I prefer smaller scenarios to test the AI before I go to the "real" thing :D

Carnium

Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:17 am

After finishing the scenario as the British here are a few new things :
- Great Stock Exchange Fraud event fires twice.If you click on it, one points correctly to London and the other on Fort Ticonderoga
- as already mentioned the US is too passive as it can easily win by points simply doing .. nothing but defending its objectives. One the other hand the AI does a great job defending and I lost the campaign by cca. 100 point margin :w00t:
- the British have a lot of engagement points and large armies, but have quite a hard time transporting those reinforcements from Quebec to the front down south.Would it be all right to give the British player the chance to buy transport ships on a more regular basis (except winter) ?
- is it just me or cant the Indians take or destroy a structure in this scenario ?
- any chance to have the "give weapons to Indians" in this scenario too?
- US ships for no apparent reason seems to like to sail to London (?) in the early phases of the game. Havent seen them doing that afterwards ... maybe because I sank most of them :D

lodilefty

Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:34 pm

Carnium wrote:After finishing the scenario as the British here are a few new things :
- Great Stock Exchange Fraud event fires twice.If you click on it, one points correctly to London and the other on Fort Ticonderoga
- as already mentioned the US is too passive as it can easily win by points simply doing .. nothing but defending its objectives. One the other hand the AI does a great job defending and I lost the campaign by cca. 100 point margin :w00t:
- the British have a lot of engagement points and large armies, but have quite a hard time transporting those reinforcements from Quebec to the front down south.Would it be all right to give the British player the chance to buy transport ships on a more regular basis (except winter) ?
- is it just me or cant the Indians take or destroy a structure in this scenario ?
- any chance to have the "give weapons to Indians" in this scenario too?
- US ships for no apparent reason seems to like to sail to London (?) in the early phases of the game. Havent seen them doing that afterwards ... maybe because I sank most of them :D

Good feedback! Thank you! :thumbsup:
1. Will check and correct stock exchange event
2. That's what US wanted = to be left alone! But game balance deserves a look :)
3. Good idea. Will look at more transports
4. Indians never can take city structures unless Loyalty Rule is "on" [but Loyalty is only used for AWI series], but will review the "scorched earth' settings for forts and depots
5. Will look at "more weapons for indians" option
6. London is the capital, AI has a high imperative to blockade or capture the enemy capital. Needs a "Hocus Pocus" review to see. Or set London to blockstate and redefine any reinforcements arriving there...

Thank you. The upcoming patch may not contain all these ideas, but if not, we will post an 'interim update' when ready and beta tested. :)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Carnium

Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:00 pm

lodilefty wrote:Thank you. The upcoming patch may not contain all these ideas, but if not, we will post an 'interim update' when ready and beta tested. :)

Well thank you.It was my pleasure to actually play some AGEOD games that I bought.Do you need such reviews for any other scenarios too ?
Looking forward to play the patched/fixed/improved 1812 scenario in the distant future :thumbsup:

lodilefty

Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Carnium wrote:Well thank you.It was my pleasure to actually play some AGEOD games that I bought.Do you need such reviews for any other scenarios too ?
Looking forward to play the patched/fixed/improved 1812 scenario in the distant future :thumbsup:

Hopefully not so distant future ;)

I'd love feedback on '1791 Fallen Timbers' :D

Follow up:
1812 already has 'guns for natives' in GBR options.
Is it working?
Did you mean add it for USA?
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Carnium

Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:32 pm

lodilefty wrote:Hopefully not so distant future ;)

I'd love feedback on '1791 Fallen Timbers' :D

Follow up:
1812 already has 'guns for natives' in GBR options.
Is it working?
Did you mean add it for USA?

Interesting... 1791 Fallen Timbers is the scenario I started yesterday as the natives (if thats the one with the Natives vs US after the AWI).

Haven't seen any guns for natives in GBR options tho. Strange....

2. That's what US wanted = to be left alone! But game balance deserves a look

But didn't USA invade Canada first.So that means that they did have some objectives and were on offensive first.But I am no expert on this ...

lodilefty

Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:06 pm

OK, I'll look at the guns for natives option.
Wierd, it works in 1775 :blink:

[color="Blue"]Edit: It's there, and works. Of course, I'm running the pre-beta-pre-release-semi-official version :blink:

[sometimes options get pushed to the second page. Be sure to press F3 or F4 twice to get page two][/color]

Yes, US invaded Canada. I meant overall, USA really didn't want a war, just wanted big bully to stop impressing US citizens into Royal Navy...

...or so the history is written ;)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Carnium

Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:44 pm

lodilefty wrote:OK, I'll look at the guns for natives option.
Wierd, it works in 1775 :blink:

[color="Blue"]Edit: It's there, and works. Of course, I'm running the pre-beta-pre-release-semi-official version :blink:

[sometimes options get pushed to the second page. Be sure to press F3 or F4 twice to get page two][/color]

Re-installed the whole game and patched to 1.4 again and ... they are really there :bonk:
Sorry for the mistake :(

Siekster
Sergeant

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:51 am

I've only gotten to play the 1812 scenario once as the US side in a PBEM game. I was playing CristoFire, and by the time we were almost done, New York City, Fort Niagara and possibly Washington (we stopped when the 1.03 patch was released) were in British hands. Pretty embarrasing. Now, it could have been my lack of skill, but i got the feeling that the American Generals were not on par with their British counterparts. The American forces were also pretty fragmented, so if you wanted an army equivalent to the Brits invasion stacks, you had to pool them all together, leaving other areas exposed.

I admit, the big head start in VP's helped out a lot, but I think the Americans were fine as they were, considering their weaknesses. (The war was about maximizing your own side's strengths, which I failed to do.)

When deciding how to balance a scenario, the PBEM factor has to be weighed....

Return to “Help to improve WIA”