James D Burns

2 issues with the game

Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:13 am

I'm playing the 1775-1783 campaign as the Continentals and have two issues with the game that have cropped up so far.

I've been losing 1 NM every turn with my continentals, and I cannot figure out why. I don't get any text messages explaining the loss and I have over 20 strategic towns, so that part of the objectives list is complete (at least until the British start clearing the map), so that isn't the culprit.

I’m down into the 80’s now and will lose the game pretty fast once the British arrive in strength and start grabbing objective and strategic cities from me. There is no way I can win a NM affecting battle every turn to balance the loss, so what am I to do?

If I can’t prevent the 1 NM per turn loss, how am I supposed to last for 100 turns when auto-victory/loss will trigger as soon as my morale hits 49? By my estimate the Continentals will lose the game every time about 30 turns or so in because of this monthly loss.

I also want to complain about the damage my ships take for simply moving across the map in good weather. This was a problem with the original AACW game that was addressed, but it appears to have crept back in.

I moved a blockade runner to an off map box and both of its ship elements were practically destroyed upon arrival to the box. One was ¾ red the other was 1/2 red, but no battles were fought. It took one turn to arrive and the weather in the sea zones traversed was good.

If there were a report about why the damage was taken, then I’d say ok fair enough, but no report is generated so I suspect ships are being treated like land units when they move and lose strength and cohesion due to the land unit movement attrition rules. So right now as things stand, my ships are pretty worthless if I try and move them out of port.

Jim

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:40 am

I have posted the same problem in another thread. Ships take a lot of damage just by moving in normal weather.

Pocus

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:07 am

We will take a look at that, thanks for the report.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PhilThib

Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:50 am

This is an attrition handling matter that also affects land units. We are currently checking it today.

As for the NM loss, we'll start investigations as well :indien:

Pocus

Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:45 am

James, if you have a saved game showing this loss of NM, with the previous turn of it (named backup1), this can hasten the process. Thanks for the reprot!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

James D Burns

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:19 pm

Pocus wrote:James, if you have a saved game showing this loss of NM, with the previous turn of it (named backup1), this can hasten the process. Thanks for the reprot!

Sorry Pocus no saves of the games in question to send. I deleted both saves after experiencing hard crashes during play. Reports were sent through the automated feature that mails them to support, and I received emails today stating the crashes were identified and being fixed.

As to the 1 NM per turn reduction, it happens for both sides (only looked at revolutionary scenario so far, I haven’t checked other scenarios yet). Every turn the NM drops by one, so it appears to be a global issue. I can start a game and do a few turns and send that if you wish, but I’d think it happens for everyone, so a save game shouldn’t be needed to see the behavior.

If you want me to do a couple turns on a new game and send that, let me know and I’ll send something, but right now I have no current saved game going due to the crash problems I’ve experienced. I was going to await the next patch before playing again.

Jim

Return to “Help to improve WIA”