Ebbingford

Observations from an AWI pbem

Wed May 20, 2015 8:42 am

I am playing as the British, Baris as the rebels.
The options to influence France that the British get to try and keep them out of the war come as freebies. I think they are meant to cost 20EP, I have had the option appear twice and neither time did the cost of EPs get subtracted from my total. (Sorry no save available, first time I wasn't sure, second time I forgot when it was......)
The two regions of Black Swamp ID465 and Blackmingo ID466 are both shown as having roads on them but the tooltip for each region says only track.
What looks like a major problem for the USA is the upgrading of all troops to light infantry. This can't be WAD can it? Baris has ended up with a stack under Washington which is mainly light infantry, no good in clear terrain against my redcoats. He gets very few replacements for these during the game but has several elite replacements which are now useless....
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

arsan

Sun May 24, 2015 10:04 am

Hi Ebbingford!

I recently played a full AWI PBEM game as american with the latest WIA version (1.10e+quickfix) and didn't have the replacements problem you post about. Maybe you or your rival are not using the last patches?

American continental elements can be light, standard or trained infantry.
About half the continental units have 1 or 2 light elements, being the rest standard relements (until you train them). The other half are full standard infantry elements.
There are also some full light infantry units, but very few, maybe 3 o 4 units on all the campaign.

When they are trained, standard continental elements upgrade to trained infantry (red facings instead of yellow facings). Light infantry elements don't upgrade.

But in the nearly 100 turns we played i never saw a regular element being trained to light infantry.

IMHO, the upgrading system works pretty well. My only gripe is that elite replacements (used by trained continentals, the ones with red facings) are very scarce. Because of that, sometimes is better to not train all your yellow facings standard continentals, as you may have problems recovering destroyed elements.

Regards!

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun May 24, 2015 3:15 pm

Hi Arsan,

It is the latest qucikfix we're using. While staying idle Continental Army in Boston and Norfolk had elite free reinforcements and eventually they have trained to light infantry over a time. Half of the CA have full unit light elements in a stack. I didn't check if gaining experience points will also create auto upgrade situation. But dilemma for USA either not to stay in the region so long or micromanage trainers every turn. Upgrade path to light inf seems to effect badly in the long game.

I did use AFAIK 1 time elite replacements option but USA have more elite replacements than light in our game.

arsan

Tue May 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Hi Baris!

Sorry, i missed your reply until now! :bonk:

Honestly i don't understand what happens on your game. My experience with this scenario is completely different!

On my recent PBEM game, as american my training officers didn't train line infantry to light infantry at all.
They trained milita --> Line infantry continentals (yellow facings)--> line infantry trained continentals (red facings).
You can also train riflemen --> elite riflemen
For what i recall from games played years ago, this is how it has always worked.

Gaining experience "stars" don't trigger any upgrade in units. You can have militia elements with 4 or 5 experience stars and they will never become continentals unless you train them with your leaders or use one of the EP options.

Just checked and we used the latest game version: 1.10e QF2.
We played the 1775 scenario, in case this mattered.

Regards!

Ebbingford

Wed May 27, 2015 8:47 am

We were on same version and same scenario......
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Durk

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:59 am

I am not a technical expert, but my experience with this scenario is like arsan's. Odd?

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:57 am

The model file for USA trained infantry says that they 'tech' upgrade to light infantry.

This may happen by using the EP option 'pay raise for regulars.' The tool-tip for the option says that they have a 60% chance to upgrade to light infantry after one year.

There may be other ways units tech upgrade, I'm not sure, but it is different than normal training upgrades.

Return to “Help to improve WIA”