captain curruthers
Sergeant

replacements

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:21 pm

i would like to see replacements only going to unfixed units.its very frustrating to see the few replacements you get being assigned to locked static units like garrisons when there are line units screaming out for them. :(

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Frustrating, but maybe realistic? It's usually the units actually doing the fighting which are most undermanned. See, all these replacements coming up from the rear are eagerly appropriated by all those rear area commanders for their local units, leaving the front line units the leavings, if any ... also not easy to absorb replacements while on combat duty.

Pull a fought-out unit out of the fighting and set it on "passive" and it should receive replacements I think? :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

lodilefty

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:15 pm

captain curruthers wrote:i would like to see replacements only going to unfixed units.its very frustrating to see the few replacements you get being assigned to locked static units like garrisons when there are line units screaming out for them. :(

Ah yes, war....

The Rear Echelon always gets the good stuff ;)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

captain curruthers
Sergeant

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:20 pm

i have been puling units in desperate need 'out of the line' and putting them in cities.replacements still tend to go to the static units.

not sure about this period but only a few years later the british were raising replacements on a regimental basis.eg:- 51st foot would raise replacements for the 51st foot.british regiments were 2 battalion minimum strength with one of those battalions being a recruiting unit for the front line battalion(s).

under this system frontline units would often be under strength especially after major battles but would always receive drafts from the recruiting battalion based in GB ;) the major deciding factor would be the delay involved in shipping out those replacements.

lodilefty

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:22 pm

captain curruthers wrote:i have been puling units in desperate need 'out of the line' and putting them in cities.replacements still tend to go to the static units.

not sure about this period but only a few years later the british were raising replacements on a regimental basis.eg:- 51st foot would raise replacements for the 51st foot.british regiments were 2 battalion minimum strength with one of those battalions being a recruiting unit for the front line battalion(s).

under this system frontline units would often be under strength especially after major battles but would always receive drafts from the recruiting battalion based in GB ;) the major deciding factor would be the delay involved in shipping out those replacements.

This would be a huge-mongous code change, so it won't happen right away ;)

The Colonial Faction variants were a starting attempt to get replacements to the right place. :D

We'd need a separate family for garrisons, etc etc.... messy, but....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

FLS

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:51 am

captain curruthers wrote:i would like to see replacements only going to unfixed units.its very frustrating to see the few replacements you get being assigned to locked static units like garrisons when there are line units screaming out for them. :(

+1

I don't use the option "More replacements" as they always go to non playable units. Only from time to time and on a very rare basis (out-of-the line, passive mode, don't move for 1-3 months) would a regiment receive replacement.

the availability to choose the recipient of replacements would be a MAJOR improvement, I believe ;)

Ebbingford

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:22 pm

Why don't you make sure that only the unit that you want to receive replacements is in passive stance, this will then take any replacements going. (As long as you're in a region with a town and depot if playing with hardened attrition on.) ;)

captain curruthers
Sergeant

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Why don't you make sure that only the unit that you want to receive replacements is in passive stance, this will then take any replacements going. (As long as you're in a region with a town and depot if playing with hardened attrition on.)

unfortunatly that isnt the case.ive had units in cities on passive stance and replacements STILL go to locked garrison units :(

lodilefty

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:50 pm

captain curruthers wrote:unfortunatly that isnt the case.ive had units in cities on passive stance and replacements STILL go to locked garrison units :(

Are you playing advanced attrition?

...or maybe the 'passive priority' isn't working properly :(
[CENTER][/CENTER]

squarian
Brigadier General

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:11 pm

For the record, I frequently have trouble getting units to receive replacements (or for that matter, getting damaged elements to recover). Many turns will usually be required (3-6, typically) before replacements or recovered strength. My understanding of the rules is that units receive replacement elements randomly, the only criteria being

• to receive a replacement element, one must be available in the pool
  • the stack must be at 100% supply (not sure if this also applies to ammo)
  • passive stance increases the chance of a replacement by some unstated percentage
  • if playing with "historical attrition" on, unit must be in region with depot

captain curruthers
Sergeant

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:53 pm

Are you playing advanced attrition

im playing with all settings at normal(default) ;)

lodilefty

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:59 pm

captain curruthers wrote:im playing with all settings at normal(default) ;)

With hardened attrition on, you can only get replacements at a Depot. Thus many [but not all] locked garrison units can't get them.....
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Ebbingford

Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:15 pm

...or maybe the 'passive priority' isn't working properly :(

This might be the case as I've noticed the same thing might be happening elsewhere. ;)
It always used to work with hardened attrition for WIA, you could pick which unit you want the replacement to go. Might need investigating. :sherlock:

Return to “Help to improve WIA”