Pocus

BOA2 - Feature focus : #10 Play, then play, then replay

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Dear players,

Here is the new feature of the day. BOA2 features a full replay module! The time where you wondered how your sneaky PBEM opponent (or the AI) managed to act so mischievously without you being able to know where the threat came from is OVER!

The game now generates a replay file for each side each turn. You can access it either from the main menu or from a button on the main interface of the current game.

One of the added cool features is that replay files can be exchanged or given to others players... You can even store them in your 'library of famous moves' to mock your puny opponent! (Remember when I pulled that double encirclement of Charleston while disembarking from a fleet that just blew past you, George?)

The replay buttons allow you to view each day step by step, a continuous forward replay, a backward replay, and many others neat things to help you understand how each move happened... Definitively a must have for serious gamers!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:41 pm

THIS is unbelievable. Especially that it can be controlled. :cwboy:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Pocus

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:57 pm

I forgot to say that you can view the map positions of your choice during replay (as expected).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jabberwock

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:12 pm

Are you trying to make AARs obsolete? :innocent:

"And then on turn 12 I decided ... heck, here's a replay."
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:18 pm

Jabberwock wrote:Are you trying to make AARs obsolete?

LOL

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:23 pm

Depending on the file size, this could instead support AAR's quite nicely. The replay in itself doesn't tell much about the strategy and intentions, but it may illustrate a report more clearly than a static map snapshot (and be easier to produce).

Of course you would have to launch the game, while a map can just be looked at ... hm. :innocent:

I see it comes down to a faster computer so that the game doesn't take two minutes to load. :indien:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)

[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]

American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Lafrite

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Jabberwock wrote:Are you trying to make AARs obsolete? :innocent:

Good idea, next move will be to convert this replay in a flash movie :nuts:

GShock

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Finally a smart move that goes ahead of the normal smart moves. YES this can be the BEST AAR tool EVER.

...the long wait continues...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Fouche
Captain

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:38 pm

I wonder if this could be added to the games Napoleon's Campaign and the American Civil War... :siffle:
On the other hand maybe not...depends upon the engine...and changes that would have to be done...anyway.
Glad to hear that BOA2 will have this feature.... :niark:

FM WarB
Colonel

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:48 pm

There goes one of my inhibitions about producing AARs: the amount of time it takes to produce them.

I do have another inibition, though: Reluctance to provide insight into the mind of a great commander!....LoL...or embarassment at incompetance revealed

boudi

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:49 pm

This feature will be added in AACW or not ?

EDIT : Oups sorry, question allready asked...

CristoFire-Ice
Brigadier General

Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:31 pm

Pocus wrote:Dear players,

Here is the new feature of the day. BOA2 features a full replay module!

At last!!! Bravo.
I can't wait!!
[color="DarkOrange"]"- Il est à vous ce boulet?" [/color]:grr:

Clovis

Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:34 pm

:coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:

Ageod for ever

:coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Hok
General

Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:47 pm

I'll just say that it wasn't the easiest module to create :tournepas .

Celtic and Pocus have done a great job !

wryun
Sergeant

Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:38 pm

This certainly makes it tempting...

MarkShot

Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:14 am

Actually, if you provide a player a means to annotate the file with text subcaptions ... it could handle AARs.

Then, of course if you allow some actually editting of viewpoint, filter, and perspective ... you would have the ultimate tool.

A while ago, MPS (Microprose) had a flight recorder for PAW (Pacific Air War). However, it was more than just a replay viewer, you could film edit the files and really boost the dramatic content.

This sounds like a great tool for battle analysis, but doesn't yet sound like it is ready to replace a well written and documented AAR by a player.

GShock

Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:59 am

But it's still possible to tweak it in the future. The basic color palette, text box adding and pause to add the notations to the vid when the player says so and we got the AAR tool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

Fatboy
Sergeant

Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:27 am

Forget the AARs! I will be using the replay to figure out what stack passed by my scouts mid way thru the turn & disappeared into the woods. :coeurs:

FM WarB
Colonel

Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:52 pm

This may be a good in game feature, but for those, such as myself who like to look at AARs before purchase, it won't be much help.

Rafiki

Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:35 am

This is a feature that has been especially requested by PBEM players, in order to nullify the advantage the hosting player has in seeing the turn resolve.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

morvael
Sergeant

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:27 am

But won't that lift the FOG of war for the replay viewers? This is not the same as seeing a turn execute (I think I have not played PBEM in this engine).

Pocus

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:17 pm

No, you see only what you should see.

morvael
Sergeant

Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:17 pm

That's great! So during the game you watch the replays with FOG. What happens when the game ends and you just want to look at how the forces moved without FOG? Is it possible, too?

Glad I bought BOA2, I hope this feature could be reimplemented in ACW and NC. :coeurs:

Pocus

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:17 pm

No, you can't lift fog if you played the turn with it. The information are simply not there.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”