Dale H
Private

BoA2 3D or not to be

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:19 am

Will BoA2 offer the 3D sprites or just the portrait icons? Just curious. :siffle:

PhilThib

Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:42 am

No 3D for the moment...it requires a time and a budget we do not have presently...if someone wants to give us the 3D sprites, then we shall include them...

GShock

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:09 am

This engine doesn't strictly need 3d or particularly high value music. Beat the goal and forget the eye-candy junk.

According to me AgeOD should "invest" in modding options to let people like Clovis overhaul the vanilla version, and in the MP component: AgeOD server.

Clients connect, game takes place online with game browser, clients shared equally between sides and each having just their theater of operations, seeing only that, operating only on that, president player accessing ledger and pol/eco/cons options.

Once this is done, the AI can be left as it is. Good sparing partner but with the best of the best waiting online. Such system is the best investment for the whole engine and for past, present and future AgeOD titles.

That's my 5 cents...no, make it a quarter $! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:26 pm

I second what GShock said, with the exception that I am interested in the AI getting better. Playing MP is a great challenge for many, but I am of the type that wants to play alone (enough competition in rl, I play games for escapism).

But again, 3D should not be a topic. The 2D graphics are fine, for a possible future engine I would like high quality vector graphics (like in CAD/GIS systems), instead of the raster graphics. It would allow a lot better representation and zooming wouldnt look as horrid it does now.

GShock

Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:33 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:I second what GShock said, with the exception that I am interested in the AI getting better. Playing MP is a great challenge for many, but I am of the type that wants to play alone (enough competition in rl, I play games for escapism).

To make an easy example. Would you have fun playing soccer against bots? I don't like the idea of kicking and being kicked by a bot...no fights, no rules broken, no bribed referee or blind linesmen....no fun. Soccer is a sport, ok, but it's also a game. :)

The same is in the game. You can find the crazy hyperfreak who thinks game is competitive and player who just wants to have fun in developing his strategy against a human mind. Exactly like soccer, there's Chelsea and the team of the church next to my house. :)

It's good that the game can please both these categories. Pbem is easy you not only can find hundreds of players here, but also of the same kind as you and who will only ask you to play X turns a week.

I suggest you to try the PBEM and am sure you won't play AI anymore...not the same way you did before.

Better than that there's only Jessica Alba.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

Rafiki

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:09 pm

[color="Blue"]GShock, though it's apparent that it's something you are semi-passionate about, you don't need to try to turn each and every thread someone starts about any given topic into a PBEM-advocacy thread. This thread is about 3D sprites in WIA; let's let it remain such[/color]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

GShock

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:07 pm

You can say passionate and that would still not be enough :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:09 pm

GShock I am glad for you that you get so much enjoyment out of MP, and I think it's important that the devs pay attention to your needs.

But as a player of AACW I also made it clear why I prefer to play SP and SP only, and why it is important for me to have ongoing improvements on the AI, and this personal taste of mine is based on almost 20 years of experience with computer games, so you're really not going to get me educated. I agree with you, however, that the MP is probably more engaging and challenging, but try to understand a lot of people want to be on their own when they play games.

So please lets not waste our time with arguments and hope the devs pay attentions to both camps, which is in everyone's interest.

ETF

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:21 pm

Why would anyone want to play against an AI besides for tutorials etc. I have been board and computer gaming and beta testing strategy games for 20 years. I have yet seen an AI (without cheating) that could even entertain an intermediate player. The newer generation of wargamers (I'm not one of them :sourcil: ) demand MP gaming support (lobbies etc) and preferably want TCP/IP. Make an AI sure but don't waste valuable resources on something that no civilian software company has yet to be able to be proficient at.

Name me one wargame or strategy game that has an excellent AI? I have all the Paradox and Matrix games (well most) and none of them do.

Thanks For the AACW it is an awesome MP game. Nothing more :niark:

On topic re 3D Sprites I kinda like the icons your using so far personally..........

arsan

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:39 pm

ETF wrote:Thanks For the AACW it is an awesome MP game. Nothing more :niark:

Well, 75% of the guys who pay money for this game (me included) does not agree with you. Check the numbers
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4757

Some PBEM players have the very annoying habit of looking at AI players like a second class kind of customers, or retards or something... :grr:
Well, without our money and our support, you would not have your "only good form MP games"... at least at this price.
Only 25% sales of the already niche market of wargames would mean very little new games being done.
Get fun of the game as you like, and let others do the same.
And show a little respect for the work and continued commitment of AGEod on the AI, please. Most of us really appreciate that.
Regards

lodilefty

Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:51 pm

arsan wrote:Well, 75% of the guys who pay money for this game (me included) does not agree with you. Check the numbers
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4757

Some PBEM players have the very annoying habit of looking at AI players like a second class kind of customers, or retards or something... :grr:
Well, without our money and our support, you would not have your "only good form MP games"... at least at this price.
Only 25% sales of the already niche market of wargames would mean very little new games being done.
Get fun of the game as you like, and let others do the same.
And show a little respect for the work and continued commitment of AGEod on the AI, please. Most of us really appreciate that.
Regards

+1
Very well put.
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:23 pm

Not really an interesting conversation... We love you all! :coeurs:

Thread closed. :turc:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”