• ships of the line
  • frigate
  • brig
  • schooner
  • gunboat
  • merchant ship
  • transport flotillas
  • etc.
There are about 500 different models of units in all.
All are rated for various aspects such as offensive and defensive strength, morale, experience, cohesion, troop quality, geographical origin, movement type, and special abilities.

Franciscus

Tue May 20, 2008 11:14 am

Great unit graphics, congratulations

(although I find a little amusing the "mixed" unit - 4th from left, top row. From the look of the lady, I would think that the soldier better behave, or else... :niark: )

Florent

Tue May 20, 2008 11:48 am

Hok, is there a difference this time between british infantry in 1755 and 1775-1783.
In BOA the same figurine was used for both whereas the french army was better represented.

PhilThib

Tue May 20, 2008 1:50 pm

What was the difference...uniforms only ? Do you have comparative pictures ? :indien:

Florent

Tue May 20, 2008 4:59 pm

Like the french, they had gaiters until over the knees, if you can put gaiters like the french it's OK but for now the French Army is better represented in the game showing the change between the 2 periods.
You could for diversity put a British Grenadier with their typical mitre. (for seven years war).Contrary to the Prussians or other german States the British mitre cap had no metal plate but was only wool.
Many representations of the time or books about war in canada (1754-1763)show these typical grenadier.
I have no scan but if somebody can post a typical British soldiers or grenadier, it would be nice.
After the seven years war, the grenadiers used a cap with bear fur like the french.(in the game).

Nikel

Tue May 20, 2008 6:46 pm

Do you use Osprey books for units and order of battles?

Light infantry and a grenadier
http://books.google.com/books?id=_740TbLzFmAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=wolfe+army+osprey&lr=&as_brr=0&hl=es&source=gbs_summary_s&cad=0

All the description of the troops is available, with some drawings
http://books.google.com/books?id=vwEm3wyIs-cC&pg=PA31&lpg=PA32&dq=1755+osprey&lr=&as_brr=0&hl=es&sig=lmIIMyd8iX7NrmpDbpWd30oYjpQ

Highlander
http://books.google.com/books?id=ojN9WWwaPZcC&pg=PA20&dq=1755+redcoat+osprey&lr=&as_brr=3&ei=CQwzSLTSHoXEyQTRwKXLDw&hl=es&sig=HaJNt39bGNAWFD4XSz_YeIye25k

Here are some, you can look too at the other french and indian war battles
http://www.britishbattles.com/battle-of-quebec.htm

This site perhaps is interesting for somebody

http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/en/image_205.asp

I do not know how to browse through the pictures, changing the number 205, 206,... :p leure:

A british grenadier is here and there are many more soldiers and commanders drawings
http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/en/image_189.asp

Florent

Tue May 20, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks Nikel. The british battle site shows 3 of these grenadiers so typical of this period. As you can see the Prussians or Russians had a plate in front of their mitre cap. Actually at the time of Fred's father the King-Soldier (le Roi-Sergent in France) the grenadier had also a mitre made of wool.

StatboyVT
Sergeant

Tue May 20, 2008 9:26 pm

PhilThib wrote:What was the difference...uniforms only ? Do you have comparative pictures ? :indien:

For you guys at Ageod, a good purchase for you might be "Don Troiani's Soldiers in America, 1754-1865". He's a famous combat artist here in the USA. You can google his name and get some ideas. That book might be useful for BOA and AACW.

Hok
General

Thu May 22, 2008 10:38 am

We used Osprey and another sources :niark: .

For new unit graphics we focus essentially on 1812 and some lack on AWI like Riflemen or Indians.

StatboyVT
Sergeant

Thu May 22, 2008 3:23 pm

Hok wrote:We used Osprey and another sources :niark: .

For new unit graphics we focus essentially on 1812 and some lack on AWI like Riflemen or Indians.

I hadn't heard of Osprey, so naturally I had to look them up. Impressive stuff. Thanks for that...now I have to spend more money! :grr:

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:28 pm

Thanks a lot for the update, especially the screens. Most of the units graphics look excellent, most. Some still don't fit well with sandras work, especially the artillery (please consider using the old ones from ACW, because it will be work to mod them in). All in all I am I am optimistics that graphics will be on a level with ACW (wasnt completely convinced by NCW), about the gameplay I never had reservations.

I just played literally 3 minutes with a photoshop filter (enlarge to 512, filter "cross", and then resize back to original), no refinement, and I think it is easy to get much more of that painted effect of the earlier games.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Will BoA2 allow to recruit troops?

Some while ago it was said yes, now I am not so sure.

arsan

Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:35 pm

I think it will be a pseudo recruitment like on NCP. Using political options.
And of course events like on BoA
Not a real recruitment like in AACW, which probably would not be very historical in the WIA time frame.
Regards

Hok
General

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:38 am

GlobalExplorer wrote:Will BoA2 allow to recruit troops?

Some while ago it was said yes, now I am not so sure.

Arsan is right, some military or diplomatic options will permit to recruit some units or have more reinforcement.

Rebels are able to buy canon to French and English to send some troops on America for example.
Supply, militia, Privateers, Warships, Regulars, Natives ... can be bought with options system.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:55 pm

Thanks for answering.

Please dont neglect this aspect. To be able to build up my own forces was one of the main features I liked in AACW, and it was the reason I did not buy NCP.

I am somewhat dissapointed by this.

Stwa
Colonel

Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:12 am

GlobalExplorer wrote:Thanks a lot for the update, especially the screens. Most of the units graphics look excellent, most. Some still don't fit well with sandras work, especially the artillery (please consider using the old ones from ACW, because it will be work to mod them in). All in all I am I am optimistics that graphics will be on a level with ACW (wasnt completely convinced by NCW), about the gameplay I never had reservations.

I just played literally 3 minutes with a photoshop filter (enlarge to 512, filter "cross", and then resize back to original), no refinement, and I think it is easy to get much more of that painted effect of the earlier games.

1. Regarding graphics, the new map is outstanding.

2. I concur with the unit graphics, seems as if there are mismatches.

3. To that end I am already slowly, when I have time, making some changes for my own use. I am using GIMP, which does the job nicely.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:53 pm

Stwa wrote:1. Regarding graphics, the new map is outstanding.

Agreed and excellent job Hok.

Stwa wrote:3. To that end I am already slowly, when I have time, making some changes for my own use. I am using GIMP, which does the job nicely.

I hope you will publish them eventually, I found it really a chore to mod those "mismatches" you mentioned.

Let me again stress how much I loved the unit graphics in ACW and why I am bringing this up again. Especially the fort battery looks out of place among the other units, I dont find it an ugly graphics per se but it is a completely different style.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”