Blackcloud6
Conscript

When to lay siege or when to assault

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:11 pm

What goes into the decision making when figuring out to siege or assault?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: When to lay siege or when to assault

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:15 pm

Blackcloud6 wrote:What goes into the decision making when figuring out to siege or assault?

As you might suspect its complex. Remember that frontage plays an important role in combat so a large army cannot effectively be deployed to an assault. So a certain size of garrison will probably fight off any direct attack.

Time matters as does location. If it is garrisoned by a battalion or so and you are coming up to winter its probably worthwhile thinking about gambling on an assault.

Some places are hard to cut off so that makes siege hard. Montreal is one. Quebec less so if you have naval assets as you can send supply wagons back to the fleet, replenish and back to the land (fleets tend to carry more supply than they need).

It also depends a bit on the scenario. In the French-Indian wars both armies are small, so garrisons tend to be limited making it relatively easy for a large (relatively) army to take most locations by storm. In the American Revolution scenario both sides can generate substantial garrisons meaning that you end up with more long sieges or have to move a large army into a region in order to take control.

Durk

Re: When to lay siege or when to assault

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:31 am

I am not as careful nor informed in my play as loki100, so what I do is look at the size of the fort. If the fort is a level one I assault if I seem to have more strength. If not, I establish a siege. If the fort is also a port, I blockade. Which means, if I do not have naval power against a strong fort, I make sure I have cannons and hope to create breaches.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”