Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Registering with Matrix

Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:44 pm

I just realized that WIA wasn't installed on my new computer.

After a moment of panic when I couldn't find the disk (who uses them anymore ?), I managed to get the game installed, then patched, and then quickfixed (I notice that the quick fix is still in beta after all these years).

Reflecting on my moment of panic, I decided to check and see if I had ever registered the game with Matrix, and of course I hadn't. My copy doesn't even mention Paradox, so it may be a bit antediluvian.

I fed my very long serial number into the Matrix website, and not surprisingly it didn't recognize it.

Should I wait until September (in which case I may forget to do anything about it)?

I have this nagging feeling that the next time I try to install on a new computer (several years from now, knock on wood) I may not be able to lay hands on the disk, if computers are even still using them by then (don't laugh -- I found some floppies in the back of my closet the other day). So thinking ahead, it would probably be a good idea to get registered to protect against a change in technology.

In the meantime the game seems to be working, though I'll have to remember how to restart my old computer to figure out what mods I had installed in it (King Philip's War looks great, by the way).

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:09 pm

I have similar fears if gamersgate ever goes bust (and it is scarcely looking healthy these days) as I bought all my first generation AGEOD games that way (yes I now know I should have bought direct from AGEOD).

From other discussions around upgrades to 'gold' versions, I think that when AGEOD were run by Paradox (extremely badly imho), Paradox took no care over the issue of keys so cannot provide a list to Matrix. This blew up when you could buy RuS Gold fairly cheaply if you had bought RuS from AGEOD or Matrix but not if you had paid the same price with GG (since Paradox never got the rights to RuS they were stopped from doing silly things like sell it via Steam for .99c).

So I don't think that Matrix will take a registration number either from buying disks or from a different digital download company. A bit of a worry to be honest. Best solution maybe to back up all the installation files and store them somewhere safe?
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:45 pm

loki100 wrote:I have similar fears if gamersgate ever goes bust (and it is scarcely looking healthy these days) as I bought all my first generation AGEOD games that way (yes I now know I should have bought direct from AGEOD).

From other discussions around upgrades to 'gold' versions, I think that when AGEOD were run by Paradox (extremely badly imho), Paradox took no care over the issue of keys so cannot provide a list to Matrix. This blew up when you could buy RuS Gold fairly cheaply if you had bought RuS from AGEOD or Matrix but not if you had paid the same price with GG (since Paradox never got the rights to RuS they were stopped from doing silly things like sell it via Steam for .99c).

So I don't think that Matrix will take a registration number either from buying disks or from a different digital download company. A bit of a worry to be honest. Best solution maybe to back up all the installation files and store them somewhere safe?

This is a concern for me as well. I did buy all the Ageod games, most of them from Ageod or Matrix, but I did make the mistake of buying PON and all the expansions from GG. I store the installation files for the early Ageod games on a flash drive, and should figure out a way to store the GG installation files, as PON remains my favorite game of all times.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”