BWise
Conscript

1812 as United States

Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:39 pm

In the 1812 scenario what position should the Americans be in by the end of 1813 before the new wave of British reinforcements arrive? I'm not really sure where the initial focus should be to give the Americans an advantage by 1814. Are there any cities that are considered essential to take and defend? Should fighting in the west be finished so more units can be sent to the Niagara and Champlain theaters?

Durk

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:08 am

The 1812 scenario is challenging from either side. Historically, the American were pretty embarrassed by most of the events of the war. Only Andrew Jackson's victory at New Orleans allowed the Americans to claim a victory. So any success is to be rewarded.

Use the forces in place to attack out of Detroit (including the Indian Villages). Same out of Niagara. Try capturing the fort opposite Niagara and then move more deeply into Canada. Around Lake Champlain, hold until you can bring up reinforcements. Naval victories on the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain are important to keep your supply and to open your forces to naval invasions. Remember, burning Canada's capital was what motivated the British to burn Washington.

The forces which gather around Washington should hold and wait for a good leader which you should send. Holding Washington is one key to doing well.

You cannot really get forces from the west to Niagara or Champlain as Tuscumsa will be too strong for you to leave the western cities without some support.

BWise
Conscript

Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:53 pm

I definitely tend to ignore the naval aspects of most games so that may be part of my problem. I felt too weak for much of the game, especially early on Lake Erie where I think there is only two boats. Maybe I should wait until 1813 for sending out the ships so I can build more and get better leaders? Or should they be active from the beginning?

Durk

Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:00 pm

There are actually two separate naval games. The Battle of the Lakes and the Battle of the Atlantic.

No sense waiting. The forces of both sides are very even in strength and very hard to increase in strength. The Americans have two very capable Naval Commanders in Chauncey, Lake Erie, and Perry, Lake Ontario. The Americans start with divided fleets on both Erie and Ontario. So the first task is to combine the four initial fleets into two fleets.
If you wish to be cautious, put the fleets which have to enter potential enemy regions into passive mod and avoid combat before you move to the region where your fleets will combine. I tend to be more aggressive moving both fleet in a more active posture. Once your fleets join, you will have superiority on these two lakes with just a bit of luck.
For Lake Champlain you need to build a fleet, this is usually a decent first purchase.

On the oceans, there are four naval boxes, New England, Europe, South and Caribbean. This hold British merchant fleets. If you can place at least one raiding ship in each of the four sea boxes you will gain 4 EP each turn, one EP for each sea box in which you have privateers. The British do have some nice frigates with which to counter at least one naval box. Holding your extra frigates in a port which can easily reach the threatened sea box will provide some opportunity to win a few ocean battles.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”