kentcol
Conscript

Winter

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:20 pm

A dumb question. So in winter is it mostly moving nothing and just waiting for Spring? If not, what do you do in the Winter period?

lodilefty

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:25 pm

Campaign in the warmer South!
Small raiding units [Rangers] can do damage to unguarded depots, etc. in Winter.
Winter Quarters are the routine! Get a "Training Officer" into a stack of troops to train them up to elite.....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

CatoTheYounger
Sergeant

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:09 am

lodilefty wrote:Campaign in the warmer South!
Small raiding units [Rangers] can do damage to unguarded depots, etc. in Winter.
Winter Quarters are the routine! Get a "Training Officer" into a stack of troops to train them up to elite.....

That's just it. Send some Courier Du Bois or rangers down south. The French frontiersman can go on a campaign to recruit a large amount of warriors in the Southern regions, many of which will stay during their mild winter. A lot of vulnerable settlements and stockades with the occasional fort to raid. I would not advise attacking Charleston or any big VP cities down there unless you bring some Professional soldiers. Their is a unit that you can procure in New Orleans I believe, but I hate to take any of the few marines of garrison duty. As for the British, I never play them but shall in the future. They can spend time driving out all the tribes down there so they don't have to worry about a southern menace.

Winter quarters was the reality of warfare back then. Especially in such a harsh undeveloped landscape and northern climate. It's is often a relief actually. Protects the French from relentless attacks from the British who outnumber them. Gives them a chance to hold out in siege defense until winter if they cannot be relieved.

Durk

Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:27 am

Sometimes, campaigning in the winter in the North, especially by the Colonial Americans, is highly rewarded as it was in these wars. Bring along a wagon, but catch your opponent rebuilding and not ready to fight. To rebuild, an army needs to break down to match its elements to the supply of a city. This is an opportunity to defeat the enemy in detail. That is, if the army is composed of 100 elements, no city can rebuild it, so it breaks into stacks of 14 or 20 to rebuild.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”