cotwell
Private

HJow can I get my generals to move?

Thu May 23, 2013 10:21 pm

Playing as the British in the 1755 campaign. I have been following Loki100 and Narwhal's AAR on this campaign, and trying to take Fort Duquesne. The French AI sacks Fort Cumberland starting the first turn. I was able to get enough supplies and artillery there to rebuild it as a base to strike out for Duquesne, but Braddock is dead, and Abercrombie is a stiff. I don't even send him down to Williamsburg.So I sent some other guy there with more troops and supplies - whoever shows up first at Philadelphia - can't remember the name right now. But then HE wouldn't move, and the army started drawing down its supplies. Now that the general is ready to move, I'm afraid I won't have enough supplies when I get up to Pittsburg (sorry Duquense) to rebuid the depot. Time is running out and I'm not getting anywhere. I could have gone with a lower-ranking general, but the command penalty was pretty fierce. Where did I go wrong? Rebuilding Cumberland? But otherwise it's a long way through the wilderness with siege guns! Maybe the army collected there is now too big? Is there any way I can convince my general to move at a propitious time?

Durk

Fri May 24, 2013 1:08 am

Don't be too discouraged with your attempts to take Fort Duquesne. Washington needed two tries and three years to achieve this feat. And he was helped by the French not staffing the fort the second time. British leaders in this scenario are very frustrating.

It looks like you planned well. Sending your force under Washington will help make sure you can march each turn. Send a couple of wagons. Rebuilding Fort Cumberland is not essential. Rebuilding Cumberland might use a precious wagon you need to reach Duquesne in full supply.
You units should only take two months to march to Duquesne. Send the cannons later if you need them to take the fort and convert it to Pittsburg.

cotwell
Private

Fri May 31, 2013 12:58 am

Thanks, Durk

Managed to take Duquesne finally - I had five generals in the stack. Once that happened, a unit labeled "merchandise" appeared in the region. I ordered it into the fort, but I don't know what it's for (don't remember reading anything about it.) Also, I took Louisburg the same turn, and some supply wagons, artillery and the siege guns were outside the fort afterwards, although I had ordered the whole stack to enter the fort. Anyone know why that happened? Are they captured units? Or did my units just not all make it into the fort? Anyway, I ordered them to join the Army - so hopefully they will enter the fort before they freeze to death. :)

Durk

Fri May 31, 2013 2:36 am

Congratulations on your success. Merchandise is basically a supply type unit worth a few victory points it taken.
What you saw at Louisburg were the wagons, artillery and siege guns you captured. Captured units always appear outside the structure. Ordering them to join your main army was a good idea. Remember, Siege guns do not march. They are static.

cotwell
Private

Fri May 31, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks, Durk

Do you mean the coastal guns? (Fixed artillery, I take it)

Durk

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:56 am

Yes, that is what I mean, coastal guns and other spoils of war you captured.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:26 pm

For whatever reason, I find that Fort Duquesne is a breeze compared to Montreal/Quebec. I've taken Fort Duquesne several times, not once have I ever been able to crack the Canadian nut with either the British or Americans.

One thing that I noticed, at least for me, in taking Fort Duquesne was that it is essentially a one way trip for whatever force hits it. Once the fort is destroyed, no matter how much supply they have, the remoteness of the region usually ends up with one or two generals limping back east with no army left after the campaign.

Durk

Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:40 am

A couple of thoughts:
Do you make taking Forteresse de Louisbourg part of your assault on Montreal/Quebec?
What works for me is to take Louisbourg, build my fleets and bring my armies back to full strength, and then in the spring move down the St Lawrence to take Quebec. Montreal will fall with certainty once that happens.

I am not exactly certain what you are saying with regard to Fort Duquesne for this reason. As the British, when I take the fort I do not destroy it. What I do is build a depot and hold the fort.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:14 am

That was my problem after taking Fort Duquesne. I didn't know if I would have enough forces to hold it after taking it, and destroying it only ended up wiping out the one supply base in a very remote region. At the time I didn't know how vital that fort was, so it's no wonder so much attention was paid to it in real life.

As far as Louisbourg, no I've never taken it. In the 1755 campaign I have occasionally sent Wolfe or another general in with a force to try and take it but for whatever reason he ends up out of supply and having to retreat or surrender. My campaigns against Montreal/Quebec have always gone the lazy direct way straight up from Ticonderoga.

Durk

Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:09 am

Ahh!! You are just about ready to delight in your conquest of Canada for the British crown.
You will have enough force to hold Fort Duquesne. Build the depot to rebuild your forces. You will get new Indian allies and the west will be yours. Also, this will stop Indian rampages in Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Send a force to Louisbourg with two supply. Take the region next to the fort and build a depot. If the French come to attack you, you command the region. If they do not, come spring, place your force on the fort and blockade the port with your fleet. Louisbourg will be yours. The next spring attack Quebec.

You do not have the horsepower to beat the French marching overland from Ticonderoga (unless the French really mess up). If you must do the Ticonderoga route, send the troops via boats and establish a base on the no city region at the top of the lake. This will give you some hope. But you can never move enough troops via this route. You need ships and a decent down the St Lawrence.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:40 am

Thanks for the tips, especially the one for Louisburg. I know it's a key city, but have just never spent enough time and energy actually taking it. You're definitely right about the water route with Ticonderoga. Marching either north or south overland along the St. Lawrence is just suicide... it takes FOREVER to get anywhere up that far north.

Durk

Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:49 am

Try the Louisbourg route and see what happens.
It might be useful to know that historically, Louisbourg was not the fortress the French hoped it would be.
It does take forever, but then the object is to take Canada. Not to be done in a month.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”