cotwell
Private

about replacements

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:54 pm

Here is what the manual says about replacements reaching depleted units:

The number of replacement strength points a unit may absorb (as a percentage of its full strength) is a function of the type of terrain it occupies as follows:
10%: Land unit in a region with an unbesieged town,
20%: Land unit in a region with an unbesieged city.
Minimum city level required is set in each game's City.str structure file by the parameter RplMinLevel:
BoA = 2
AACW = 2
NCP = 1
WIA = 2
RoP = 2
30%: Land unit in a region with an unbesieged Depot

5% per Port level: Naval unit in harbor (represents repair to damaged ships)
Minimum port level required is set in each game's Harbor.str structure file by the parameter RplMinLevel:
All games = 3 (as of 12:26, 6 May 2010 (UTC))

1. Anybody know if this is correct for 1.10e?

2. Does it happen automatically?

3. Does the depot or city have to be along a viable supply line?

4. Are these the rules for replacing lost elements?

EDIT: very new to the game. I'm really enjoying it though, as far as I can make out what is going on....

Durk

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 pm

You have pretty much captured it.
As to the particulars:
1. This is still correct.
2. It happens automatically to all non-moving units in a town or city, such as you note, and depots and wagons in towns and cities.
3. Games vary. In WIA (BOA) each supply point is a standalone for purposes of rebuilding units. That is, you do not need the supply chain as it is used in other games.
4. Elements follow very much the same idea, except you have to have the replacement chits available (those you buys with EP).

cotwell
Private

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:27 am

Thank you! That clears things up a lot. A related question: what determines what I can spend EP on? For instance, sometimes there is the option to buy supplies, but after I've done it a couple times the option disappears. Same with some of the other options (siege guns and dragoons, for instance.)

Durk

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:47 am

Different options have different possibilities. Most are offered once a year or once every six months. Some are offered only once.
If you are doing an ok job, you usually have enough EP to almost buy everything.
If you are really succeeding, you will have more EP than things to buy.
An example of a yearly option would be the incentive to keep troops by the Americans in 1776 offered in December. Happens every end of year.
Diplomatic options, send an ambassador just once.
Raise militia to regular for a year, every year.
Recruit new troops, a couple of times
Buy replacements, every six months.
I may be off on a few.

So, siege guns - once
Dragoons - Twice

You will discover the patterns.

marechalCAMBRONNE
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:08 pm

So, just to be sure I understand. In the FaIw, i got my Lake ontario fleet trashed and need to repair it. So i sent her to Fort Niagara (level 1 port and level one depot). It doesn't seem to help. What should I do?

Durk

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:28 am

Here is the rule:
In order for a unit that has suffered strength point losses to be eligible to receive replacements, it must remain stationary for the complete game turn. the number of replacement strength points a unit may absorb (as a percentage of its full strength) is a function of the type of terrain it occupies as follows:
10%: unit in a region with an unbesieged town,
20%: unit in a region with an unbesieged city (level 4 or greater),
30%: unit in a region with an unbesieged Depot
5% per level: unit is a naval vessel in harbor (represents repair to damaged ships)

Which means, you get 10% for the town, 30% for the depot; however, you are a naval unit, so instead you get 5% for the level one harbor.
How long will it take at a 5% chance to rebuild?
Do you have a larger port? Option one.
Do you have a port with a depot?
It will be hard to rebuild. Final answer.

marechalCAMBRONNE
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 pm

I will bolster my depot. Thank for the rapid answer

Durk wrote:Here is the rule:
In order for a unit that has suffered strength point losses to be eligible to receive replacements, it must remain stationary for the complete game turn. the number of replacement strength points a unit may absorb (as a percentage of its full strength) is a function of the type of terrain it occupies as follows:
10%: unit in a region with an unbesieged town,
20%: unit in a region with an unbesieged city (level 4 or greater),
30%: unit in a region with an unbesieged Depot
5% per level: unit is a naval vessel in harbor (represents repair to damaged ships)

Which means, you get 10% for the town, 30% for the depot; however, you are a naval unit, so instead you get 5% for the level one harbor.
How long will it take at a 5% chance to rebuild?
Do you have a larger port? Option one.
Do you have a port with a depot?
It will be hard to rebuild. Final answer.

toddtreadway
Conscript

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:23 pm

So does the replacement screen show when replacement ELEMENTS are needed? I.e., if all my elements are fully repaired to 100%, but some elements have been destroyed, so I am not at 100% elements, will the replacement screen show that I need replacements?

arsan

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:14 pm

No, the replacement screen only shows what replacements you have availible.
To see when a unit is in need of a full element, check the unit card on the unit panel. Over the NATO icon you will see a little square for each element the unit may have. White squares are empty element "slots". Green are element slots already filled.

Bear in mind in WIA replacements shown on the ledger work different then on more recent games. They are only used to fill empty element slots. Damaged elements in units can recover health just by being on a structure with supply as explained above. You don´t need to have the appropiate type of replacement for it to happen as in newer games.
Regards.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”