Bodders
Corporal

AI Settings FIW

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:41 am

Hi all,

I recently bought this game, having only played AACW up to now and have been playing the French Indian War campaign scenario as the British against the AI. I have some experience from GMT's wilderness war so don't feel totally clueless about the history and whilst it feels right for me with doing very little and being very scared of winter, the overall flow seems a bit strange!

Basically, the first year is a lot of small coureurs des bois units besieging deep behind my lines, I've seen them at New York, Williamsburg, Halifax and normal militia at Falmouth.

Even if they capture somewhere, I can take it back so it seems fairly counter productive and rather like a cartoon chase although I can't move in winter and they happily carry on which is a bit annoying! I know raiding was important in this war but that was the frontier settlements not the big cities.

I'm using the latest patch with quick fix. To challenge myself I put it on hard attrition only for the player and AI settings are colonel, use all behaviours, hard, medium detection bonus, normal aggressiveness, give AI more time.

If I change any of these will this lessen the deep raids or is it just a side-effect of the VPs for raiding and I should stick to playing the French?

Cheers for any help

Durk

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:14 am

My recommendation, always, when you reach the state you have, play both sides. You do this by making the move for the French, then save but do not run the turn. Exit. Open the British side. Play the British, then execute the turn. You can reverse sides at any point. I usually play the least challenged side, then the most difficult side.

To answer more directly, the changes do not impact the deep raids. Mostly, if I understand correctly, hard gives AI additional time to "reflect" and more resources and you take more attrition hits.

Bodders
Corporal

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Ok, thanks for your advice Durk. That all makes sense, a correction to assist the AI as it were.

I think I'll give it a go as the French first on 'normal' aggressiveness and then try again as the British with the only change to 'low' aggressiveness. I always preferred the confederacy on 'low' when I played the Union in AACW so that might be closer to the sort of game I'd like.

Durk

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:40 am

I am wondering how your play is going? It might be time for you to reach out to another forum player and try it live !!!

Bodders
Corporal

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Durk wrote:I am wondering how your play is going? It might be time for you to reach out to another forum player and try it live !!!

Hi Durk. I started as the French briefly but then didn't have a clue what strategy to follow, so decided to go back to the British :D In the end, I thought I'd just live with the slight a-historical deep raiding rather than change settings and it only effected me the first year, after which the French possibly had lost too much.

I'm nicely ahead in 1759 as the British, mainly because Montcalm and most of the French forces seemed hidden through much of '57 as I used Johnson to take Niagara and Frontenac. They appeared in Force in Nova Scotia eventually just in time to die at the hands of Wolfe and Amherst.

I could try live but could probably only commit to one turn a day which I know might be very slow for a lot of people!

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”