stockwellpete
Sergeant

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:43 pm

The Anglo-American War of 1812 is covered in this very fine documentary here . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyMFtn1mIs0

Carnium

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:30 pm

Both great PBS documentaries.
[ATTACH]21742[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]21741[/ATTACH]
Interesting that such commercial programmes are free on youtube.
Attachments
wtmadvd_200.jpg
pPBS3-11053872dt.jpg

Hobbes

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Both are very good I agree. The War That Made America somehow doesn't suffer from the 8 reinactors playing an army problem that a lot of docudramas suffer from.
This series is also good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDwHVFXYcro. I have only seen some of it on YouTube - look for the later episodes that cover many of the WiA scenarios (there are cuts though it seems). It does seem strange that so much is available on YouTube - programs I might otherwise buy (I did buy The War That Made America though).

WallysWorld
Captain

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:57 am

Hobbes wrote:This series is also good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDwHVFXYcro. I have only seen some of it on YouTube - look for the later episodes that cover many of the WiA scenarios (there are cuts though it seems)

That video is from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's series "Canada: A People's History" which was made about ten years ago. A good series although the actor that portrayed Sir Isaac Brock was too old.

The series I like about The War of 1812 is by the McKenna brothers who have done a number of historical documentaries here in Canada. It's a four part series from 1998 which describes the war accurately from both sides of the conflict. I have the series on DVD: War of 1812. The actor that portrays Brock is bang on.

stockwellpete
Sergeant

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:13 am

I noticed that "Canada: A People's History" yesterday while looking at the Quebec programme suggested by Hobbes. It looks to have been an absolutely massive project! I shall start looking at it after I have finished the Quebec series. I also noticed in the second episode of the Quebec series that they were using footage from a wonderful film called "Black Robe" which depicts the efforts of the French Jesuits to convert the Huron, Montagnais and Algonquin Indians to Christianity. The film is based on the novel by the Irish writer Brian Moore and it is also available on youtube in 5 parts (I am not sure if it is OK to paste the links for a feature film here). I have the film in my own collection and I watched it again yesterday - highly recommended.

I found the first Quebec programme fascinating when it talked about the original populating of the Americas. It suggested that humans crossed the Bering Straits and then moved down the eastern seaboard towards where Mexico is before some started moving eastwards across the interior of the continent (some must have carried on into South America) before finally moving northwards towards Canada and the Atlantic coastline - so it was a roughly circular-shaped colonisation in the first instance. The other thing that has intrigued me is that the pre-contact Indian societies seemed to have been quite dynamic in their own right. There was a certain amount of social differentiation with chiefs (sachems) and shamans and they built stockaded settlements to defend themselves against rival groupings. When we get to the period covered by the game we also have the Iroquois Confederacy that amalgamated 5, then 6, tribes in alliance together. Good stuff!

PANGI

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 pm

oh. that looks really good. thanks
ImageImage

Hobbes

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:11 pm

There were also documentaries about Pontiac and Tecumseh available if you searched YouTube and the web a few years ago.
There might be some old links that still work in the forum.

stockwellpete
Sergeant

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Hobbes wrote:There were also documentaries about Pontiac and Tecumseh available if you searched YouTube and the web a few years ago.
There might be some old links that still work in the forum.

There is a Pontiac one here . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ9pMZe1MmM

PANGI

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Hobbes wrote:Both are very good I agree. The War That Made America somehow doesn't suffer from the 8 reinactors playing an army problem that a lot of docudramas suffer from.
This series is also good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDwHVFXYcro. I have only seen some of it on YouTube - look for the later episodes that cover many of the WiA scenarios (there are cuts though it seems). It does seem strange that so much is available on YouTube - programs I might otherwise buy (I did buy The War That Made America though).

I saw this on YouTube ago too...batle of Plains of Abraham
ImageImage

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”