Canon
Lieutenant

Colonial Faction not working?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Hey guys, big fan of Ageod games, really like what you guys have done for Historical Strategy Community. I've lurked for a while here picking up tips and getting all the patches, but I registered now to report a problem I've been having.

Never really got into WIA until now, as ACW took up all my time. Anyway, have been getting into it lately, but I have discovered a problem with my game. The Colonial Variants added a nice, challenging feature for the British in the 1755 Colonial FIW. But it appears that this is not taking effect in my game. I have it patched to the latest (Legacy 1.10e), but the British Generals can command Colonial Troops without any penalty and vice versa. I was under the impression that their would be a severe command penalty if this happened. I've attached 2 images to show the problem. One has Washington commanding 2 British Regulars with no penalty, the other has Dunbar commanding 2 provincials. Any one have any solutions or ideas about what has happened?[ATTACH]21534[/ATTACH][ATTACH]21533[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Dunbar.png
Washington.png

Ebbingford

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:20 am

What is the command useage of each of those two stacks?
It should be 8 for each stack that you have shown, the two commanders have 2 command points each so you have a 30% penalty according to the tooltip. If you swap the leaders and the stacks round, Dunbar with the two Kings regiments, Washington with the provincials, then they each are using 2 command points and have no penalties.
A unit that needs 1 command point uses 4 if commanded by the "wrong" nationality of leader.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Canon
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 am

Ebbingford wrote:What is the command useage of each of those two stacks?
It should be 8 for each stack that you have shown, the two commanders have 2 command points each so you have a 30% penalty according to the tooltip. If you swap the leaders and the stacks round, Dunbar with the two Kings regiments, Washington with the provincials, then they each are using 2 command points and have no penalties.
A unit that needs 1 command point uses 4 if commanded by the "wrong" nationality of leader.

I thought there should have been a 30% penalty, but as you can see in the picture no penalty is being assessed despite the General being the wrong nationality.

It says that both stacks require 2 CP, so no x4 penalty is occurring. If I switch the commanders no change happens, as they are both equal 1 star commanders, and obviously 2 CP is fine for 1 Star generals.

Ebbingford

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:31 am

The penalty and command costs of the stacks show up in the tooltip of the stack on the map, not in the stack panel as showing in your screenshots.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Canon
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:09 pm

[ATTACH]21541[/ATTACH]
Ebbingford wrote:The penalty and command costs of the stacks show up in the tooltip of the stack on the map, not in the stack panel as showing in your screenshots.

Sorry, but it doesn't. There is no visual display of a penalty being assessed.
Attachments
dunbar2.jpg

lodilefty

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:19 pm

Are you sure you are running the Colonial variant?

The penaltoies are WAD in my installation....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Canon
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:44 pm

lodilefty wrote:Are you sure you are running the Colonial variant?

I can only run the Colonial Version, as you removed the others in the Legacy Patch. No one else has experienced this problem?

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Yes correct , no difference in command cost for provincial units. Additionally I remember untrained provincials were militia before that they had cohesion or discipline penalty for being in different state.

Ebbingford

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:24 am

lodilefty wrote:Are you sure you are running the Colonial variant?

Same in mine, I have Dunbar with 2 provincial units with a command cost of 8.

Canon
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:34 am

At some point this weekend I will do a complete reinstall of WIA with the new patch, see if it was just a freak thing. I'll let you guys know the results once it's done.

Ebbingford

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:59 am

I wasn't running the latest version when I looked at this, I am now and I can confirm with the latest patch 1.10e that the colonial faction does not work.
Dunbar with 2 provincials only costs 2, same with Washington and 2 regulars.
The "Colonial" part does not seem to be working.

lodilefty

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:26 pm

Confirmed :(

I was testing with a save started under earlier version :bonk:

This will take some time to fix, as WIA is supposed to be legacy, asnd other priorities beckon.....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Canon
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:22 pm

lodilefty wrote:Confirmed :(

I was testing with a save started under earlier version :bonk:

This will take some time to fix, as WIA is supposed to be legacy, asnd other priorities beckon.....

Ok, kind of happy to know that I wasn't crazy but kinda sad it is something serious. Would 1.10d be the way to go for now?

For a 5 year old game I'm just happy that eventually this will get fixed. Most companies would just shrug a complaint like this off, so thanks in advance for hearing and fixing it sometime down the road.

Canon
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Another question: What is the rule regarding Indians? Is there supposed to be a command penalty with them as well? I see some Franco or Anglo-Indian commanders, which would seem to indicate that there should be a penalty, but most Indians have a command cost of zero, so is there no effect? Or is the penalty only assessed during combat?

lodilefty

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Canon wrote:Another question: What is the rule regarding Indians? Is there supposed to be a command penalty with them as well? I see some Franco or Anglo-Indian commanders, which would seem to indicate that there should be a penalty, but most Indians have a command cost of zero, so is there no effect? Or is the penalty only assessed during combat?

The bug is also negating the penalty for Indians, and for German/British in the AWI scenarios....
[CENTER][/CENTER]

lodilefty

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Try this fix:
Note: it appears to only "fix" new games, not ongoing saved games. Apparently the Command "Co-op" param is buried inside the saves...

Extract into your \WIA\GameData\Factions folder
4 files overwritten
Attachments
Factions.zip
(2.36 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Canon
Lieutenant

Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:45 pm

It appears that the fix worked for British Generals + Colonial Troops, but not Colonial Generals + British Troops. Washington can still command 2 Regiments no problem.

Edit: Indian penalty is working, French General - Canadian Troops is working, British General - German Troops is working, and American General + French Troops is working.

But Canadian General - French Troops have no penalty, German General - British Troops have no penalty, French General (not Lafayette) - American Troops no penalty. Is this WAD?
Attachments
washington.png

Canon
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Can I assume by the delay that your working on a fix? ;)

Pocus

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:09 am

This is fixed internally, so expect a patch!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Narwhal

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:19 pm

Hello,

If you are patching, can you update the name of the "colonial variants" so it is not called "colonial variants" anymore but the original name ? :)

lodilefty

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:36 pm

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Canon
Lieutenant

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Merci Beaucoup! Ageod does it again!

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”