moloko
Conscript

Some things I couldn't find in the manual

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:16 am

A couple of things are still puzzling me....

1. What exactly does the color (green, orange or red) of the bullets on the TDM indicate? I know the number of bullets indicates force size, but I'm not clear of the significance of the color, is it related to supply, cohesion, losses...all of the above?

2. how do you save a game without overwriting the previous save?

Thanks for your help, I'm enjoying this game a great deal

Durk

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:35 am

Hi moloko,

1. You are correct in your understanding of what the green, orange and red bullets mean. Force size, but not necessarily strength.
Green means the force has units which are mostly at full strength and fully supplied.
Orange means the force has, either or both or all three, under strength units or unit with supply and cohesion challenges.
As the British, your German Allied units which are one or two elements in strength, pull down the 'color' because they could have four elements. A stack with a lot of these small German units might appear to be in trouble, orange, when they are in fact full strength.
Red is a force in serious trouble. Usually battered and weak and ready for some refit.
So yes, all of the above.

2. Typically, you will have a collection of all your previous turns in your saves file under this games folder. Look there; computer/local disk C/Program Files (86)/Wars in America/WIA/Saves/Your game

moloko
Conscript

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:38 am

Durk wrote:Hi moloko,

2. Typically, you will have a collection of all your previous turns in your saves file under this games folder. Look there; computer/local disk C/Program Files (86)/Wars in America/WIA/Saves/Your game

Hmmm, there used to be multiple saves, 10 turns worth or so but for some reason I now have only the current save as an option to load. Maybe I changed a save setting somewhere, I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the reply on the bullet question, I thought I had it figured out but it bugged me not knowing for sure

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:03 am

Moloko - just saw a question like this you posed in a paradox forum about a year ago.

I got confused by this myself and I think, having not got the game in front of me (and it might be NCP) that if you just click on save it just updates something, but to save a particular turn so you can return to it and try something different you have to hold down CTrl (or shift) then press save, then enter your name for the save. Then when you go back to the menu and load a game it has a funny little red blob of some sort by your own save.

Durk

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:03 am

Tell us how you are trying to retrieve earlier turns. Are you using the load game interface or are you out of the game in the saves folder?
Did you change from playing AI to playing in a different format?
A bit of detail would help, especially if you used to find multiple saves.

moloko
Conscript

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 am

Durk wrote:Tell us how you are trying to retrieve earlier turns. Are you using the load game interface or are you out of the game in the saves folder?
Did you change from playing AI to playing in a different format?
A bit of detail would help, especially if you used to find multiple saves.

It used to be if I went to "Load Game" from the start menu screen there would be a bunch of saves to choose from, now there is only two. One is the title of the scenario I chose, the other is the save game that I named myself. When I save the game it is usually by clicking the save button from the game interface, but I also tried going to the start menu and clicking "save" from there. The file I named myself is from when I first started the scenario, once the game is started it doesn't appear that you can name save games after that.

I do see a bunch of files in the save folder where the game is installed, but I don't know how to use them without the game running, windows does not recognize those files if I double click them.

I also noticed recently that after I close the game there are 20 or so saved game files in the recycle bin, some are TRN files and others ORD. I can see that some of them are from saved games that I named myself. However if I restore those files they don't show up in the saved games list, I still only have to load options, the scenario start and the saved game I named myself.

I don't know why those files end up in the recycle bin, I thought maybe I had checked an option to automatically delete old saves, but I see no such option in the options menu. Sorry this all sounds so confusing, but I am pretty much befuddled at this point !

Durk

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:10 am

You are correct about only naming when you load a game, except if you wish to rename, you have this option. In the Load Menu, hover your mouse over the game you wish to rename. You will see that if you use the “Insert” key, you can now rename the game.
Lightly select the game, hit Insert, you can now rename.

The same mouse hovering and selection will let you use the 'Home' key to go back to an earlier turn. Each time you hit the Home key you go back one more turn. This is the best way to restore earlier turns.
You can open older saved files, but this is complicated. For now, just use the Home key. If you have a game you just must retrieve in an early version the home key will not allow, I will share with you how I do this.

I can not figure out why you used to have so many saves and now they are gone. My guess is that you used a delete option, but you are saying this is not true. I have never seen a file go to recycle unless I hit delete while on the file. If you need one of these deleted files, just move it back to the Saves folder.

lodilefty

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:57 pm

If you have reached the limit of \Backup(xx) turns [24 IIRC], then next turn you will start to see the oldest turn files in recycle bin.

Also, if you restore previous turn, the current turn files will go to recycle...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

moloko
Conscript

Multiple orders

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:05 am

Is it possible to have a fleet sail to a zone, pick up some tropps and sail to another zone in one turn?

I had a situation where it took a fleet 5 days to sail to where I wanted to pick up some troops, but then I had to wait till next turn to sail to where I wanted to drop them off, which was close by and easily doable in a month's time.

Durk

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:12 am

moloko wrote:Is it possible to have a fleet sail to a zone, pick up some tropps and sail to another zone in one turn?

I had a situation where it took a fleet 5 days to sail to where I wanted to pick up some troops, but then I had to wait till next turn to sail to where I wanted to drop them off, which was close by and easily doable in a month's time.

The short answer is no. If the fleet is not in port or next to the area, units cannot load.
Fleet movement is fine and great and such, but there is no game mechanism to load in, say, movement phase 14. At the beginning or not at all.
This may not always make sense, but what makes it work for me, the ship needs a quick refit once it is in port.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”