KG Erwin
Lieutenant

A "Less Gentlemanly" War

Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:51 am

I'm noting in my latest try at the FIW Colonial version that the brutality has stepped up a notch, in that destruction of villages has become common for the F&I raiders. So, His Majesty's forces will respond in kind, and I'm determined to eradicate the Indian villages on the borders of the southern colonies (Olmugee, Cusseta, Keowee et al). I'm still thinking of the story of "Fort Wilderness" in the movie "The Patriot", which I believe is based on the destruction of Ft William Henry, except in the movie it was the Colonials and their Indian allies which performed the massacre.

I've long joked about recreating this fictional "Fort Wilderness" battle in BOA2, but given the way my campaign is playing out, it could very well happen.

In any case, one should not underestimate the ferocity which was often displayed during our Colonial era's wars. This was why the character of William Martin was reluctant to fight in the Revolutionary War 20 years later.

Also, whether we Americans like to admit it or not, this country was born out of war, and we have a long history of a strong military tradition.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:56 pm

KG Erwin wrote:, whether we Americans like to admit it or not, this country was born out of war, and we have a long history of a strong military tradition.

There are not so much Americans with long military history, as europeans have almost killed them all (directly or not).
The european colonies in America, united in a State, has the shortest history of a military tradition (less than four centuries?) among all the world states.

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:58 pm

ERISS wrote:There are not so much Americans with long military history, as europeans have almost killed them all (directly or not).

If you look at it this way, then they are not Americans either since they crossed the Bering Straits to come to the Americas.

KG Erwin
Lieutenant

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:52 am

Interesting interpretation by ERISS of what being an American is about. Rather than starting a pointless argument, I will simply say that the history of the United States began out of war, and our country does have a strong military tradition in our 200+ year history.

Back to the game, I'm wondering if the British/Colonist strategy of wiping out Native American villages has a downside? I.e., will other tribes rise up against us? If that's the case, then I will need to use some points (cash) to buy their loyalty, or just to keep them neutral. The Six Nations of the Iroquois have already joined us, as they have been attacked by the French and their Indian allies.

I suppose I really should start writing a DAR.

Durk

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:00 am

KG Erwin wrote:
Back to the game, I'm wondering if the British/Colonist strategy of wiping out Native American villages has a downside? I.e., will other tribes rise up against us? If that's the case, then I will need to use some points (cash) to buy their loyalty, or just to keep them neutral. The Six Nations of the Iroquois have already joined us, as they have been attacked by the French and their Indian allies.

The major downside is, indeed, other tribes rise up against anyone who attacks their friends.
I am not certain you can buy their loyalty. I am pretty sure they only change sides due to your military success, and this is only two tribes. The others will resent your troops.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”