lordhoff
Conscript

Still Trying to Get the Hang of This - need some help

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:55 pm

I get all of these replacements but they don't get used. I'm assuming units on depots are somehow repaired but I don't see it happening? In the end, there are dozens of unused replacements.

Some ports are blockaded but there are no enemy ships, units, or ice blockage?

In the Seven Years War campaign, what does one do with the Cuba invasion force? The fleet blockades Havana until supply runs out but the ground units don't do anything except repeatedly fail to retreat (but nothing adverse seems to happen?)? Also, just curious why Iberville Parish is a strategic location? It seems Pontchartrain or New Orleans would be the target in that general area. I don't think Fort Jackson (a predecessor, anyway) was built yet and even if there were already plantations there, wouldn't New Orleans still be the key?

This is just a comment but I find it strange that a supply unit can block an entire army from moving into an area.

Is there a way to evacuate troops if there is no friendly port? Louisburg comes to mind. Lost a lot of good troops there when I couldn't evacuate them when supply ran low.

OK one last unimportant thing about the map: as someone who grew up in Harrisburg, PA, I'm fairly sure the names are reversed for two nearby areas. Harris Ferry should be on the east bank and Cumberland County on the west bank of the Susquehanna River.

Enjoying the game; just have a lot to learn still.

Narwhal

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:10 pm

- Unused replacements

In BoA (different from RoP and other AGEOD games), wounded elements only need supplies to get repaired. The "replacements" are only used if a unit is not full in elements (has less than 4 elements). The unit need to be in a depot / city and / or port (not sure the necessary level of each of those), be full supply AND receive more supply than consumed. Then, a replacement can join the unit.

- Blockaded port

I never saw this. Are you sure it is not an ice blockage ?

- SYW campaign problems :

I don't know in details, but during the French and Indian War (as it is known there), the main front was Canada. Louisiana, including New Orléans, has very, very little settlers, and was seen as completely non-strategic.

- Supply unit blocking an army

Never saw that. What are you talking about ?

- Evacuating :

You don't need a port to put your troops on a boat. It is just faster. In Louisbourg, just bring a transport near the island and send your armies on it. Beware the maximum capacity.

lordhoff
Conscript

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Narwhal wrote:- Unused replacements

In BoA (different from RoP and other AGEOD games), wounded elements only need supplies to get repaired. The "replacements" are only used if a unit is not full in elements (has less than 4 elements). The unit need to be in a depot / city and / or port (not sure the necessary level of each of those), be full supply AND receive more supply than consumed. Then, a replacement can join the unit.

- Blockaded port

I never saw this. Are you sure it is not an ice blockage ?

[color="Red"]A: Could be; may have been looking at the land area and not the river.
[/color]
- SYW campaign problems :

I don't know in details, but during the French and Indian War (as it is known there), the main front was Canada. Louisiana, including New Orléans, has very, very little settlers, and was seen as completely non-strategic.

[color="Red"]A: I understand but one of the strategic targets in the scenario is "Iberville" across the river from New Orleans. It makes little sense to me. As far as the Cuba invasion force, it's called that, appears in the Caribbean, so that is what I tried to use it for. It seems like it might be a bug.
[/color]
- Supply unit blocking an army

Never saw that. What are you talking about ?

[color="Red"]A: road between Quebec and Mt Royal; tried moving an army into an area with a supply unit and the game disallowed it. Moved the unit and it could be done. Perhaps some unit in my stack could only move via road? [/color]

- Evacuating :

You don't need a port to put your troops on a boat. It is just faster. In Louisbourg, just bring a transport near the island and send your armies on it. Beware the maximum capacity.

[color="Red"]A: I couldn't get them to load; probably just some sort of user error. [/color]

Thanks; after about a week, I stopped checking this so I didn't notice your reply.

Durk

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:13 am

lordhoff,
Hope your queries have been answered. If not, let me know.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”