Zaratoughda
Conscript

New: Some Questions

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:26 am

Just picked up BOA2 about a week ago and some questions.

First, on top of the TDM is displayed the command posture, but to the right of that there is oftentimes another symbol that, I can't find documented anywhere and in some cases I am not able to guess what it is.

The first question, are these symbols documented anywhere? If not would it be possible to get a list of what they are?

Second, I have been playing Lord Dunmore's war as the British, and what is given for VPs does not match what is in the rulebook. First, it appears you do not get VPs for destroying enemy units, but you DO get VPs if enemy units surrender to you. Also, the natives get I believe 2 VP whenever they take ANY city or town, and again this I cannot find mentioned anywhere.

So, in this case, does this apply to ALL scenarios or just this one?

Thanks,

Zaratoughda

Mickey3D

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:45 pm

Zaratoughda wrote:First, on top of the TDM is displayed the command posture, but to the right of that there is oftentimes another symbol that, I can't find documented anywhere and in some cases I am not able to guess what it is.

The first question, are these symbols documented anywhere? If not would it be possible to get a list of what they are?

I don't know if there is a list somewhere but here are a few examples with explanation :

[ATTACH]14112[/ATTACH] Unit will try to avoid combat

[ATTACH]14113[/ATTACH] Same as above and unit will merge with another one.

[ATTACH]14114[/ATTACH] Unit is entrenched

[ATTACH]14115[/ATTACH] Unit is entrenched level 2
Attachments
TDM4.jpg
TDM3.jpg
TDM2.jpg
TDM1.jpg

Zaratoughda
Conscript

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Actually, I believe the last one of your examples is entrenchment level 2. If you bring up the Pequot scenario as the Natives, you will find two of their units in the towns that have this symbol, and they are at entrenchment level 2 and I don't believe they have any artillery.

Also, in your second example, the symbol with the red arrows (?) is indicative of intercepting an opposing force. I hadn't seen this one at all then it shows up and I tried experimenting a bit and it would go on when I clicked on a movement destination on top of an opposing force, and reading the manual more realized that is considered to be interepting.

Zaratoughda

Mickey3D

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Zaratoughda wrote:Actually, I believe the last one of your examples is entrenchment level 2. If you bring up the Pequot scenario as the Natives, you will find two of their units in the towns that have this symbol, and they are at entrenchment level 2 and I don't believe they have any artillery.

Level 2 you are right, I hadn't correctly looked at entrenchment level. My initial message has been corrected to avoid misleading readers.

Also, in your second example, the symbol with the red arrows (?) is indicative of intercepting an opposing force.

I hadn't seen this one at all then it shows up and I tried experimenting a bit and it would go on when I clicked on a movement destination on top of an opposing force, and reading the manual more realized that is considered to be interepting.

Indeed it's both : intercepting ennemy and merging with friendly ennemy. The unit I capture was merging with another stack and I didn't want to confuse you.

Zaratoughda
Conscript

Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:25 am

I saw a new one today... forced march. Yeah, pretty straight forward, if you click on the force march butten an identical icon appeards on the TDM.

I still haven't gotten an answer to my VP question. In the Lord Dunmore scenario the Natives are getting 2 VP for every town, city, etc, that they take. This is not mentioned in the rules. Also, it appears that VP are given for units SURRENDERING but not for them otherwise getting destroyed.

In short, the manual appears to be down level with respect to this and, how you get VP is a major item.

Also looked on this board and didn't see anything.

simovitch
Corporal

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:32 am

You should see 1 VP for each strategic town and 2 VP's for each objective in this scenario. The objectives are 'valued' at 3 NM so they are worth 2VP each per Pg 11 of the manual.

You only get points for "elements" destroyed, not men killed. Most miltary units are worth 1 VP per element, but those settlers are worth 5VP per element so you need to protect them.

I played this scenario and the VP's seemed to match what I was experiencing. Hope this helps.

Narwhal

Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:28 am

simovitch wrote:You only get points for "elements" destroyed, not men killed. Most miltary units are worth 1 VP per element, but those settlers are worth 5VP per element so you need to protect them.

Yet another information I did not know (about settlers), even though I played this game for one year now.

Zaratoughda
Conscript

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:00 am

simovitch wrote:You should see 1 VP for each strategic town and 2 VP's for each objective in this scenario. The objectives are 'valued' at 3 NM so they are worth 2VP each per Pg 11 of the manual.

You only get points for "elements" destroyed, not men killed. Most miltary units are worth 1 VP per element, but those settlers are worth 5VP per element so you need to protect them.

I played this scenario and the VP's seemed to match what I was experiencing. Hope this helps.

In this scenario, playing as the British, if the Natives take Sandusky, or Presqu'ile, or Boonville, or Fort Chiswell, and maybe any and all towns, they get a one time VP gain of 2. This is different from as stated in the manual.

Also, I haven't experimented with settlers but from what I tested it appears that you only get VP for elements ONLY IF THEY SURRENDER. If they are wiped out on the field of battle, no VP are gained. This is what I saw but I plan to test this one a bit more.

Zaratoughda

Zaratoughda
Conscript

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:41 am

Played this scenario again and I moved out of Point Pleasant and the natives took it but.... they didn't get any VP for it. So, guess there are just CERTAIN towns outside the strategic towns that they get VP for. Might be just the one's I mentioned in the last post, or maybe a few more down south.

Also, the natives took Fort Henry and destroyed the garrison but just got 2 VP for it. They got that for taking the objective but got nothing for destroying the garrison.

Zaratoughda

tyrex
Colonel

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:35 am

I think it depends on the garnison size. You're not scoring for having destroy 100 mens. You need to do more damage

Zaratoughda
Conscript

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:30 am

Did some more testing...

The Natives get 2 VP each for taking Sandusky, Presqu'ile, and Boonesboro. These are not listed as strategic towns or objectives and are unoccupied by the British and the Natives get can just waltz in and get the 2 VP. Strange, but the AI is smart enough to take these towns (usually) even though they are not listed as anything. However, looks like this situation ONLY applies to these three towns.

The Natives took Fort Chiswell and got 10 points for the Settlers surrendering but that is all. So, no extra VP for taking this town.

I had some settlers attack Mingo as a test. They lost 1 of their 2 elements and the Natives got nothing for this. Then the unit got eliminated and the Natives got 5 VP. It thus appears the Natives get 5 points for destroying these units, but get 10 VP if they get them to surrender.

I moved out of Point Pleasant and the Natives took it and got no VP. But, they left and I moved back in and it looks like I got 2 VP for it. This is kinda strange and am not completely sure about it.

Yeah, interesting to see what is really going on re VP in this scenario, and I wonder how much this all applies to other scenarios.

Zaratoughda

simovitch
Corporal

Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:33 pm

I noticed similar results as well as I played more of the F&IW campaign as French. When a indian village with a few 'braves' elements surrendered I'm notified that I lose 2 VP and an NM point. I guess I understand the 2 VP for the lost elements (?) but to lose an NM point seems a bit over the top. Is it because they are Indians?

tyrex
Colonel

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Zaratoughda wrote:Did some more testing...

The Natives took Fort Chiswell and got 10 points for the Settlers surrendering but that is all. So, no extra VP for taking this town.

I had some settlers attack Mingo as a test. They lost 1 of their 2 elements and the Natives got nothing for this. Then the unit got eliminated and the Natives got 5 VP. It thus appears the Natives get 5 points for destroying these units, but get 10 VP if they get them to surrender.

I moved out of Point Pleasant and the Natives took it and got no VP. But, they left and I moved back in and it looks like I got 2 VP for it. This is kinda strange and am not completely sure about it.

Yeah, interesting to see what is really going on re VP in this scenario, and I wonder how much this all applies to other scenarios.

Zaratoughda

Natives can't control a city. So it's quite normal you've got no point at all.
As for Point Pleasant the 2VP you've owned should be from having looted the area (Natives are quite good at that). It's the most likely sources of VP for the french troops during the 1755 campaign (well at least the easiest one)

Zaratoughda
Conscript

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:37 am

tyrex wrote:Natives can't control a city. So it's quite normal you've got no point at all.
As for Point Pleasant the 2VP you've owned should be from having looted the area (Natives are quite good at that). It's the most likely sources of VP for the french troops during the 1755 campaign (well at least the easiest one)

Uh, I was playing the British.

Yes, the Natives CAN control a city, and in fact start this scenario in control of a number of them... and take cities during the game and get VP for them.

As far as Point Pleasant is concerned, as I was playing the British, I don't think I got any VP for looting the area.

Zaratoughda

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”