truth is life
Conscript

1775 "Canada" Campaign--How to win as Americans?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi all, I just got this game on the 20th and must say it's quite excellent. :thumbsup: Really enjoying it.

I've been playing some of the shorter campaigns to practice how to play and manage my forces without the stress and greater field of one of the grand campaigns. In particular, I've focused on the American side of the 1775 Canadian Invasion campaign, since it:
* Is really short (just a couple of months)
* Presents an interesting historical "what-if?"
* Involves the careful management of limited, generally low-quality forces
* Heavily involves the logistic system and weather concerns
* and pits you against a stronger opponent.

However, I haven't managed to gain a victory (a proper objectives victory) yet. This is perhaps not too surprising given my level of experience and skill, but I have tried it a fairly large number of times (it is quite short after all). It's pretty easy to capture Montreal, and I did manage to get a couple of victories on points after that, but moving past that to Quebec is rather more difficult. Arnold's forces seem to inevitably waste away in the winter, the British forces originally stationed in Montreal seem to have no trouble retreating and harassing you, and the forces stationed in Quebec constantly threaten your hold on Montreal and the surrounding areas if you move your forces out.

So, I wonder if anyone here has done it? If so, how did you win? Especially, how did you deal with the defenders of Montreal, and what did you do with Arnold?

arsan

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi!
I haven’t played that short scenario, but on the long campaign as the Americans i have never managed to take Quebec either. Probably it was an impossible feat historically... and on game :bonk:
Also, the Quebec fortress is dangerous because it exerts a strong ZOC than can give problems to your units if you have to retreat when winter comes and don’t have enough control of some surrounding area. Beware!
But taking Montreal and causing some problems for the British up there is quite feasible and fun, so i like to try it when playing the USA.
The good thing about it is that on the 1775 campaign you will receive 1 or 2 nice Canadian volunteer historical units up there. They are not that strong but it’s cool to have them around. :coeurs:
And when the Brits try to come south from Canada you can bother and delay them a little on the way. But don’t try to hold Montreal… they usually are much too strong. Burn everything you can and retire to Ticonderoga.

Don’t be scared of jumping on the long campaigns. They are very playable. On 1775 you start with little forces besides the ones at Boston siege and things will evolve progressively, letting you get hold of what’s going on. But be prepared to be swamped by the Redcoats in 1776/77 :blink: :D
Hope you enjoy it!
Cheers

truth is life
Conscript

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:26 pm

arsan wrote:Don’t be scared of jumping on the long campaigns. They are very playable. On 1775 you start with little forces besides the ones at Boston siege and things will evolve progressively, letting you get hold of what’s going on. But be prepared to be swamped by the Redcoats in 1776/77 :blink: :D
Hope you enjoy it!
Cheers

Oh I have! I have a 1775 campaign going right now, just very slowly. I haven't actually gotten to '76 yet :D . I'm just doing these little campaigns to get a hang of the interface, troop movement, etc. where I don't need to worry about forgetting Georgia for four turns and having it get overrun by Redcoats :bonk: . It also "helps" that I don't have all that much time to play, and, well, I can finish a short campaign in a weekend, whereas a long one... :(

The Magi
Conscript

Sun May 09, 2010 12:33 pm

I read somwhere but I can't find it. Does the French in 1755 get bonus VP's for raiding British towns and such with Raider+Indian Ally units?
========================================
Ageod Games Owned: Pride of Nations, American Civil War - The Blue and the Gray, BoA2: Wars in America, and Rise of Prussia ========================================

arsan

Sun May 09, 2010 2:17 pm

IIRC every British region you pillage will give you 1 point. I think its on the manual.
But this its just in the 1755 campaigns. This don't work on 1775 scenarios.
Cheers

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”