phantomfeather
Corporal

Two Things

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:00 pm

I have two issues that I need a little help to understand. First, I finally achieved (I thought) gaining all the strategic cities in the 1775 Campaign against AI. Unfortunately, when the last turn was over I'm told I didn't win outright. It showed Ft. Detroit with a red symbol with crossed swords. I GUESS this means I have the fort but the area must still be heavily British. I captured it with Morgan, Clark & Sevier & pretty much left them there. What Gives?

The second issue is I lost Philadelphia in a PBEM game. This was 1775 grand campaign. I took a h*ll of a hit in NM.It's my opinion that the hit is way too high. In most European wars when a combatant lost its capital it was finished. The American Revolution was an anomaly in that time. The Colonists did suffer a morale loss, I'm sure. But it wasn't that high in reality. The British held Philadelphia for a considerable amount of time. It's only my opinion but I think this should be adjusted to a lesser hit. :(

lodilefty

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:54 pm

phantomfeather wrote:I have two issues that I need a little help to understand. First, I finally achieved (I thought) gaining all the strategic cities in the 1775 Campaign against AI. Unfortunately, when the last turn was over I'm told I didn't win outright. It showed Ft. Detroit with a red symbol with crossed swords. I GUESS this means I have the fort but the area must still be heavily British. I captured it with Morgan, Clark & Sevier & pretty much left them there. What Gives?

The second issue is I lost Philadelphia in a PBEM game. This was 1775 grand campaign. I took a h*ll of a hit in NM.It's my opinion that the hit is way too high. In most European wars when a combatant lost its capital it was finished. The American Revolution was an anomaly in that time. The Colonists did suffer a morale loss, I'm sure. But it wasn't that high in reality. The British held Philadelphia for a considerable amount of time. It's only my opinion but I think this should be adjusted to a lesser hit. :(

Detroit must have Loyalty for your side <50% to display the 'red cross'. For strategic cities in such regions, you'll need a Regular Infantry [not Militia, Raiders, Light Infanty, etc] to gain full VP control. Of course, as the Loyalty shifts in your favor, the region can then be controlled fully without Regulars.

The Philadelphia NM 'hit' has been noted, and will be adressed in the next patch. It's the capital, and thus incurs greater NM 'hit' than a 'normal'Objective loss.
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

arsan

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:05 pm

phantomfeather wrote:I have two issues that I need a little help to understand. First, I finally achieved (I thought) gaining all the strategic cities in the 1775 Campaign against AI. Unfortunately, when the last turn was over I'm told I didn't win outright. It showed Ft. Detroit with a red symbol with crossed swords. I GUESS this means I have the fort but the area must still be heavily British. I captured it with Morgan, Clark & Sevier & pretty much left them there. What Gives?

Hi!
The crossed sabers thing on the Objectives page at the ledger means the control is disputed.
If the region is more than 50% loyal to you its enough to just take the town to control it. You can even leave it ungarrisoned and you will still be credited with controlling it.
But if you have less than 50% loyalty you need to garrison the city with at least a regular unit to get credit of his control. It simulates the need to military occupy the town so the hostile populace is kept in line. :wacko:

I guess your problem is that you currently occupy it just with irregular or militia forces. You need to send there a continental unit or any other regular line troop you may have (cavalry, light infantry, French regulars...). Arty, supply and other support units won't do the trick.

Regarding Philadelphia, the problem was recently noticed and Lodilefty has already tweaked the game so the NM lose is much less (only 5 NM instead of 25 IIRC). He have even added some neat USA capital move events in addition :coeurs:
It's already in the beta patch we are testing and should hopefully be released soon :thumbsup:

Cheers!

arsan

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Arg! :bonk:
Lodi answered faster than me AGAIN!! :grr: :D

phantomfeather
Corporal

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:27 pm

Hey, thanks guys. I was pretty sure the red flag meant control was disputed (less than 50%). I didn't realize, though I was aware that I had read something about regular units being in the area (I must be going senile!).

I'm glad to hear about the Philadelphia NM hit being modified but 5NM might be low. But that's not my decision.

Most of all, guys, keep up the good work!!! :thumbsup:

squarian
Brigadier General

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:34 pm

We all know Philly didn't have the status of a real capital, simply one of several important colonial cities (the others being Boston, New York, Charleston - did I miss any?) the loss of any of which would have been (was) a morale blow, but only because they were important cities, not because they were symbolic of nationhood, seat of government, etc.

The seat of government was wherever the Continental Congress happened to be meeting at the moment. What would be really nice for the AmRev scenario would be a unit like the "Merchandise" units which appear in other scenarios, representing Congress. It would need to be movable and fairly elusive, but if caught and destroyed (meaning many/most of the delegates were rounded up) American NM would take a very sizable hit.

Just a thought.

Anyway, glad to hear about the beta - looking forward to it.

phantomfeather
Corporal

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:48 am

Hey, Arsan, don't sweat it. Lodilefty is FAST.
You both made things a little clearer. But I gotta say this : It ain't, I mean isn't, easy to maneuver regular units through all that wilderness. I tried once & watched them starve to death. I can't even imagine taking a supply wagon throug that.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”