LordLefty
Conscript

BOA2 - FAQs

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:40 pm

BOA2 Players:

You asked for it! So here is my humble attempt at organizing a BOA2 FAQ thread! :D Will continue to add as more Q&A's get answered! :thumbsup:

Birth of America 2 - Frequently Asked Questions... and Answers!

Combat

Should combat units avoid attacking in Wilderness or Mountains because of the severe attacker penalty?

If avoidable (which in most cases its not ) generally its better to not attack in difficult terrain (wilderness, mountains, marches, wooded areas...) But as everything, it depends of the situation and several factors besides the basic attackk/defense bonus. Here are other considerations:

Unit type: Regulars, cavalry and artillery should fight as much as possible in clear terrain. Irregular forces (Indians, rangers, partisans) thrive in difficult terrain and can give even trained regulars many problems there, as they have a bonus on mostly any terrain but clear. Irregulars, attacking or defending in wilderness is the way to go if they will fight mostly regular troops.

Range: Battles in difficult terrain start as shorter firing range (no clear fields of fire). This is bad for artillery, but good if you have no artillery on your side.

Frontage: This is the max number of elements that can participate in battle at once. Let's say in the first line of battle. Frontage value depends on terrain, weather, type of unit... Big massive battles with lots of units fighting each other at once can happen only on clear terrain. On difficult terrains, the frontage is limited. This is an advantage to small armies attacking or defending against bigger armies, as the big one will not be able to bear all their numbers on the attack at once (but they are still important as the second line element will cover the gaps created by retiring or destroyed first line elements. Besides, in difficult terrains, irregular units take less frontage than regulars, so more can fight at once. Another advantage for irregulars when used on their preferred terrains.

Even though combat units don't get a defense bonus in Wilderness or Mountains, is it a good tactic to defend in these regions since there is a severe attacker penalty? But what happens if your forces are defending, get attacked in either a Wilderness or Mountains region... and then counter attack that turn? Do your units also suffer the severe attacker penalty?

Yes. A unit on offensive stance will not get the terrain benefits. Only the defensive one will. It does not matter that your forces are already in the region. If you are on offensive, you are considered as seeking the enemy and attacking him. Notice that both sides can be on offensive and neither get the terrain defensive benefits.

Is one of the better defense positions to be defending behind a Major River / Lake in a Woods region?

Rivers are very good areas to set up a defending line. Regarding the woods as perfect defending terrain, it depends: If you have plenty of artillery, calvary and regulars, it is better to defend on clear terrain behind a river, specially if the enemy is strong on irregulars.

What are the optimal ROE settings for a small force? Should a small force avoid combat when moving?

It completely depends of the situation. If you risk finding bigger and stronger forces on you way, evade. If your force can be expected to catch some weak force, don't evade. In general, move on defensive as it costs you less cohesion than on offensive and it's safer if you stumble on an enemy force (defensive can use terrain to their advantage). On very safe areas (no enemies around) you can move on passive for still less cohesion loss.

Should Indian units always have their ROE setting for ambush?

Ambush only works for stationary units. So if you are moving around it won't do anything. Its really tricky to manage an ambush.

If you don't have a specific task for a force, is it better to remain "inside" a structure? Or outside a structure, so it can retreat if attacked by a superior force?

I use to leave small garrisons inside (safer against small raids) but bigger field armies and irregular forces outside so they don't get trapped. Of course, having a fort or fortress makes it more interesting to stay inside, but be prepared for a siege or a "do or die" battle with a force inside a structure if a strong enough enemy force attacks.

How do you calculate the relative strength of an enemy unit - especially with fog of war = ON?

Tooltips will give you different levels of information depending of your detection value. Use Indians, spies or irregulars on adjacent regions (and have ROE on evade combat!) to have better information. The little colored balls on the base of the stack will give you general information about size (number of balls) and health (color of balls). With the supply filter on, the color will reveal their supply status (green good/red bad).

Forts

What happens; in game terms, when you order a force to sally out of a fort?

When you order a garrison to sally out, it means they will sally BUT ONLY if and when an outside friendly force arrives in the region and attacks the besiegers. So its basically a way to coordinate your units inside a structure with an eventual rescue force so they join strength in evicting the enemy from the region. If there is no friendly "rescue force" arriving during the turn the sally button will have no effect. To actually order your garrison to sally out by themselves and attack the besiegers you simply have to drag the stack out of the structure and on the same region with an offensive posture.

Leaders

Is it "safe" for Leaders to travel alone? Or should Leaders always be stacked with combat units?

Yes, its pretty safe. They have good evasion rating so they can cross enemy controlled and occupied regions with little chance of capture/death (like 95% chance or so). remember to always put them on evade combat. I have them stacked with troops except when I want them to travel far away to maybe lead another force in a different colony. They move much faster alone.

What are the restrictions on promoting a Leader?

You can only promote a Leader if he has seniority of 1 or 2...or if he has gained a certain amount of seniority in a single turn. If you don't promote them, they will lose a seniority point each turn that you don't promote them.

Map

Is Boston a region?

Yes. Boston is a normal region, but small. This region was added with the 1.04 patch and the surrounding regions reorganized to better represent the Boston siege situation.

Miscellaneous

What are naval stores and sugar supplies?

Naval stores and sugar supplies are not mobile. They are there for you to protect and the enemy to take / destroy and gain victory points from them. Not very important, just a little flavor thing.

Does BOA2 operate with simultaneous turns like BOA?

Yes. It uses the same engine, AGE: Adapative Game Engine.

Does BOA2 have a full campaign?

French and Indian Wars 1755-1763
American Revolution 1775-1783
War of 1812 1812-1815

+ many shorter scenarios

Movement

When should a unit attempt a forced march?

Obviously, when you are on a hurry to arrive somewhere. In game terms I use it mostly when a stack planned move takes 31-35 days, so, if successful, I will end my movement under 30 days and arrive at my objective in just one turn. The % success change depends of the unit type/quality. Usually militia/wagons and the like won't make it. Use it mostly with light forces that have high % chance of archiving it.

When marching a force to contact with the enemy, is it better to move your force short distances (maybe just 1-2 adjacent land areas) in order to maintain cohesion?

Moving reduces cohesion and combat power. Sometimes its better to arrive sooner but weaker than later but stronger. In general, let the troops rest from time to time or move in 15-20 days long movement so they are fit enough for a battle.

Can calvary only charge in clear terrain?

Calvary may charge in clear, plain, desert, and any open terrain.

Supply

Is it wasteful to have a force with two (2) supply wagons?

Each supply unit carries a fixed supply amount that you force will consume. So having 2, 3 or more will give them more turns without starving or the need to resupply. So again it depends of the force size, your number of wagons and the force mission.

I need a quick overview on how supply works?

The Supply system in BOA2 is one where there is no supply network. Each supply source is a bit like an island generating supply for the region it is in and the adjacent regions. If you want to be resupplied, you have to fall back to such a region, and that's all. You can consider wagons as your 'manually handled supply network' though.

Zones of Control (ZOC)

I noticed when I play sometimes that on the normal map view a province will be colored red?

That must be a ZOC (Zone of control). The stack currently selected cannot enter the red zones because an enemy stack or fort in the same region is exerting a ZOC on him that won't let him go deeper into enemy territory. But they can move to surrounding regions where they already have enough military control. Light units (Indians and the like) have high evade and are not usually affected by ZOC. Check page 24 on the manual (paragraph 7.5) for full information.
Your most obedient servant, [SIZE="4"][font="Comic Sans MS"]LordLefty [/font][/size] ("Mike")

"The die is now cast; the colonies must either submit or triumph... we must not retreat." - King George III

lodilefty

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:11 pm

This has been added to the AGE Wiki :thumbsup:

A big belated Thanks to "Mike" :)

[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Users: if you prefer posting here vs. adding to the Wiki, please feel free to do so! We can then move good question/answers to the Wiki!!![/size][/color]
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

BigDuke66
General

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:53 am

Does BOA2 cover everything that was in BOA1?
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Durk

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:56 am

BigDuke66 wrote:Does BOA2 cover everything that was in BOA1?

Yes, plus more.

Math2
Conscript

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:14 pm

This should be in the FAQ....How do I patch the game?

Carnium

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Download the patch from HERE and run it.

major snafu
Corporal

Re:

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:30 pm

Carnium wrote:Download the patch from HERE and run it.

link is dead

Carnium

Re: Re:

Tue May 01, 2018 2:26 am

major snafu wrote:
Carnium wrote:Download the patch from HERE and run it.

link is dead

Such things happen when you resurrect a 5 YEAR old post!

This should work:
ftp://ftp.ageod.com/pub/WIA/Patch_WIA_v1.10e.zip

then two QF (quick fixes) on top of that:
download/file.php?id=32838
download/file.php?id=20705

Hobbes

Re: BOA2 - FAQs

Sat May 22, 2021 9:31 pm

Hi folks, just getting into this wonderful game once again. I have only just found the briliant AAR between Narwhal and Loki on the Paradox forum. It's been a great help to remember how to play the game and I've learnt an awful lot about the game I didn't know before. The AAR is also very entertaining and played with great humour and joie de vivre!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/th ... ar.545321/

I copied all the great tips into one place for myself and thought I may as well dump that here so they can be seen in one thread in case they help anyone else. A few may be out of date as the game has had a few patches since and I changed one or two things due to OCD :siffle:

Some of these tips are better seen with the link above as I haven't included any images.

For more specific information about the French and Indian War - the scenario Narwhal and Loki are playing, take a look at the start of their Paradox post. In fact if you want to see these tips at their best and most informative read their AAR.

Units main characteristics
Troops are defined by a lot of characteristics, but there is only a few you need to follow.
Name : Well, that’s the name of the unit.
Type : The main type of units. Here it is infantry (the game uses NATO symbol). Note that you can have several types of elements in an unit, you will only see the main type here.
Cohesion : How exhausted the unit is. The higher, the better. It is an average of all the elements of the unit, and each element has its maximum (militiamen’s maximum is lower than highlanders’ maximum). Marching, fighting, or a long transport by boat will deplete this bar. Not doing anything will allow it to recover.
Health : How many men are left in the unit, compared to the maximum men possible for the current number of elements in the units. Note that French elements are usually twice more numerous than English elements. It gets depleted by just about everything, including just minding your own business in a fort, due to desertion and illness. It also recovers when an army receive more supplies than it can use. The rest of the supplies is used to “recruit” new men. This means that a simple garrison will not lose men due to new men arriving to replace the “accidents”, but if you put a full army in a small fort, you will (slowly) lose men.
Power : An estimation of the strength of a unit in normal situation for their current health / cohesion. You can trust it, more or less, in open terrain. In difficult terrain, remember that your light infantry has little to no malus, while even though they look “powerful” the regulars will fight at half their power, or less, and you guns can be useless in mountains.
Elements: Number of elements in the unit (in green), and the maximum (in white). Cavalry has a maximum of 3 elements per unit for instance, and some light units 2 only.
Origin : Militias fight much worse when not in their native region. This allows you to know where the unit comes from, if the name is not enough. VR stands for Virgina
Star : Edit : It is the amount of experience the unit has.

Siege
There are two ways to take an enemy structure :
Assault (even if the enemy fort is not breached).
You can give the order to your troops to assault the enemy structure – even if the enemy fort is not breached. Unfortunately, the defenders will have a bonus of defense, and will fight with despair as they have no way out. Hence, it is to avoid if you don’t have numerical absolute superiority. If they are protected by a fortress, they will also have a huge bonus. A handful of militiamen can resist a much stronger force if they try an assault.
Note that besieging a city with artillery can create “breaches” in the wall, helping tremendously with the assault.

When an army is besieging an enemy city, the city does not receive supplies but of course carries on eating whatever it has available. When the besieged units have no more supply, they surrender. But this can take a lots of time. If the city has a port, you also need to blockade it (or hope that the port is blocked by ice in winter in the Northern ports)
Note that if the besieging army is stronger than the besieged army, there is a small chance each turn, if the supply runs low (but before there are no more supply) that the enemy army surrenders before the end.
During a siege, each turn, the attacker runs a test, with a bonus depending on the size of his army, the presence of guns (esp. siege guns), the presence of military engineers and a few other bonus I won’t get into, versus a defender test with bonus of his own. If the attacker “wins”, the city gains one level of breach, receive damage, a combination of those, or just surrenders.

Leaders 
So who gets to lead, if only the leader’s ratings are taken into account. That’s where “seniority” plays a role. The leader with the most stars, and between them, the leader with the highest seniority leads. Note that the lower the seniority number,
the higher the seniority, so when I say high seniority, it means the leader has a small seniority number (say between 1 and 10) and gets to command in most case.
Leaders can gain or lose seniority when they win or lose battles. So most of the time you are stuck with poor leaders at the beginning, but as they get defeated, they get replaced with better leaders.
A leader who has improved his seniority number by 4 since the beginning (the starting seniority is in brackets) can get a promotion and gain one-star. Be wary, though, that some other leaders of their (former) ranks might not be happy if they had a better seniority. For instance, promoting a leader that went from 20 to 10 in seniority might upset a leader that started at 5 in seniority and stayed there). This will cost you Victory Points, and even in a few cases National Morale (at least in Rise of Prussia – can’t remember if it can happen in WiA).
Finally, the politic rating shows how well connected the character is. It gives you an idea of how many Victory Points you are going to lose if the leader is captured, dies or get out promoted by someone with lower seniority. Not really important, but AGEOD wanted to track that somewhere, so losing Washington during the Independence war has some impact…
Note that many leaders have traits. Braddock traits are all negative : he is reckless (he does no disengage when he should), has a poor spy network (I get poor situation on the enemy when his army is doing the scouting, as is the case right now) and has dispersed moves (it does NOT mean he moves slowly but that he is easy to spot). Due to this last trait, I know the French have seen him. Of course, due to the second trait, I might completely underestimate the opposition in Duquesne

Supply
Each element (except leaders) in your army consumes supplies. Even your supply wagons consume supplies each turn. Supply can be counted in two ways – in supply units and in turns (months) – beware, I will have to use both way of counting.
The maximum supply a unit can carry depends on the unit :
- Most regular units (incl. cavalry, guns but not siege guns for some reason) can carry 2 months (turns) of supply.
- Irregulars can usually carry 4 months of supply
- Indians can carry no less than 6 months of supply. If you count the fact that they are usually in small groups, and thus able to feed on the land, it means you don’t need to follow supply for your Indians in most of the cases.
Note that this does not mean that two regular units can carry the same amount of supply, or even that Indians carry more supply units : but for a given type a unit consuming more supplies carries more supplies). For instance, let me show you some supply consumption, and show you where to see the current level of supply by the same occasion:
A supply wagon element can carry 16 bonus supply units, for a total of 64 supply units for a complete supply wagon unit (4 elements - I hope it is clear). This means that the impact of a unit of supply wagon in a large army will be minimal (1 month ?) but it will adds up with more supply wagons. 
Units in a province with allied supply wagons will first “eat” the supply units of the wagons, then their own, even if the wagons are not in their stack. Let me show you this :
Supply wagons and transports work the same way in this regard. Not bateaux, though.

What happens if you are short on supply
Short on supply but still something to eat : nothing.
Not enough supply : Your army loses its combat efficiency very quickly, and receive hits. The first turn, as only you probably only have a small deficit of supply in your stack, not much. The following turns – much more.

How to produce supply
Supplies is produced in (almost) every province. The supply produced every turn corresponds to the supply level of a province, with the rule 1 supply level = 5 supply units produced per turn. 
You can see the supply level of a province by hovering the mouse over it. Here is the production per structure ; note that both the manual AND the wiki are wrong :
- The countryside of a region generates 0-6 supply levels (0-30 supply units), depending on civilization level, weather and looted status. It can go up to 12 in rare circumstances (Manhattan for instance). When enemy armies co-exist in the same region, the region’s supply is distributed proportionally to the percentage of military control.
- Cities generate 3 supply levels (15 supply units) per level,
- Indian villages generate 2 supply levels (10 supply units),
- Ports generate 2 supply levels (10 supply) units per level, except if blockaded,
- Stockades generate 2 supply levels (10 supply),
- Forts generate 3 supply levels (15 supply) per level,
- Depots generate either 10 or 20 supply levels (50 or 100 supply units) per level. I don’t know when it is 10, and when it is 20 (I think that depots existing since the beginning of the campaign can be set to 20 instead to 10 if the dev feels like it). Remember you can create depots anywhere by sacrificing 8 elements of supply wagons or transport ships (including bateaux). Basically, large armies WILL need depots to operate.
Example: Albany produces 3*3 (city) + 1*2 (harbor) + 1*20 (depot) + 1*3 (fort)+3 (countryside) = 37 supply levels = 185 supply units.

- Loyalty of a region has an impact. Supply production is multiplied according to the Loyalty percentage of the region plus 50%. For example, if a region is completely loyal (i.e. 100% loyalty) the base supply production in the region would be multiplied by 1.5. Only the independence war scenarios have a loyalty status for provinces.
- National Morale. For every two NM above 100, the amount of supplies produced by a supply source is increased by 1%. For every two NM below 100, the amount of supplies produced by a supply source is reduced by 1%. Impact is minimal.

How are supplies consumed
Units consume supply at the beginning of the turn.
All units will consume units the following ways :
- First, all the supplies in the stack are pooled
- Then, the stack will use the supply units generated by the STRUCTURES controlled in the province they are in.
- Then, if it is not enough to replenish the supply level, the stack will use the supply units generated by the STRUCTURES controlled in the (immediately) neighbouring provinces (provided you control the neighbouring provinces as well – if a city is besieged, it won’t help, of course).
In both cases, supply units received above those needed for the turn will be used to replenish the supply level.
- If there are still not enough supplies, the unit will make the “countryside” contribute. Each unit (starting with the one with the highest "patrol" value) needing to find supply will do a “foraging” test (high chance to succeed in a rich province, little chance to succeed in a frozen mountain). If it succeeds, it is fed for the turn. If it fails, the region is “looted” (red circle with fire, which may disappear each spring). No more foraging test is possible on a looted province, which produces no more supply. There are some difference in the looting rules whether you are "looting" your own territory or not, but let's forget that.
On looting, please note that Indians and I believe Raiders always loot the enemy provinces they enter into, except if said province is protected by an army not in a structure. Also note that, according to the Manual “In addition, in the French And Indian War scenarios, the French gain VPs through looting.”

Go in supply mode :
- Each crate represents three supply levels. As a supply level = 5 supply units are produced each turn, 1 crate = 15 supply units. Note that in most case, if there is a structure, the first crate is hidden by it.
Remember that in WiA, supplies not carried by troops / wagons do not stock up in cities. It is lost.
- The color shows whether the province produces more supplies than is consumed (in green – in this case you will also see crates), produces more or less the same quantity (in yellow), or produces less supplies than is consumed (in red). Note that obviously if the color is red but your army carries lots of supplies, it is no problem… for now. If you have the full Continental Army waiting in Albany, chances are that you see both a lots of crates and a red color (all those crates are not enough).

With these tools, just have a good idea of what province produces how much, and who is lacking supply in your forces – and then forgot everything I said before.
A few extra considerations on supply :
- Boats work the same way as land forces (for instance, they can draw supply from neighbouring land province), but water provides no supply at all (obviously).
- A besieged fort / depot / city produces no supply, a blocked port (by winter or by an enemy force) produces no supply. You can have a besieged fort with an unblocked port (thus lowering the impact of the siege) or the opposite. Units in landlocked / blockaded structures will eat through their supply every month, then surrender. I hope you have some supply wagons, or a relieving force !
- When a stack with a supply wagons is hit by bad weather (in winter most of the time), the stack will trade supply units from the wagons (and only the wagons) to receive less (down to none) damages.
- Having much more supply than needed can be very important, as it allows your element to recover their strength (“number of men”). If you want to compensate for the inevitable attrition due to time (i.e. : illness, desertion, …) you will need at least a small excess in supply.

Military Control
Military Control (MC) is the oil in the mechanism of Wars in America. You don’t need to understand it, you don’t often use it, but it can explain how quite a few things work in the game.
To see military control, just hover the cursor over a province.

How do you gain military control
There are two ways to gain military control :
- When an army is in a province with a non passive posture, it will gradually gain military control. A large army will gain 100% military control in one month easily, not a smaller one. When in Defensive posture, an army does NOT gain military control.
- In the War of Independence campaigns (not in the French and Indian War one), Military Control will increase for the player with the most loyalty in the region. Hence, without interference, a province with 45% English Loyalty 55% Rebel, will have 100% Rebel MC at some point(it will be very long).
Who controls the structure has NO impact on Military Control. When besieging, you will often have 100% MC on the province, but won’t own the structure… yet.
That was my mistake. I switched to “defensive posture” too early, and thus my MC control did not progress any further despite the siege.

What are the effects of Military Control
There are some key levels :
- A force that enters a region in which it has less than 6% military control will automatically assume offensive posture (even if the leader is inactive. In case of battle, there will be huge penalties to him, so avoid forcing battle this way).
- A force will never retreat to an area on which the player has less than 6% MC.
- A force that cross or land (amphibious assault) in a region on which it has more than 10% MC will have no penalty – the troops cross where they control the other side of the river.

There are also graduate impact :
- Cohesion cost for movement is increased in territory on which you have little MC
- You have some detection capacity with MC. The more MC you have, the better you see.
- If an enemy army of a decent size or a fort is in the same province as one of your stacks, your movement may be blocked on province which you don’t have MC on. The lower the MC, the higher the chances that you are blocked.

The Iroquois in the French-Indian War
I have been looking at the event files, and I believe I can make the following interpretation (if it is not very clear, so I can be wrong). Some events in-game give hints, but it is not very clear.
The Iroquois South of the Ontario are locked for the English player as long as either :
- The French attack one of their villages, or
- A fort is built in Oswego

The game tells you that If you put some troops in Oswego, a fort will automatically built.
The Iroquois South of the Ontario will switch side to the French if
- The English Fort Oswego falls, or
- The French build a Fort in Oswego (which can be done if they have Military Control over the province for a few turns), or
- Albany falls and there is no English fort in Oswego.

In my situation, I could make it harder for the French to force the Iroquois reversal of alliance by not making a Fort, but then I like to be fair-play and not to exploit the events. Also, I need Oswego to send boats over the Ontario.
The Cherokee rules for alliance switching is much, much more complex (they have got one event file for them alone, of half the size of the generic event file which includes the Iroquois events), so unfortunately I cannot give you more information on them.

Recovering hits
First, let’s define strength points or hits :

Strength Points (which I usually improperly call hits, hits actually being what makes you lose Strength Points) is actually a sort of health Point. The number of Strength Points lost is indicated in red, in the small box in the lowermost-right corner. Example :
A strength Point represents a certain number of men (+ horses + guns if applicable) in a unit. Most English infantry units have 120 (regular) to 160 (colonial) men, while most French units have 200 men. Most elements have 8 to 10 strength points,
so a hit represents 20 French men, but only 12/16 English men. An Indian element is always 180 men and 6 hits (30 men per hit).

The number of men in itself has no game impact, but of course French units were coded as better to compensate for this (and also because men-for-men, French soldiers were better in that era).
The number of strength points left is very important. An element with half the strength points fight at half the efficiency, period.

When an element arrives at 0 hits, it is eliminated.

How do you recover hits
To recover hits, you need the following conditions to be true :
- The stack that includes the elements is in a province with a unbesieged structure you control
- The unit receives supplies in excess to what it consumes
- The units is fully supplied, or the supplies it will receive at the end of the turn will be enough to be fully supplied next turn
- The unit is not moving

If this happens, the excess supplies received will be converted for freein recovered strength points. I don’t know how much supply points you need per unit. I just noticed that the more you have, the quicker you recover.

The maximum number of hits you can recover (compared to maximum possible for your units) follow these rules (non-cumulative) :
- 10% in a region with an town – barely enough to enough to recover from natural attrition, so it will look like you have not recovered anything
- 20% in a region with a city size 4 or more
- 30% in a region with Depot
- For naval units, 5% per size of the harbor.

Of course, this system is quite realistic for everything… except Indians. You don’t really see replacement Indians being recruited in New York. But maybe you can consider it is new braves being trained and refurbished by the British in Albany.
You don’t need to have any replacements in the replacement pool to recover hits.

How do I replace destroyed elements
When an element is destroyed, you cannot recover hit by having your unit rest in some depot or city.
When a unit is not at its maximum of elements, it can gain one extra element if the following conditions are true :

- It is in a city level 4 or more or in a depot
- It is fully supplied
- There are replacements available. Those are quite rare.

You see the replacement available by pressing F2 :

How do I get more replacements
Some extra elements arrive twice a year. You can also buy them by EP (F3-F4).

Cohesion
Strategic places are not strategic because they allow you to have more resources or to limit the enemy resources, places are strategic because they are a jump point before more conquests. And you need these “jump-points” because if your army moves for too long without resting, it will arrive with no cohesion and be destroyed.
According to the manual, “cohesion indicates an element’s current number of Cohesion points. Cohesion points are an expression of an element’s combat readiness and impact on most game functions (morale, speed, combat efficiency, etc.). The higher the value, the more able an element is to conduct military operations.”
The game gives you (green bar) the “average cohesion” of the unit, but remember each element has individual cohesion value.

What is the effect of cohesion
Cohesion mostly has an impact on the following elements :
- Speed (on the map) – a unit with low average cohesion will move very slowly. Remember that an army moves at the speed of its slowest element, so if one of your gun has little cohesion in our army, it will dictates the pace of everyone.
The penalty applied to all elements of a unit is half the difference between max cohesion and current average cohesion (not by element) of the unit.

Let’s take an example. This colonial infantry (speed coefficient : 100) has 100% (60/60) max cohesion. It takes it 8 days to go from Fort Duquesne to Monaca.
Given that a regular infantry in Braddock’s army has 25% (21/80) cohesion and the same speed (speed coef. 100) , how long would it take it to go from Monaca to Fort Duquesne.

Answer : Its speed penalty is 75%/2 = 37,5%, so it should take it 8 days * (1+37,5%) = 11 days.

- On combat : a unit with less cohesion will fight with a “power” corresponding to the ratio of its current cohesion compared to the maximum, ergo a unit with 25% cohesion will fight with only 25% quality
When a unit receives damage in combat, the chance to rout depends on its cohesion. A unit with no cohesion will actually not engage, a unit with 1% cohesion will rout immediately if it receives a “hit”.

How much cohesion does a unit lose / gain per day
Obviously, It depends on what it does…

For land troops :
- Marching on a road with regular infantry takes away 1 cohesion / day. This is modified by the terrain, the weather, the posture (offensve takes more, then defensive, then passive), the military control of the region, and whether your army is in force march or not.
For cavalry, it is going to cost less per day on normal terrain (0,5/day), but more in forest. Guns will have an horrible time in difficult terrain, while irregular / Indians will be just fine (I think it is like 0 cohesion loss when Indians are moving).
- Units in a boat will lose cohesion very slowly, whether the boat is moving or not, except if hit by a storm, in which case it will lose cohesion fast.
- Battle will lower cohesion. Hard to say how much – it all depends on how tough was the battle, whether the unit committed from the beginning or never. According to the manual, you lose 2 CP per round of combat, plus 5 to 15 more points per hit received. Remember it is per element, so you have to divide this number by four when you want to calculate the impact on average cohesion on a 4 elements unit.
- Units standing idle will recover cohesion according by 1,00 points / day, with the following modifiers :
+1.00 CPs: Unit is stationary in Passive Posture. (PASSIVE, not DEFENSIVE)
+1,00 CPs: Unit is stationary and inside a structure. If the unit is in DEFENSIVE posture, it will still gain the “PASSIVE” posture bonus of +1,00 CPs/day.
+0.50 CPs: Unit is stationary and located in a loyal region according to the manual. Cannot check in the FIW since there is no loyalty system
+0.50 CPs: Unit is a stationary Irregular unit.
−0.50 CPs: Unit is in Offensive Posture.
Terrain and weather will bring more modifiers.

It is important to remember the impact of posture on the cohesion recovery. Offensive posture is to be avoided.

For boats :
- Ships will lose cohesion per day sailing, whether they are moving or not. It depends on the weather. Fair weather will make a light ship (brig, frigates) or bateaux lose 0,5 cohesion per day, but 0 for larger ship. Bad weather will ramp that number up quickly.
- Once again, offensive posture will have more effect then defensive, for some reason.
- Boats recover 2 CP per day in an harbor, flat.

Other things to know about cohesion
National Morale has an impact on max cohesion : each point above 100 in NM increases max cohesion of every unit by 1%. Every point below 100 diminishes it by 1%.
Every level of experience, an element gain +10 max cohesion.

How do I use that
Don’t try to remember the number, just remember what has what effect. And remember the importance of posture.
Also remember that most units have between 40 (militia) and 80 (elite troops) cohesion. This means that your militia will be completely exhausted after 1 turn of march, and your elite troops after 2-3 months of march. It also adds up – after one month of march, 
your army will march must slower, thus increasing the time to reach the objective and hence the cohesion lost.
If you have guns, those will be completely useless after one month of march in difficult terrain, and will completely cripple the speed of your army – which will march at 50% of the gun base speed.
An army needs in general two months to recover its cohesion in the wilderness… if the weather is good… which you could not plan 2 months in advance when you started your march.
Ergo, if a target is at more than 1 month of march in difficult terrain, or 2 months of march in “easy terrain”, you will most probably have to go for an “intermediary” target, or build a fort / depot on the way, hoping not to be jumped at by the enemy light troops.
Alternatively, do a all-light force ; but it won’t be enough to take moderately protected strong points.

Hide, Detection and Evade
Hide obviously tells you how sneaky an army is. The higher the hide value, the better. The hide value of an army is equal to the lowest hide value of the stack (no point being all sneaky if you have militiamen partying all night next to you), to which a few modifiers will be applied :
+1 if the force if the force is small. Small is define as being an army either less than 4 units strong or less than 4 command point worth. [The manual says AND/OR – I did not bother to check if it is true]
+1 if the force is in “passive” mode (green icon). Does not stack with the small force bonus above.
+1 in covered terrain (marshes, woodlands, mountain, …)
+1 if the weather is bad.
- 1 if the unit is large (more than 9 units strong or more than 9 command points worth). According to the manual, an army could thus be both large and small. I don’t know how it works in details in reality.

An army who is in a province with a structure (allied or not) and  not in passive mode has a hide value of 1 which is the minimum. 
Also note that the hide value in the tooltip does not update automatically. A new “hide” is generated each turn. It is normal – this allows you to know what you opponent is seeing when playing his turn.

Detect Land /sea allows you to know the maximum level of hide an army can see on its own province.
The Detect Land / Sea of an army is the maximum detect you can find in the stack – regardless of the number of elements.
Generally speaking, detect is 2 for guns, 3 for “regular”, 4 for Cavalry and Scouts, 5 for Indians.

A territory with no army you control (51% military control or more) has 2 in Detect. 
You can add 2 to this if (Independence War campaign only) the region is loyal to you. Hostile regions neighbouring a province you control have its Detection -1.

If the Detection Value is Equal or more than your opponent Hide, you spot him. Else, you don’t. Nothing random here.

With the evade order, your unit can enter a zone with 100% enemy military control without switching automatically to the offense mode – so no battle forced upon you if your opponent is defensive
Even if your opponent is defensive, they are some chance – depending on the terrain, the size (and “evade/patrol” value) of both force, on the weather – that your opponent cannot corner you in combat.

National Morale
National Morale indicates how confident your troops are of victory.
It can increase the following ways :
- If you win a battle
- If you destroy enemy elements
- If you kill enemy leaders
- If you take a city

In this case, the enemy national morale is lowered symmetrically

You can also win (or lose) national morale by event (very rare in WiA) and you can lose National Morale if you promote someone “over the head” or another leader, if that leader has an high politics rating.

National Morale has major effects :
- It increases (decreases) the maximum cohesion of ALL your elements by 1% per 2 points of difference between your NM and 100. This can be very significant.
- It increases (decreases) the supply production by 1% in all structures per 2 points of difference between your NM and 100. Mostly insignificant.

In some cases, a very low / high National Morale (I think it is as low as 0 or as high as 200 means an automatic defeat / victory in the game. I never saw that happens in WiA, though, but it is possible.

Zone of control, Patrol, Evade
One of the game concepts that you can play without for quite a long time before it bites you savagely is zone of control. Basically, zone of control are provinces you cannot go into without fighting your way first.
Each region has a “patrol” value, which is calculated is the addition of :
- The sum of the “Patrol” value of all the units of a region, this patrol value being the average of the values of its elements.
- 100*The level of fortification of the province (if you own it)
This sum is then divided by the percentage of military control you have in the region.

This patrol value is then compared to the Evasion value of units trying to get through
The minimum value of the evasion value of an army (the better the higher) :
- A bonus if the weather is good, a penalty if it is bad
- A bonus if the unit is small, a penalty if it is big. Small is less than CP AND units large, large is more than 9 CP OR units large.

Once you have that, the Patrol value is divided by the Evade value. The “blocked” army cannot move in any adjacent region where its level of military control is less than this number.
Numerical example :
The enemy has a patrol value of 500. You want to go through with a gun unit (Evade : 2). You can only go in province with at least 500/2 = 250% of Military Control. Impossible.
The enemy has a patrol value of 500. Your cavalry has a Evade value of 12. 500/12 = 41,7% You can only go in the provinces where you have at least 42% of Military Control.
Remember you don’t count the Patrol value of the provinces you want to move IN. Only the ones you want to move TO.

Practical examples. In Montréal, the French patrol value is :
- A level two fort : 200
- The units – 34. I opened the French file to know this (the game is finished).
- Military Control : 75%
Patrol value : (200+34)*0,75 = 176

The Patrol / Evade might also have a link with the chance to be intercepted when avoiding battle, but I don’t know more.
Conclusion : it might be useful to send a small unit first when you want to go somewhere in enemy ZOC, so you raise your Military Control. Then, you can move the rest of the army.

Frontage
I won’t get into details on how battles are calculated, but let me remind you quickly how it happens :
- First hour : the troops engaged shoot at the longest range possible (here : 3 for some of Loki’s guns – at this distance my troops could not shoot back). After a “round” of firing, everyone advances and fires again (range 2 : my troops were at range), and again (range one), and then assault (which tends to be much more bloody than the fire phases).
- After the assault phase, the second hour starts, and new troops are engaged, at maximum range again (which granted is NOT so logical, but it works quite well nonetheless). There can up to 6 hours per battle. If after the 6 days the battle is not finished… it will start again next day.
- Between each “hour” (or maybe “phase”), the game calculates which units retreat (which is okeish) or flee in panic (which is worse), and also if the general on the whole orders a general retreat.
- There are a few other things that can happen during a phase, like a cavalry charge with special rules, sharpshooting, etc, but let’s not get into that.
The question is – which units engage ? In a small battle, everyone does. But in a larger battle, there is a “limit” on the number of units that can be engaged in each hour. How is it calculated ?

CUQ, SUQ and Weight
Each terrain / weather combination has a Combat Unit Quota (CUQ) and a Support Unit Quota (SUQ). This is the maximum weight of units (respectively combat units and support units) able to engage in battle each hour. 
Each element has a given weight for each terrain / weather combination.

Example for forest

CUQ: Max Weight 130
Light: Rangers / light - weight between 5 Clear to 9/10 Blizzard 
Medium: Other troops - weight between 7 Clear to 12 Blizzard 
Heavy: Cavalry - weight between 8 Clear to 15 Blizzard 

SUQ: Max Weight 40
Wheeled - weight between 8 Clear to 15 Blizzard 

How many engage
For each side and for each hour, the game picks combat units randomly until the total weight of the unit picked is equal to the CUQ, and then adds support units until their total weight is the SUQ. So guns don’t lower the number of infantry you can engage, it comes in bonus.
In this case, as Loki100 had mostly regular infantry, he could only commit 130/9 =14 elements – thus Loki100 had absolutely no advantage in number in this battle – at least in the first rounds.
Meanwhile, as the English, I had rangers (weight : 6), Light (weight : 7), and 20 elements of heavy (weight : 9). This means that I committed at worse (for me) the same number of elements, maybe more (but light), and those elements had a good chance of being of better quality (heavy). AND I was in defense.
Similarly, even though he had guns, each element of guns (“wheeled”) weights 10, so he could only field 4 of his 8 elements of guns.
Every hour, new units engage battle and replace the one that fought, so having a superior number, even beyond the CUQ, can be useful as it allows you to bring fresh troops to the front.

Who engages
It is fairly random, but here is an edited copy –paste from the wiki on biaises in the randomness:
- If the unit is already engaged, large increase of the chance to be picked. This only applies after the first hour, of course.
- If not already engaged, the number of hits (i.e., health) an element has (e.g., militia have lower total hits than line infantry so are less likely to be engaged).
- If the element is routed, chance to be picked is reduced. If it is, tough luck.

There is no precedence advantage for different types of elements, and no bonus if you have just one of something (like a sharpshooter), but the element’s special ability will still apply to its unit even if not engaged (first fire for sharpshooter applies even as a special “fire” phase just for them, and then they are not engaged).
If supply wagons are present, the game engine will not assign more than one supply element to combat as long as there are other types of support elements (e.g., artillery) available to fill the Support Units Quota.

How many engage
I lied a little because (still according to the wiki), there are some additional modifiers to how many units engage.
Armies in offensive posture get a -25% to their CUQ in Fort and City (attacking them is tough), and in very difficult terrains (NOT forest, more like swamps, mountains and hills) in rainy or blizzard weather . This did not apply to this battle.
All armies in open terrain (including woods, but NOT forest) get a bonus
- to their CUQ of 25*level of the leader * offensive/defensive (as applicable) rating of the leader,
- to their SUQ of 10*level of the leader * offensive/defensive (as applicable) rating of the leader.
So had Montcalm been in a open terrain, he would have brought his army a whooping CUQ bonus of 25*3(stars)*6(offensive) = 450 in CUQ. Huge. But not applicable here.

Other terrain factors
The terrain / weather combination also gives bonus and penalty to attack and defense according to range. 

It is hard to see a target from far in a forest, and everyone range had a minus 1 penalty, and in any case max range is 3 
That’s why my infantry with range 3 did only shot at range 2 
That’s also one firing phase Loki did not have with his guns.
Moreover, even at that range, there is a 25% penalty to fire

There is also additional protection in forest for the defender, as you can see, and also a bonus to defense at assault (wrongly called DefFire, but it is assault as there is no fire at 0 range). Also note that my highlanders are better shoot than the French regulars, but more so much better in assault combat, so the fact that ranged combat was difficult advantaged them even more.
Note that there is data for range 4 and 5 because the developers never bothered to take them out. That data is never used – that’s why there are better than in range 3.
So as you can see, good weather and good terrain can be a difference between like and death. On the first glance I should have lost the battle, but when you analyse what happened, it is fairly obvious why I won.

A little alternative history 
Hypothesis : Had the battle occurred in a clear prairie by good weather (CUQ : 180 + Montcalm bonus 450 = 630, weight of infantry : 4), he could have brought 79 elements in battle and all his guns, who would had shot at maximum range, against my 56 elements, most likely forcing me to retreat. But because Loki100 could not engage all his more numerous troops in battle, my better troops beat his army.

Unit statistics
Offensive Fire (OF) : For each point of this statistic (which goes to 0 and 10) the unit has 4% of chance of hitting the opponent each time it fire. This value is used for the unit that attacks.
Defensive Fire (DF): For each point of this statistic (which goes to 0 and 10) the unit has 4% of chance of hitting the opponent each time it fire. This value is used for the unit that defends
Initiative : Determines who fires first. The one who fires first can hit and destroy an opponent before he fires back.
Range : Maximum range at which the unit can fire. Remember that in many case, the range is limited to a lower number by the weather or by the battlefield (forest for instance).
ROF : How many times the unit can fire in an hour of combat.
Remember that a battle is divided in (eight) hours, and each hour is divided in decreasing "phases", or "ranges". For instance, no one fires at range / phase 10 to 5, then range 4 the guns fires as many times as it has ROF (i.e. : once),
then range 3 the gun fires once more, and so do everyone with range 3, and so on, until hand-to-hand combat. If your unit has short range and good hand-to-hand, try to attack in forest.
Protection : Each point gives 4% less chance to be hit. In general, it is 0 or 1 (except ships), but in some terrain it gets improved for the defender. Each level of entrenchment ALSO adds one.
Discipline (or Troop Quality) : Gives the chance that the unit retreat when hit, and also commands a few other important items (like the chance that the unit form a square in case of cavalry charge). Actually important to win the battle, but not so much to kill opponents. Also, before an assault, both units must do a Discipline check. If both fail, no assault takes place.
Assault (X/X) : For each point of this statistic (which goes to 0 and 10) the unit has 4% of chance of hitting the opponent in close combat (i.e. when range is 0). The first value is used for the unit that attacks, the second for defense.
Range damage (X/X) : How much hit/cohesion points the unit inflicts upon hitting the opponent in range combat. The first number is hitpoint (in general 1), the second cohesion loss.
Assault damage (X/X) : How much hit/cohesion points the unit inflicts upon hitting the opponent in assault. The first number is hitpoint (in general 1), the second cohesion loss.
Cohesion : Well, current and max cohesion of the unit. What is important is the ratio : a unit with 100% cohesion will fight like it should, I UNDERSTAND that a unit with say 75% cohesion will have a 75% modifier to its chance to hit and maybe damage dealt in assault.
Movement: This entry indicates the element’s Movement type. Movement types include Infantry (heavy and light), Cavalry (heavy and light), and Wheeled (normally used by supply wagons and artillery units). Note: Horse artillery units are classified as Heavy Cavalry.
Speed Coefficient: This value represents a multiple used to calculate the speed of individual elements. The higher the co-efficient, the faster units are able to travel. For example, a heavy infantry unit needing three (3) days to enter a region with Forest-terrain would have its speed coefficient of 150% reduce this time to only two (2) days.
Detection vs. Land Units: This value represents the ability of an element to detect enemy land units. The higher the value, the better able an element is to detect an enemy land unit.
Detection vs. Sea Units: This value represents the ability of an element to detect enemy naval units. The higher the value, the better able an element is to detect an enemy naval unit.
Hide Value: This value represents the ability of an element to escape detection from enemy units. The higher the value, the better able an element is to escape detection.
Weight: This number indicates the relative size of the element (in transport capacity) and is used when the element is transported by naval units.
Support Unit: Yes or No. This entry indicates whether the element is a combat element or a support element.
Police: This number represents the amount of policing an element contributes to gaining military control over a region on the game map. It is expressed in Police points per day.
Supply: These numbers represent the number of General Supply points currently stockpiled by the element/ maximum General Supply point capacity.
Ammo: These numbers represent the number of Ammunition points currently stockpiled by the element/ maximum Ammunition point capacity.
Patrol/Evade: The values represent the element’s ability to block enemy movement (i.e. Patrol value) out of a region and the element’s ability to ‘Evade’ or bypass enemy units (i.e. move through a region containing enemy units). The higher the value, the greater chance an element has of blocking enemy movement and evading enemy units.
Blockade: The value represents a naval unit’s relative ability to institute a blockade of an enemy harbor (naval units only). The higher the value, the greater the unit’s contribution to the blockade calculation. (The collective blockade values of all friendly naval units in the sea zone are totalled in order to calculate the blockade’s effectiveness.) 

Leaders : Offensive increases by 5% the total chance to hit to units in attack per point of offensive, but you have to substract 5% per point of defensive of the unit in defense. The opposite is true (the unit in defense has 5% more chance to unit per point to hit the opponent, minus 5% per point of the leader in attack.
You can never have a penalty to shoot due to your leader weakness compared to the other leader.
Also, if command is insufficiant in the stack, you need to add the penalty (up to 35%) at that point, AND you lose 1 in ROF (to a minimum of 1).

So overall, in a normal combat, the chance to hit per shoot is, for a unit on attack is :
[Unit AF (1+(Leader Offensive – Enemy Leader Offensive)*5%) – Unit Protection] * 4%

John is a provincial. The only people he hates more than the French are the English. He will put all his heart in defending his native Virginia, and maybe some effort to defend the rest of the colonies. Maybe. He will also want to go home for winter, because he has some fields to tend.
Jenkins is a Scot. He hates the English. He really hates them. Also, he wins war for them. He is no friend of Wilson, despite their common ground on the English, except when fighting the French, whom are his friends. Yes, Jenkins is a person of many paradoxes, for he is a Scot.

Now, let’s suppose that John and Jenkins are on the opposite side of a battlefield. Just the two of them. What would happen ?
The sun is shining, the battlefield happens to be John’s property, so no other modification. And Jenkins is attacking Scott.

Both John and Jenkins have a range of 3. With his 9 in initiative, Jenkins the Scot fires first at range 3, and has a chance of 9 (OF) *4% = 36% to hit poor John. Well, suppose he misses.
John shoot back : 6 (DF) * 4 = 24% chance to hit assertive Jenkins. It fails.
Now, both characters are at range 2. They fire once more, with the same chances to hit. John is hit, and lose 1 strength point and 5 cohesion.
At range 1, both John and Jenkins have “exhausted” their rate of fire, so no one shoots. It is time for assault. Both do some sort of test against discipline here. Assault is very much a two-way thing, so if either succeeds, it is assault phase, else back to Hour 2 – Range 3. If one side one succeeds the assault check, he will get a significant damage bonus I cannot number, too.The attacks are simultaneous (no initiative) and with his 11 * 4 = 44% of chance of hitting John, Jenkins takes away one more hit and 7 cohesion from John. John misses his assault round. At the end of the assault, the attacker always lose 2 cohesion, and the defender 1.
John has lost 5 + 7 + 1 = 13 cohesion out of 42. With its low discipline, and its even lower effective discipline (13/42 * 5 = 3,4), John decides survival is the best part of valor, and flees the battlefield before the second round.

Now, let’s introduce some complications. John was defeated by Jenkins because he forget to use what he learnt against Louis, back then during the FIW.
Back then, John had waited the French fortified in some wild place [wilderness], so he had quite a few bonus. 

Louis is French. He hates the English, bien entendu. Also, he finds snails yummy, and believes taste is a reason good enough to torture ducks and geese. Especially geese.
He is also quite elite.
François is a Québecois. He never saw France, but was told a lot at school (a Catholic one) about his ancestors the Gaulois. When he grew older, on the advice of his catholic priest, he became a Courrier, which means he runs a lot between Montréal and Indian villages. He has 5 brothers and 4 sisters, whom he meets frequently at the church. He does not hate the English in particular, but he hates heretics, and English happens to be heretic. Also, he is irregular infantry.

The weather was rainy. While both opponents have a range of 3, the rainy (=”mud”) modifier has a RangeMod of -1, so the first shots were exchanged at range 2 (no impact for the little feud between Louis and John, but it would have if someone had a ROF of 3 - like François).

Louis shoots first : 9 DF * 4% = 44%, but Louis must apply the ATKFire0 modifier of 75%, so overall Louis has only 33% of chance to hit. But that’s neglecting that John got the protection offered by the terrain, and his fortified bonus, so 2 in protection. Louis chances are down to 25%
To this 36%, Louis must apply the ATKFire0 modifier of 75%, so overall Louis has only 27% of chance to hit.
When John shoots, he has 24%*85% = 20% + 4% due to Louis negative protection. That’s 24% percent – not a significant difference with Louis.
On assault, both had a discipline of -1, though. (TQ2 modifier), so even then, John only survived that era because he had back up.

Note : I am not sure whether :
- The terrain penalty applies AFTER or BEFORE the protection modifier.
- I am not sure whether one can have negative protection.

As Louis saw the combat was difficult, he called François the Quebecois. As you can see, François on the attack use the “irregular” modifiers.
François is not at his best : his range and rate of fire advantage cannot be used at his fullest (2 rounds to fire only), but for the rest, it is a real pleasure to fight in wilderness.
Chance to hit on attack : 6 * 4% = 24% * 120% for terrain is 29%. Down to 21% after modification by John’s protection.
On the other hand, François got no less than 4 in protection (2 base + 2 terrain), so John has only 8% of chance of hitting him. The issue will probably be settled in the assault phase, in which with his 7 (6 base + 1 terrain) discipline versus 4 (5 base – 1 terrain), and 9 vs 7 assault and 4 vs 2 protection, François will most probably prevail.

John did not like those numbers, so retreated to a fort. 

As John was waiting them, the French wondered who to send (weather is clear) :
Louis would have 2 shoots with a chance to hit of =9*0,04 * 80% = 28,8%
François would have 3 shoots with a chance to hit of 6 * 0,04*50% = 12,0%
Add to this the 2 in protection that the militia has in the fort, and you are sure that Louis will lead the assault. John has 6 * 0,04% * 105% = 25,2% of chance to hit Louis. More than Louis has chances to hit John, after deduction of the protection.

I actually don’t know whether (but don’t think) terrain modifiers and crossing/landing are cumulative, so let’s suppose it is not. Also, let’s suppose it is snowing.

It was back when Jerkins and John were friends, and Louis wants to land where Jerkins is entrenched.
Louis chances to shoot : 9*0,04*30% = 10,8 %. Happily enough, no additional protection for Jerkins.
Jerkins fires back and has 39,6% of chance to hit. That’s before the attacker Protection penalty of -2
Guess who wins

My advice : don't land on enemy force. If you do, don't use any guns, but bring as much irregulars as you can.
There are many items I am not too confident about (for instance : assault, which I mostly avoided), and some I have no idea how it works (typically, the order of appliance of modifiers, the impact of cohesion and hits, the possibility of negative protection, ...), but this is a good base I believe to know who should win a skirmish.

How do I build a depot
You need eight elements of supply / naval transport in the same stack (bateaux don't qualify). No unit in the stack must be locked, for some reason.
In addition to the requirement for the correct units being healthy, in-supply and a required level of Military Control, the region cannot be contested by the presence of an enemy combat force.
Note that some raiders or natives may be stealthy in the region without being spotted, and so will prevent construction. Depot Construction Requires 30 Days to Complete. 

How do I build a fort
You need four elements of guns (heavy don't qualify, I believe) and four elements of supply / naval transport in the same stack (bateaux don't qualify). No unit in the stack must be locked, for some reason.
In addition to the requirement for the correct units being healthy, in-supply and a required level of Military Control, the region cannot be contested by the presence of an enemy combat force.
Note that some raiders or natives may be stealthy in the region without being spotted, and so will prevent construction. 

Hobbes

Sat May 22, 2021 9:43 pm

Of course once you take all of this in you then forget it and just get a feel for what works and what doesn't.
If your cunning plan might work in real life there is a good chance it would work in WiA. Always a sign of a good game.

Thanks Philippe.

Nikel

Sun May 23, 2021 3:59 pm

And you said you were getting old? :)

Hobbes

Sun May 23, 2021 7:04 pm

I can still manage to cut and paste :papy:

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”