There are several things in the game that are subject to misunderstanding or confusion. After consolidating several bug reports and questions from the forum and from messages directly to Hok, we are writing this thread in an effort to help clarify some of these.
Supply in WIA [and BoA
] is much simpler than in other AGEOD games.
An excellect explanation has been posted, but may be overlooked:
In particular, note that the supply filter colors change to shades of red if [color="Red"]NET supply is inadequate for the Total Demand of all your stacks in that region.[/color]
To change 'red' to 'green', you must either move some units away, or build a structure that generates supply [depot or fort]
A simple rule of thumb: To have adequate Supply:
[INDENT]The Supply level (as indicated by tooltip) x 5 must be greater that the total required (indicated by selecting each stack and looking at the tooltip hovering over the 'Supply' icon).[/INDENT]
II. Distant Unload
The tooltip for Distant unload doesn't make the procedure clear:
[INDENT]1. Load the land units onto the ships. The ships can either be in port or in a water region adjacent to land.
2. Move the stack to a water region adjacent to the land region you wish to attack.
3. Click on the distant unload button, then on the target region. The target region should then 'pulse' blue to confirm your selection.[/INDENT]
These steps may be done in any order, as long as all 3 steps are done.
The land uit can march a distance, load onto a ship at sea, the loaded ship then moves, and distant unloads. Of course, all this must occur within the length of the turn.
III. Training Officers and Unit/Element upgrades
There was a real bug in the earlier versions of WIA that as been fixed. It has since been tested extensively.
[INDENT]1. The Training Officer no longer must be in command of the stack (changed in patch 1.07a and later)
2. The stack cannot move that turn
3. The region must be at least in 51% Military Control
4. The units must be 'upgradeable': typically Militia, Provincials, Continental Regulars. This is defined in the models database.
5. Then, two elements in that stack will upgrade.
6. As soon as a majority of the elements have upraded, the unit will upgrade, (if a unit upgrade is defined in the units database.). (Example: a unit has 4 elements. 3 must be upgraded for the unit to upgrade)[/INDENT]
Note that any unit that has at least 1 'star' of experience and that meets #2, #3, and #4 has a 5% per star chance to upgrade automatically
each turn. This is the most common source of 'bugs' reported with the Training Officer function.
Also note: Training Master [or Drill Master] is a different ability: He does not need to be in command of the stack, he adds 1 'experience point' to each unit in the stack each turn. The number of 'experience points' needed to gain 1 'star' varies by unit type.
IV. General tooltip information on stacks or units
1. The numbers you see on units [your or enemy when close] in the tooltip are representing 'Overall Power'
of the units [similar calculations to "Power" of a stack]. These will indicate 'less than full power' when a unit is either missing elements, low in cohesion, or has some existing hits [red coloring in unit elements display]. It is the same number you will see in each unit selected in the unit panel: the small number near the 'status bars'.
1st Infantry 33/33 is a fully 'ready to go' unit.
1st Infanrty 15/33 could be either missing elements, low in cohesion, or has existing hits.
2. Transport carrying status is indicated by the tooltp as two numbers: Weight amount used/amount available.
Example: Transport 0/6 means 0 used, 6 available.
Each unit will indicate it's weight if you hover the mouse over it and read the tooltip. A stack will also indicate total weight in it's tooltip panel.
V. AI behavior
Lastly, we all see the AI do 'strange things'. After all, it's an AI.
The only way that Pocus and his team can do anything about AI behavior is to examine situations in the game as they arise. We MUST include savegame files for the turns involve, so that he can look at the 'decisions' the AI is making.
[color="Red"]PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include savegames with any AI issues reports. [/color]
Nothing much can be done without them....
Please enjoy WIA. I certainly do!